Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:11 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times

Advertisements

On the other end of the spectrum - I hope people realize that Rush Limbaugh is also an entertainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
LOL what are you babbling about?
see post 103, where you claim Christians hurt people using God's name. I asked you why you hurt people, that is, what is your excuse for wanting to hurt Christians?.
If you still don't get it, **** and go watch your idol, he's on Pierce tonight.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
This echoes the point I tried to make about Westboro Baptist Church. In the '60s, most ministers were content to say that religion has nothing to do with Christianity...yet we know that Jesus taught that people love their neighbor as they love themselves. He said if a man asks for your shirt, give him your coat as well, yet look at the attacks on welfare. He healed and asked nothing, yet Christians oppose universal health care. .

You confuse charity with taking money from people. Charity is giving of your own money. Taking other people's money is not charity. It's not even close.

You propose not to "give him your coat as well". You propose to steal another man's coat and give it to somebody.

That's theft, not charity.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:08 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You want to play semantics fine.

Can you be a Christian if you disagree with the teachings of Jesus ?

Can you worship someone as a God yet find yourself at odds with most of his messages?
"Playing with semantics" is a non sequitur. I note with satisfaction your reluctance to return to the "core values" perspective. I take this as a grudging admission that it was the wrong terminology.

As far as your queries regarding Christianity are concerned, I would recommend that you review my post, with a long pause on my reference to "ambiguity." Mr. Maher and you are not breaking new ground by noting that there are doctrinal inconsisities -- and indeed, a certain degree of 'faith' -- involved in those who embrace the major religions...

As I made clear, there appears to be an unhappy family history involved in Mr. Maher's bitter skepticism.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-29-2011 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: off topic/rude

Old 05-29-2011, 05:58 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,791 times
Quote:
I like to shoot him in the head!!!

Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
Maher spoke a truth that applies to some. He is one of the many pointing out the failures of some in an effort to cause Christians to become complacent and non-active. For example, using his example, is it good to stand with a Bible in your hand and scream at gays? Absolutely not. But that doesn't mean that Christians should not take action, advocate and vote as they believe to be correct. If Christians got out and voted, not along the lines of their political party or what benefits them personally, but as Christ taught, our country would be in a different place.

Maher was right about Martin Luther King. King had a non-violent strategy, which is being employed by many, many, many Christians. Maher did not speak of that of course. King was anything but complacent. Complacency and being their own worst enemy is the downfall of a Christian. Maher actually is encouraging to me to be less complacent. Christ was not at all complacent. I think Maher, unwittingly, did a lot of Christians a favor. I hope they act on his challenge. He won't like the results if they do, though.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:18 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"Playing with semantics" is a non sequitur. I note with satisfaction your reluctance to return to the "core values" perspective. I take this as a grudging admission that it was the wrong terminology.

As far as your queries regarding Christianity are concerned, I would recommend that you review my post, with a long pause on my reference to "ambiguity." Mr. Maher and you are not breaking new ground by noting that there are doctrinal inconsisities -- and indeed, a certain degree of 'faith' -- involved in those who embrace the major religions...

As I made clear, there appears to be an unhappy family history involved in Mr. Maher's bitter skepticism. I hesitate to speculate on the source of yours.
Maybe Maher was an acolyte.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,791 times
Quote:
I was talking about Christians who reject the teachings of Jesus Christ. If this describes you, than oh well, so be it.

I'll repeat it again for the kids in the yellow short bus. Christians who reject the teachings of Jesus Christ are fake Christians.
those people should not even be called christians, once again if you reject the teachings of Jesus Christ you are not a Christian what is there to argue about. is this just another biggoted thread against Christians!! no liberals could not be biggots, could they? how non liberal that would be!!!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are contradicting yourself, again

Quote:
Mr. Maher and you are not breaking new ground by noting that there are doctrinal inconsisities -- and indeed, a certain degree of 'faith' -- involved in those who embrace the major religions...
Inconsistency, or as you put it inconsisities, is what I call hypocrisy, potato potatoe tomato tomatoe.

Quote:
As I made clear, there appears to be an unhappy family history involved in Mr. Maher's bitter skepticism. I hesitate to speculate on the source of yours.
Where did you get your psych degree from, Glenn Beck university? Did you take teabagging 101 there? Speculate all you want, I don't give a squat what any teabagger thinks about me. Continue with your typical right wing technique of ad hominem attacks and avoid the topic at hand.

Now I ask again, can you be a Christian teabagger when you refuse the turn the other cheek?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
those people should not even be called christians, once again if you reject the teachings of Jesus Christ you are not a Christian what is there to argue about.
You mean like people who want to shoot other people in the head for their opinions?

Quote:
is this just another biggoted [sic] thread against Christians!! no liberals could not be biggots [sic], could they? how non liberal that would be!!!
If a self-proclaimed Christian does not follow Christ's teachings, then that person isn't really so Christian as they say they are. I believe that is the basic gist of what Mr. Maher is trying to get across. From your somewhat incoherent posting above, it seems that you agree with him, your liberal hatred notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies