Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

Black people in general (at least on C-D) do not like to acknowledge the facts about their race. The OP is one such black person that I have gotten into it with on numerous occasions. I am supposedly racist b/c I state facts and statistics regarding blacks versus whites. Just wait, anyone who posts on this thread will be next to be labeled a racist!
You just couldn't wait.

What EdwardA has just stated (although I haven't seen any evidence of it; last I checked, only around 25% of AAs were listed below the poverty line) is that 1/3 of blacks are poor. That's still not most, genius, so there's nothing here I have yet to deny.

#FAIL

Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
About a 1/3 of Blacks are poor and the majority of whites are deemed middle class or above. The disparities between white wealth and black wealth are well documented.
Middle class is not affluent.

I never said there were not differences between the financial status of blacks and whites, but there seems to be a large amount of misinformation on this site that paints the image of most blacks being lazy or destitute and most whites being well off.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 PM

Most whites are not wealthy = FACT
Most blacks do not live below the poverty line = FACT

That is all.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Middle class is not affluent.

I never said there were not differences between the financial status of blacks and whites, but there seems to be a large amount of misinformation on this site that paints the image of most blacks being lazy or destitute and most whites being well off.
You are correct about a quarter of Blacks are poor however 1/3 of Black children are poor that's the stat I was referencing.

I don't know who would make the assertion that the majority of whites are affluent. It seems too ridiculous to make a thread about.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
I'm just so sick of hearing these stereotypes, so let's just get it out in the open now.
Thanks for sharing.....

Old 05-22-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You are correct about a quarter of Blacks are poor however 1/3 of Black children are poor that's the stat I was referencing.
Not what you said. Either way, it still is not most, so what's the point of bringing it up? In no way does it refute what I said.

Quote:
I don't know who would make the assertion that the majority of whites are affluent. It seems too ridiculous to make a thread about.
Hardly. There are countless threads throughout that hint at these assertions...by both blacks and whites; Democrats and Republicans. This is not nearly as one sided as some of you are suggesting.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
We can all make the same and Blacks on average would still have less money than Whites. They spend their money a lot less safely than Whites and seem to live for the day rather than the future.
This is an interesting point because even when you control for income there are still wide disparities between the races in terms of wealth, even among higher income groups.

I wonder how much inherited wealth is a factor as opposed to the dynamic you cite.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Thanks for sharing.....
Much obliged.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:29 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

Black people in general (at least on C-D) do not like to acknowledge the facts about their race. The OP is one such black person that I have gotten into it with on numerous occasions. I am supposedly racist b/c I state facts and statistics regarding blacks versus whites. Just wait, anyone who posts on this thread will be next to be labeled a racist!
LOL Someone accidentally repped me for the above post instead of hitting report. The comment they gave was "rude." This goes back to the point I made above...it's apparently racist and now rude to state facts about blacks that do not portray them in a positive light.

Personally, I think it's racist and rude to call someone a racist or rude for stating simple facts.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
You just couldn't wait.

What EdwardA has just stated (although I haven't seen any evidence of it; last I checked, only around 25% of AAs were listed below the poverty line) is that 1/3 of blacks are poor. That's still not most, genius, so there's nothing here I have yet to deny.

#FAIL
Well, considering that I nor any other poster here stated that "most" blacks or whites are anything....

25% or 33%...not a whole lot of difference. It's too many, period.

And what couldn't I wait for? I posted when I saw the thread, it's not my fault you happened to post the thread right before I refreshed the main P&OC page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies