Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Federal Pay: Keep Frozen or Restart Traditional Automatic Raises?
Restart the traditional automatic step increases and Time-In-Grade increases 17 32.69%
Keep Federal Pay Frozen Until the Feds Are Paid Only Slightly More Than the Private Sector 34 65.38%
I don't care about this stuff. Its boring. Hey...how about that American Idol Finale? 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:16 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Because you won't find it. If a federal employee is telling you this they are wrong. That chart is from OPM's website. It IS the way it is. I was hired as a GS-13 step 7 and it is a 2 year wait for the next increase and it is based on performance.

You are correct in that you don't necessarily have to start as a STEP 1. It is based on your years of experience, your salary on the outside and what you need to be at, salary-wise, when you come into the government to match that.

If you are coming in, cold, from college with no current salary and you apply for a GS-12, you WILL come in as a STEP 1. If you are applying for a job, from a private sector job, with relevant experience, personnel will ask for your current pay stub and they will place you within the GS-12 range so that you do not lose any salary.

Your next step increase will NOT happen in one year if you come in as a GS-12 step 5. It just won't.

Quit posting incorrect information and acting like it is fact. I've posted the OPM rule for step increases and there is no way around that.
Many professional series went over to core comp and are no longer on the GS scale with steps. Usually new grads in professonal series (accountants, engineers, scientists) were hired at GS-5 or GS-7. What professional series are you speaking to that hires as a GS-12?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
All wages, public and private, should automatically increase to stay ahead of inflation. Let the cost of inflation be paid by the financial people that create it.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Many professional series went over to core comp and are no longer on the GS scale with steps. Usually new grads in professonal series (accountants, engineers, scientists) were hired at GS-5 or GS-7. What professional series are you speaking to that hires as a GS-12?

Here in the DC area, graduates can be hired in as GS-12s and even GS-13s. Both for engineering and the series I am in, financial management analyst.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Here in the DC area, graduates can be hired in as GS-12s and even GS-13s. Both for engineering and the series I am in, financial management analyst.
I don't know of any agency that hires at GS-12 or GS-13 for new grads without any experience. They don't hire new grads at a higher GS-level in DC, their grade requirements are fairly uniform throughout the country. Do you have a link to an agency hiring at the GS-12/13 level?

Typical bid below

USAJOBS - Search Jobs

Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I don't know of any agency that hires at GS-12 or GS-13 for new grads without any experience. They don't hire new grads at a higher GS-level in DC, their grade requirements are fairly uniform throughout the country. Do you have a link to an agency hiring at the GS-12/13 level?

Typical bid below

USAJOBS - Search Jobs
Here in my agency we hire "cost estimators" at even the 14 level right out of college. We also hired a GS-12 with a math degree. I'm not sure what more I can say.

Now besides your point, you do realize that I just arbitrarily used the GS-12 words to illustrate how step increased work. I could have used GS-5, GS-7, GS-9, or GS-14. So rather that discuss what I was illustrating in my post about STEP progression, do you really want to argue with me about who gets hired in at what grade? Because that's not what this topic is about.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Here in my agency we hire "cost estimators" at even the 14 level right out of college. We also hired a GS-12 with a math degree. I'm not sure what more I can say.

Now besides your point, you do realize that I just arbitrarily used the GS-12 words to illustrate how step increased work. I could have used GS-5, GS-7, GS-9, or GS-14. So rather that discuss what I was illustrating in my post about STEP progression, do you really want to argue with me about who gets hired in at what grade? Because that's not what this topic is about.
I now see that in your original post you were using GS-12 as an example, but later on you also stated that new grads are hired at GS-12 and up. Since this thread is relative to the salary freeze, I would expect that hiring a new grad into a position that normally requires years of experience is an issue.

Do you have a present link as an example to any of those positions mentioned?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I now see that in your original post you were using GS-12 as an example, but later on you also stated that new grads are hired at GS-12 and up. Since this thread is relative to the salary freeze, I would expect that hiring a new grad into a position that normally requires years of experience is an issue.

Do you have a present link as an example to any of those positions mentioned?

No I sure don't. I can tell you that one branch in my organization routinely fills their cost estimators with recent grads with mathematical degrees. We were all just discussing this a few weeks ago because they come into the government at such high grades and they basically have nowhere to go from that point. It is a very high pressured job which requires a high degree of mathematical aptitude and these types are hard to find. Is this the norm? No, but it happens. They also have more than just a Bachelor of Science Degree and most definitely have relevent intern work that probably helps them into the job.

This same group hired a young lady with math-type degree and a business minor right out of college as a GS-12. They may have counted her summer intern work at various places as relevant experience. This one I personally know because she went to college with my cousin's daughter and we helped her to get the job.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
First of all, there should be no such thing as an "automatic" pay raise. Pay should be on merit as it is in most private sector work.

Second, considering the traditional security people in public sector have, they should not expect to be paid at a rate highter or even equal to private sector pay.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:22 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
First of all, there should be no such thing as an "automatic" pay raise. Pay should be on merit as it is in most private sector work.

Second, considering the traditional security people in public sector have, they should not expect to be paid at a rate highter or even equal to private sector pay.
Exactly.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:37 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
So GreenGene, are you saying that retired federal employees pay higher Medicare premiums while those that retired from the private sector do not?
Some are.

Part of the Medicare legislation contains a "hold harmless" clause that states that if Social Security recipients who also are on Medicare do not receive a Social Security COLA for a given year, then for that year they will not pay for any increase in Medicare Part B premiums.

For federal retirees who are, as part of their retirement, receiving Social Security benefits, and also have Medicare Part B, the "hold harmless" clause kicks in, and their Medicare Part B premium does not go up. Federal retirees with Medicare Part B but who do not receive Social Security benefits would have to pay any increase in Medicare Part B premiums.

The law would have been changed, and the "hold harmless" clause would have been extended, via the Medicare Premium Fairness Act, but although the bill passed the House, as far as I can tell the Senate never acted on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies