Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times

Advertisements

u r wrong. american patients are coming to india for surgeries. in india there is no waiting time at all. in USA there are long waiting times for appointments as well as prices are lunatic. american health care system is the worst in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So if you're British and have already paid for your medical care with your taxes, you have to wait more than six months for treatment, but an American paying cash goes to the front of the line?

Yeah, I see how they "compete".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 AM

US postal system is reliable and efficient. anytime better then UPS which is not only expensive, pays less to its employees and you never know when your UPS parcel is coming. wait from morning to evening anytime UPS may come. unreliable and expensive stuff. USPS is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Your post only proves that the government is incapable of running a business.

Successful businesses change with the times.

When needed, you downsize.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
u r wrong. american patients are coming to india for surgeries. in india there is no waiting time at all. in USA there are long waiting times for appointments as well as prices are lunatic. american health care system is the worst in the world.
You’re correct. In fact, I visited a hospital in South India last month and met an eighty four year old reverend who just went through a by-pass surgery and was recovering from it. The surgery happened just as soon as nearly a dozen tests on risk/benefits were performed. Total cost: $5K that the person’s family paid in cash which included two weeks recovery in a private ward.

The problem here in America is that a lot of people are so clueless about the world beyond the American borders that they rely entirely on their favorite media to tell them what it is like out there. They love the beauty in the flower vases and the reception area more than they care about the cost and access to health care services.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Look at population of china or india. there populations are 4-5 times more then USA. why is health care so cheap there and why are thousands of american coming to India every year in the name of medical tourism for surgeries/dental treatment which they can never afford in USA??????? american health care is broken, seriously flawed and geared towards increasing profit for insurance companies and screws hardworking americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
First of all, running a health care program for a tiny country, can be manageable, running one for 300 million people, with vastly different ethnic, cultural, regional and lifestyle differences would be extremely complex.

I personally reject a one-size-fits-all health care plan, because I do not trust a bunch of faceless, nameless bureaucrats to know or care what my own personal needs are. Every election cycle, politicians will use the failed health care system, that they manage, to run their campaigns on. And every year frightened and desperate people will vote for the snake oil salesman who promises them a cure.

The snake oil politicians already run their campaigns on SS and Medicare, creating bogeymen to scare monger the people who are completely dependent on these programs; they'll gladly do the same with a universal health care system.

At least with a private insurance plan I can shop around for what plans fit my needs, and threaten to leave them if their service is lacking or does not serve me properly. In a single payer government plan, I'm screwed and have no where to go, and no other choice.

I also would not put it past the nanny statests to want to write laws trying to government our lives, as a way of ostensibly saving taxpayer money on health care. I can see these faceless, nameless bureaucrats in Washington, deciding what foods we were allowed to eat, and what lifestyle choices were considered acceptable, with a one size fits all mentality. They are already deciding what foods schools are allowed to serve children for lunch, why would they stop there?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Haven't had that much waiting for any of my surgeries, except when I chose to do it at a later date. I won't be coming to India (or any other country) for surgery any time soon .... heard too much about their complication rates.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Great Post Grim Reader...... Factual and right in what you say.
All i can see from the anti UHC brigade is unfounded arguments. It's like watching someone clinging on with dear life to a blade of grass as they hang from a cliff and then telling everyone that this is a good place to be. No matter what size or demographics of the Countries that have adopted a UHC it works and works well. This continual argument that the Govt will control our health care is not only wrong but does not happen. The Govt funds the UHC and the medical professionals adminstrate and control the treatments. In the USA the health system is run and controlled by the non medical insurance companies with the medical services under tight control and can only give treatments that have been approved by the insurance companies. This is by far more rationing and control than by any Govt. when they fund a UHC.
I love the completely illogical argument that a country with 300 million people has a impossible task in affording a UHC.... tell that to Japan or other big Nations who have succesful UHC's...seems they didn't get the right wing memo. The more people then the more input so no difference to a small Country with less input.
Having the right to buy insurance across State lines will simply bring prices up everywhere NOT bring them down. Insurance Companies all over the USA will decide on the Premiums ans just like any huge National corporation the premiums will suit the highest price not the lowest. These things tend to favour the higher premiums and not the lower as high profit is the goal.
I am just amazed that anyone can fall for the fear mongering on here about UHC's which are extremely succesful in big or small Countries while the Insurance based health system here fails millions and costs a fortune to run.
In Countries with a UHC the private insurance companies are still viable as you will always get a percentage of people who want to jump the queus or feel that they are getting a superior health cover. The big difference is that they have to compete with a UHC and no longer have the monopoly and cannot charge outrageous premiums. This way Everyone does get health care and anyone who want a private health scheme can do that too. In the USA it is the other way round not everyone can get health insurance....millions with NO health care and the wealthy or those with jobs with health care get great health care.... very lopsided. How can anyone not want a system that allows everyone to get great treatment of their choice...... oh i know how...... Pure Elitism and greed.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Haven't had that much waiting for any of my surgeries, except when I chose to do it at a later date. I won't be coming to India (or any other country) for surgery any time soon .... heard too much about their complication rates.
Where?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The big difference is that they have to compete with a UHC and no longer have the monopoly and cannot charge outrageous premiums. This way Everyone does get health care and anyone who want a private health scheme can do that too.
If UHC was so wonderful why would anyone want private health care? Isn't UHC enough?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
If UHC was so wonderful why would anyone want private health care? Isn't UHC enough?
That is like saying, if getting a salary was great, why would anyone want a bonus?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That is like saying, if getting a salary was great, why would anyone want a bonus?
So the UHC isn't as universal as advertised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies