Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
One of the main problems with our healthcare system is the fact that malpractice insurance and the health insurance premiums are too high in the first place. If there are more doctors in certain specialities the malpractice insurance will drop naturally (think group health/life insurance) the other factor will still depend on the compentency of the individual physicians. The one other thing, the physicians would be given incenitives to do more preventive medicine, which in itself decreases hospital visits
The reason group insurance was always cheaper, is because it helped distribute the risk and made a group closer to what was considered the "typical" amount of risk overall.....less of an ability for a "spike" to make an impact. It doesn't work that way any more because of all the mandates placed on group now and not on individual (when it can be underwritten)....group can now be a lot more expensive.

If your a doctor, you need malpractice insurance insurance. We're not going to have more doctors (if anything less), any incentive to get people to become doctors, is because not enough will want to still enter the field as a career.

You can get sued just as easily with preventative medicine as with anything else. They can create a problem that wasn't there to begin with or miss one that should have been caught because they're too busy concentrating on preventing others. Anything can happen, they're treating human lives that can be unpredictable at times and they get sued by lawyers that need to file lawsuits on behalf of others to get a paycheck. They make settlements with the malpractice insurers that always wants to stay out of court.....there's a price they're always willing to pay, even for the weakest cases. It's always going to cost something for the insurer, they have a legal staff but, they just work with the law firms that they contract with in each state where they're being sued. If it's an easy case for them to win, they still have to pay the legal cost to do it and that can be a lot in itself. They usually a stand zero chance of collecting legal fees from an individual even when they get a judgement against them (and that's hard to get too). The fact is, they have a whole bunch lawsuits that are winable but, not cost effective to take to court so, they settle to get out of them and that's exactly what lawyers that file those kind of lawsuits realize and count on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 11:18 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Are you drunk???

What American would want to be in the British system..
Only anybody who has ever dealt with their health insurance company?

My health insurance company actually always pays my claims on time and I've never had a problem, but I have worked for a health insurance company and the **** we did to people -- paying customers, mind you-- made me sick.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:35 AM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not really.

If it is that important to you to have insurance coverage, you will find a way.

The problem is, it's only important as long as someone else is paying for it.

I agree about personal responsibility but in the case of health care I don't buy the sound bites of how anyone who can't pay for their medical or doesn't have health insurance just isn't trying hard enough or being responsible enough.

This side of the argument always paints the everyday American as the one lazy and "buying a flat screen instead of insurance" and never never never thinks or admits of the possibility that the so called industry or corporations are taking people for a ride. Their side of the argument is the business people must be god fearing upstanding Americans who are rich only by hard work and would never...never exploit.

Hard to paint a working class plumber or truck driver as lazy because he can't afford medical bills when there are other things to consider that are a must to GO TO WORK and live like fuel, food and water all of which keep rising yet his pay doesn't. Hard to paint a hospital as good moral Americans working hard in a gawds greatest country when they charge a operation at $30,000 but then go "ok" to the insurance company for a settlement of $10,000 for it. So that means the operation was only $5000 reality and still profiting yet Joe that plumber is given a $30,000 bill without insurance. Of course once Joe looses his job due to down sizing he looses his insurance and if his operation was for cancer or something he can't get insurance again even if he pays the premium in cash. The insurance will say he is too risky to profit.

Yes Joe, we have the ability to save and treat you but you are not rich enough so therefore your life is s***in meaning. Now if you are Hitler or a mobster and super rich well come on in show the money and we'll save your life and we have all the medicine you can afford...

Old 05-28-2011, 10:59 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
They don't understand the gov would be a much less expensive and more efficient insurance provider. It's a simple concept they refuse to grasp.
Yes, because the government does little or nothing in an efficient and less expensive manner than the private sector.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why do you thing publicly funded health care is "free"? You'd pay for it in taxes.
That is correct, and I've no desire to increase my tax bill.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I couldn't less about my opinion be in the majority or minority, as long it gets the job done and in this case to point at hypocrisy.
I'd say this is incorrect .... you obviously care very much that the majority share your view so we can have UHC.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Yes, because the government does little or nothing in an efficient and less expensive manner than the private sector.
Oh really? Look up the overhead costs in private v public insurance.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Oh really? Look up the overhead costs in private v public insurance.
I have something better to look at .... the amount of debt run up by Medicare and Medicaid.

In my spare time, I'll look at the VA.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:09 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I have something better to look at .... the amount of debt run up by Medicare and Medicaid.

In my spare time, I'll look at the VA.
Add 30% to Medicare's bottom line and they're in great shape

Old 05-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Add 30% to Medicare's bottom line and they're in great shape
Shouldn't need to do anything, if our government is such a model of efficiency. As it's non-profit, their books should balance perfectly right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies