Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:14 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm not trying to be facetious, I'd like to hear some real answers. I know we give them a generous amount of aid, but what do we get in return? They sure haven't put any boots on the ground in Iraq or Afghanistan. And apparently they've been doing some technology/defense dealings with China.

Concrete examples preferred.
Can't think of anything off the top of my head. The Israelis have been pretty good in the scientific and technological fields but these aren't necessarily direct contributions to America. As you noted there have been no Israeli contributions in terms of troops to American war efforts.

I actually have no problem with American support of Israel. The two countries share similar values and ideals. The problem I have is the appearance of a giant country like America being led my the nose by such a small country.

If Israel is of such importance in the world why isn't China involved in the peace process for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 02:20 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be facetious, I'd like to hear some real answers. I know we give them a generous amount of aid, but what do we get in return? They sure haven't put any boots on the ground in Iraq or Afghanistan. And apparently they've been doing some technology/defense dealings with China.

I'd like to know what Vietnam, Somalia, Bosnia and Kosovo have done for the United States. We sacrificed more in those places than we ever have in Israel.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Enemies. Possibly nuclear-armed ones, especially if Pakistan tips the wrong way (more than they already have).

That's what we get in return. **** Israel.
True I have no illusions about which group of people are our friends in that part of the world. However Israel decided to setup shop in a dangerous, hostile part of the world. I don't think it is fair for America to continuously dedicating blood, treasure and putting aside our interests for Israel.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:

Nothing, cut 'em loose. They don't have to live with Mommy and Daddy anymore.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I'd like to know what Vietnam, Somalia, Bosnia and Kosovo have done for the United States. We sacrificed more in those places than we ever have in Israel.
America can be so nonsensical at times. It seems bailing out Muslim countries has been a cornerstone if our foreign policy for some time now.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
Egypt acknowledged Isreal's right to exist and made peace with Isreal in 1979....remember President Carter, Isreali Prime Minister Menachum Begin and Egypt President Anwar Sadat at Camp David.....that acknowledgement led directly to Sadat being assainated by members of his own military in 1981, which led to Hosnai Mubarki being president of Egypt...I think Mubarki is sitting in an Egyptian jail right now after he was forced to resign earlier this year......Egypt and Isreal are still at peace.
How long will that peace be in effect after the Muslim Brotherhood takes over in September? They surely are part of the group that wants to destroy Israel and are bound to take over this country from the inside through politics.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:27 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
America can be so nonsensical at times. It seems bailing out Muslim countries has been a cornerstone if our foreign policy for some time now.
Somalia, Bosnoa and Kosovo are all part of the reasons the Muslim world don't like us much. Their perception is that we interefere unecasserly in Muslim countries and Muslims die because of it.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
However Israel decided to setup shop in a dangerous, hostile part of the world.
This reads as though "Israel"... appeared like magic overnight in 1948.

Quote:
I don't think it is fair for America to continuously dedicating blood, treasure and putting aside our interests for Israel.
But what about when Israel put's aside it's own interests at the behest of America?
Like people, countries have relationships. Relationships can get complicated.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:45 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Um, no.

To be a Jew, you have to accept the religion of Judaism. It has nothing to do with a "state." In fact, Judaism doesn't even have the "concept" of a state!

So, if you are a Jew, you ought to follow the Jewish traditions. What traditions? They begin with Moses on the Mount Sinai, and the 10 commandments.
What are the commandments?
Thou shalt not kill (including Palestinians).
Thou shalt not steal (including houses).
Thou shalt not lie.
Thou shalt not covet your neighbor's property.

Zionists use the religion of Judaism as a pretext in order to push their plans for nationalism. They are not interested in Judaism. Therefore, they are not true Jews. Terrorism was started by Zionists, who used mail bombs against England in order to get them out of the territory.
Nowadays, Israel has white phosphorus, tanks, even nuclear missiles.

The tables have turned, my friend. We're not in 1945 anymore.

Peace,
brian
One of the beliefs of Judaism is that all Jews should live in the Holy Land of Israel.

The Bar Giora & Hashomer organizations were the first Jewish defense organizations created in Palestine during the Turkish/Ottoman rule before World War I in order to protect Jewish settlements from the Arab raiders. In 1920 the Haganah organization was formed for the same reason under the British Mandate in Palestine. So terrorism was not the original focus of the Zionists or their original military organizations. (From Hashomer to the Israel Defense Forces Armed Jewish Defense in Palestine)

Old 05-21-2011, 02:48 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) Depends how you define "done for us"...

2) What has Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan, etc. "done for us"?

3) Financial aid is also given to the Palestinian Authority. What had they "done for us"?
The Palestinian Authority hasn't even used that aid to develop their own people's resources in any significant way except for the purchase of weapons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies