Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
If Israel is part of the "Holy Land," then I'm sure GOD Himself can defend it just fine, even without American funding (3 billion/year).

Let's leave it in God's Hands!

Blessings,
brian
If you truly believed this you'd leave it in God's hands rather than trying to pervert Christianity to support your personal beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
If Israel is part of the "Holy Land," then I'm sure GOD Himself can defend it just fine, even without American funding (3 billion/year).

Let's leave it in God's Hands!

Blessings,
brian
Could it be that God has chosen US to defend Israel? Throughout the Bible God used other nations to either punish or help Israel, so why not now?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The point it that it is not Obama policy or Bush policy, it is US policy, and has been for a long time.

However, it will never materialize since it is designed to be rejected. Palestinials already said "NO WAY", and Israel says the same. Every US president in the past 40 years (even Reagan) has stepped in the front of the cameras to talk against the settlements on occupied territories. And behind the closed doors we assure Israel that nothing will change.
And both are being stupid especially Israel, because the status quo that favors Israel might shift soon if they don't do something. From what I can tell Obama is desperately trying to get both sides to the negotiating table by Sept. because if Israel is not seen as negotiating in good faith by then half the EU (including the UK and France) and possibly China have threatened to recognize a unilateral Palestinian declaration of independence. I cannot believe the number of people who thing this is solely about Israel, Palestine, and the US. In the long run EU and China are far more important than Israel and Palestine combined and it would be easyier to at least have some negotiations then the alternative.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
And both are being stupid especially Israel, because the status quo that favors Israel might shift soon if they don't do something. From what I can tell Obama is desperately trying to get both sides to the negotiating table by Sept. because if Israel is not seen as negotiating in good faith by then half the EU (including the UK and France) and possibly China have threatened to recognize a unilateral Palestinian declaration of independence. I cannot believe the number of people who thing this is solely about Israel, Palestine, and the US. In the long run EU and China are far more important than Israel and Palestine combined and it would be easyier to at least have some negotiations then the alternative.
Bush and Obama both included certain things in their plan to make is balanced and so that both sides would have to give something, and that the plan would not favor one side too much over the othert. Obviously Israel would be required to give up land, and Palestinians were asked to recognize Israel as a Jewish state and to disarm. Palestinians refuse to do either. How do you think there will be peace if the Palestinians won't even recognize Israel as a Jewish state. PL offers NOTHING. 60% of Israelis actually support the two-state solution, but PL agreed to nothing, then it would not happen even if 100% supported it.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Bush and Obama both included certain things in their plan to make is balanced and so that both sides would have to give something, and that the plan would not favor one side too much over the othert. Obviously Israel would be required to give up land, and Palestinians were asked to recognize Israel as a Jewish state and to disarm. Palestinians refuse to do either. How do you think there will be peace if the Palestinians won't even recognize Israel as a Jewish state. PL offers NOTHING. 60% of Israelis actually support the two-state solution, but PL agreed to nothing, then it would not happen even if 100% supported it.
It doesn't matter. All you need is Israel to act in good faith to the point where the Europeans will see the Palestinians as the uncooperative party and opt not to recognize them. Obama is simply trying to give them a way to do that. That will preserve the status quo. If Israel doesn't or cannot do that the s*** hits the fan for them. The main issue is this is bigger then Israel, Palestine and the US. Simple as that.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,218 times
ISRAELI PM URGES THE US TO RETURN TO 1845 BORDERS WITH MEXICO……. |

Old 05-22-2011, 11:00 AM

The difference is the majority of people in the Southwest don't want to be part of Mexico, but the majority of people in the West Bank want to part of an independent Palestine.

On top of that last I checked every person who was born in the Southwestern US has equal protection under the laws and can vote there and in federal elections and has representation in DC. I don't think that is the case for everyone born in the West Bank and for some reason I doubt very much Israel would ever give people who have were born in and lived in the West Bank for generations the right to vote, or equal protection despite their claims that it is part of the Israel.

The fact of the matter is the US is the best country in the world and any country is setting itself up for failure if they try to compare even in satire.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 05-22-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
No, conversion to Judaism is another way to gain citizenship. Jews of many different races live in Israel. Upon it's founding in 1948 Jews from Europe, Russia, the Middle East, and elsewhere immigrated. And let's not forget about the rapidly growing Arab Muslim minority in Israel.

Also, many countries link citizenship with ethnicity. Off the top of my head I know many European countries will let you apply for citizenship if you can demonstrate at least 1/4 of your grandparents are/were citizens.

Both sides have committed wrongs in this struggle, so there are plenty valid points to be made without fabricating something new. By the way, I believe the neither the US nor any other country, IGO, NGO, whatever has the right to tell Israel to shrink it's size. It's their business and I personally support them. Not even bringing religion into it, Israel is the most successful Middle Eastern country by far. How many more Nobel Prize winners has Israel produced than the entire Arab world? Israel should be a role model to its neighbors, not a pariah. I think Israeli existence and safety should be supported but we shouldn't turn a blind eye to the Palestinians. Judging from the multiple wars launched by the Arabs (some before 1967) and the current terrorism/rocket launches, appeasement is a fool's game. So, other than just ceding land, how can we fix the problem? Massive Israeli and Arab investment into the Gaza strip, elevating their standard of living. But, no business would take this risk currently. Too many bombs!
That's true, but there is a difference between citzienship and race. A very important one.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,044 times
That whole "indefensible" argument is ridiculous. Its doesn't matter if Israel is the size of Maryland with the West Bank and Golan Heights or the size of New Jersey without them, its still a tiny state. A few extra miles one way or the other doesn't matter to a rocket.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:39 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Israel is the only officialy racist country in the world, meaning that belonging to a certain race grants you the right to be a citzien
Actually that is not true. Israel grants automatic citizenship to anyone who is of the Jewish religion and they can be of any race on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies