Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
proof please
Come to Jeongja Dong, Bundang Gu, Seongnam Si, Gyeonggi Do, South Korea to get my original diploma and transcripts. Otherwise **** off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We're already living in a Fascist state or haven't you noticed that yet ?
Ummm....we don't. That's the thing with conservative voters, they don't have a real grasp of political or scientific concepts.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I still remember that we had this big-to-do meeting with the whole Junior High and High School. Apparently some girl with rich and/or influential parents had been grabbed or groped by somebody and her parents were on the warpath about it. So we had this big meeting where the Superintendent went on this long diatribe about "treating each other with dignity" and how grabbing and groping people in certain ways violates their dignity.

Did he have a valid point? Sure!

Actual results? About a month's worth of the majority of the high school grabbing one another's asses or other private bits and then asking, "So how's your dignity holding up?" Things like that. You got a bunch of very immature teenage folks thinking about it a lot more and then the most obvious thing happened: It became one great big ongoing joke. So the problem got many, many times worse from there.

Good idea to have a lecture on this sort of thing? I think not.
So why do most studies show the opposite effect?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
LOL, exactly! Expecting an immature group of kids to handle something big like this is wishful thinking. You're only going to make the problem worse because you'll actually have them ten times more focussed on it. So instead of making fun of each other over completely trivial things, now they can focus on something big and a lot more mean. Probably becomes great sport to heckle people with whatever politically correct was used in the meeting. In this case, "gecko" and "clownfish" just became an insult of the highest order. And heaven forbid that anyone ever actually gets a sex change in that class of kids.
The thing is that it goes beyond making fun and causing physical harm. Again parents like you have failed. So, instead of having children pay for your misgivings as a parent, the schools would like to remain a place of learning. Thus, the best way to avoid these situations by teaching students that people are different, but that's okay.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Homosexuality is as old as humanity itself, btw.
Side note: Interesting claim but it's kinda impossible to prove. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but at the same time how can you or anyone actually know that?? How do you test to see if the caveman you find the remains of was actually gay?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Ummm....we don't. That's the thing with conservative voters, they don't have a real grasp of political or scientific concepts.
There are many flavors of fascism. In general though it's opportunistic politics at work.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ya, I know. With people like Palin and Bachman maybe running for president, we could end up with a Fascist state should they get elected.
Hardly. Haven't you noticed the number of Executive Orders being promulgated by this administration? All the Czars and special departments that bypass congressional review. Wake up! The Far Left are the poster children for Fascism. They are the ones who want the Nanny States and the New World Order. You want true Freedom like what this country is supposed to be all about, vote Ron Paul. Now there is a man who truly wants to return the power and control to the people. Get rid of the Nanny Government Intrusion and all its economic waste.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Side note: Interesting claim but it's kinda impossible to prove. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but at the same time how can you or anyone actually know that?? How do you test to see if the caveman you find the remains of was actually gay?
We have stories and archeology to find out such behavior. Not to mention animal studies to determine that homosexuality is seen in nature.

Gay caveman: 5,000-year-old male skeleton 'outed' by way he was buried | Mail Online

Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
The thing is that it goes beyond making fun and causing physical harm. Again parents like you have failed. So, instead of having children pay for your misgivings as a parent, the schools would like to remain a place of learning. Thus, the best way to avoid these situations by teaching students that people are different, but that's okay.
Sniff. Sniff. Anybody smell Fascism?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
My dad was around in 64 as well. The thing is that differences scared people then, as they do now. That's the core of the debate. One side is scared and not wanting to listen to rationality, the other is not and is willing to take well taken and measured evidence presented to them. One side is essentially stuck and whereas the other side is not.

The same arguments persisted that telling about racial differences is too difficult.

Bullying won't go away completely, but we (and have) reduced it.

Homosexuality is as old as humanity itself, btw.

Maybe.... At 5 I was bullied by my first grade teacher. She was a victim of polio, which crippled her left side. I was born lefty, which was a crime back in 55 when I was in 1st grade.
For that I was placed in a trash can at the head of the class, and beaten with a yard stick.

At age 5 I was to small to do anything about it. My folks were deep in their own problems which ended in divorce. This event called Christmas vacation came to be, and at that point I no longer went to school. The school called sometime in March wondering where I was.

My grandparents saw to put me in several other schools, but at 4th grade i returned to the same public system and was bullied buy a boy 2 years older than me, also bigger than me, but in the same grade as me.

The way that ended was i punched him in the face, breaking his nose and 2 front teeth. I still bear the scars on my left hand from doing that. All I can tell you is that dead ended all the bullying from that day on for a long while.

Somethings just need to get sorted out the way things get sorted out. Not everyone is normal, not everyone is equal, and some folks will just have to suck that up. I sure don't fit into any cookie cutter mold myself at 59 years, but then I never wanted to in the first place.

I believe in lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies