Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry, I don't really see the correlation. Voting usually requires a short trip to a polling place near one's home. There are groups such as the League of Women Voters who will give people rides to the polls. Getting an older person dressed, into the car and out the door can be daunting. Your dad is one of the lucky ones. Getting an ID can require a trip to another town to the DMV, to an area the person is totally unfamiliar with. It can be enough to discourage a senior from doing it. And even worse, IMO, is the notion that you have to have one of these ID cards to vote!
Ahhh, the poor babies might actually have to go do something that the rest of americans have to do.. Again, why do you think seniors should be exempt from the same laws the rest of us have to follow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,907 times
[b]How many of these voter ID laws also address the lack of a paper trail? How many address voter intimidation?

I do know that in one state, I think it's Texas, there is a bill calling for a paper trail as well as a bill calling for voter ID. The bill calling for the paper trail was introduced and then put into a committee where it still sits. The Bill calling for voter ID is about to be sent to the Governor, or maybe has been already/B]

Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahhh, the poor babies might actually have to go do something that the rest of americans have to do.. Again, why do you think seniors should be exempt from the same laws the rest of us have to follow?
Thus far, there is no law for everyone else to produce a picture ID. And you'd think you might have some respect for your elders! One usually sees that kind of a post in regard to college students or 20somethings.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:20 PM

898 posts, read 827,796 times
Again, why does the left support voter fraud?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

I don't have a problem with the doing, it's the paying that I'm unwilling to do. When I have to pay for a copy of my birth certificate to vote, I see that as no different from a poll tax, so count me out.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
What support for voter fraud do you see in this thread?

Y'know, the funny (ironic) thing is that here in Colorado, almost all elections have gone to mail-in ballots. How ya gonna check ID on them?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Great. And now they can bring their state-issued ID card along with it.

Not when I have to pay for a copy of my birth certificate to renew my state-issued ID card. I'll do or show anything reasonable as long as it doesn't cost cash.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:29 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
"if they are mobile enough to go vote,then they are mobile enough to get an id"

Sorry, I don't really see the correlation. Voting usually requires a short trip to a polling place near one's home. There are groups such as the League of Women Voters who will give people rides to the polls. Getting an older person dressed, into the car and out the door can be daunting. Your dad is one of the lucky ones. Getting an ID can require a trip to another town to the DMV, to an area the person is totally unfamiliar with. It can be enough to discourage a senior from doing it. And even worse, IMO, is the notion that you have to have one of these ID cards to vote!

I think many are underestimating the elderly in this country. IMO, MOST are fine with being slightly inconvenienced for the betterment of their country. Most hold a much more responsible attitude than the younger people they have raised and are watching being raised. My Dad died 2 years ago at 86. He still had his original birth certificate, baptismal papers, SS card, military papers and still held a drivers license that was expired but was still a valid proof of identity. He was deaf and blind yet lived on his own until 3 weeks before his passing.

If you think the elderly are afraid of going to unfamiliar territory to get an ID you must not realize the True Changes they have witnessed in their lifetimes. The elderly IMO are the least likely to find a problem with this.

What is so traumatizing to you that someone should have to prove who they are to vote? We are currently on a cross country road trip visiting our children and found it interesting how many gas stations were only accepting pay at the pump (credit cards) as payment. Now that could be a scary scenario for many whose credit just took a nose dive. But an ID card? I don't understand why that would be frightening in the least.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:32 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
None of the examples you give are "state issued" ID although 14 year olds can't vote anyway, rendering that moot.

A lawn service ID is acceptable? A YMCA ID? Seriously? Those should be valid, but a person's signature isn't?

So you really think a person should have to get their picture taken at a DMV office to be able to vote? That sounds kind of totalitarian to me. Some of these old folks are going to be totally offended when they all of a sudden have to "prove" themselves after voting for 50-60 years or more.

My point was that the excuse that "picture ID is too hard to get" is pretty moot considering the number of places that issue it or require it.

To answer your question: Yes, I absolutely believe a person should be required to identify themself and, in some circumstances, prove residence in order to vote.

I'm 57 and get carded every single time I buy alcohol in MD and, depending on where it is, when I buy cigarettes. Friday it was at a Sheetz outside Hagerstown, MD. Yesterday I was carded at a wine shop in DuBois, PA, although that was because i was buying a case and needed a transit form.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:34 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post

Ask Senator Franken, he owes his seat to voter fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies