Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:39 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I used to consider myself an American. Until this past January 20th.
What are you now? A Canadian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 06:41 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I used to consider myself an American. Until this past January 20th.
So you renounced your US Citizenship?

Highly unlikely.

Whether I liked or didn't like President Obama, he was still my President and I was a proud American.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hmm, I think I'll stir the pot.

It's been my observation that some nationalities tend to be clannish (that may not be the right word but it's the one I'll use) and will stick to their home nationalities for generations. Italians come to mind along with the Irish for a long time. Not the Scots-Irish who tended to welcome anyone that would work. The Germans tended to branch fairly early.

Adding religion, Jews also have tended to stick within their religion. I grew up in the time when good Protestants had little to do with Catholics, especially when it came to dating. That did change as I grew up but the undercurrent from both her family (Catholic) and mine (not) was still there when Mrs. NBP and I got married in 1981.

What I'm seeing now, since I teach, is that African parents are having a real problem with their kids dating American born kids. Hispanics not so much as long as the date is not Black or Anglo. And yeah, I know that one can be both Black and Hispanic but the Hispanics I come into contact with tend to be from Mexico or other Central American countries.
Agreed.

Tho with "Hispanics", especially those who are def "white" looking at them, the families who DON'T speak Spanish are almost always Ok with their kids "dating out". Tho the crazy and sad thing is many Black Hispanics like Dominicans would rather have their kids date anglo whites over American Blacks. Prejudice can go in some crazy directions.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:43 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
I always get a kick out of it. I wonder how many "Italians" would get laughed at behind there back if they actually visited Italy and claimed that. I'm bringing them up because that seems to be one of the most vocal groups with a foreign ancestry that calls themselves by their ancestry. But they are very patriotic to the US and truly are Americans but it seems many have pride in there ancestry as well.

I myself am 100% American though my mom was born in Norway and immigrated here in her 20's. I have never considered myself Norwegian American or Norwegian as I'm not. I only visited that country twice when I was younger. My mom on the other hand, recieved her naturalism before I was born (in the 60's) and all my life has considered herself an American. The only time she claims Norwegian is when asked about her accent and then it depends on how the question was asked. She may answer "I'm Norwegian or just I'm from Norway!

Old 02-12-2017, 10:48 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What are you now? A Canadian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
So you renounced your US Citizenship?

Highly unlikely.

Whether I liked or didn't like President Obama, he was still my President and I was a proud American.
No, but we bought a home in Central Mexico and will stay there until tRump is gone gone gone. We cannot live in this fascist regime. We hope to return in 4 years. Maybe sooner if he's impeached. While we don't agree with Pence on much, he is reasonable and sane. I can live with that.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:05 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,366,655 times
People identify with their heritage. That's good in my opinion. I'm pretty sure I have some English and Dutch. I've traced my ancestry back 13 generations. A grand grandfather was killed by English Tories during the American Revolution and my family qualifies for SAR and DAR status. I had grands that fought on both sides of the Civil War. Tracing family movement shows they help settle the west including Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, California and Washington state.

I can be proud of all that and proud to say I am American.

Anyone else that can trace their history, wherever that may be, and calls America home can be proud of their history and has every right to highlight their ancestry if they wish.

In my life, I do not think I have ever filled out a job application that did not ask if I was, white, black, American Indian, Hispanic or something. People have different feelings about it. Some like to flaunt their heritage while others do not think it matters and seem to take offense if you ask.

Bottom line is it is a personal preference. It may or may not matter to you but at least show some respect how others identify themselves as well as how you identify them.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:24 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
My ancestors came in the 1840s from France and various Eastern European countries. I only consider myself to be American. I wouldn't even know what to hyphenate myself as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies