Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,849,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You are misunderstanding what you are quoting

The federal laws are the supreme laws, true, but that only matters if the state laws CONFLICT with the federal laws. These laws dont conflict. There is no federal law saying the states cant do "x".

States write laws all the time that overlap federal laws. Look at murder, rape, drugs for example.
That's correct. There is nothing that says the state can't enforce e-verify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Give me an example.
I don't really have any good examples of state laws which exactly mirror federal laws... but I don't think that there's anything particularly preventing it.

Obviously, the most notorious example of a state legislating the enforcement of Federal laws is Arizona’s Senate Bill 1070. While I'm impartial towards the Arizona law, I think that the real problem is the Federal immigration law. I don't think that it should be difficult for people to immigrate to the United States.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:46 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,366,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is there a mental block somewhere?

It sets precedence! States can in fact enforce the federal immigration laws. that have been on the books for 25 years. The very laws our DOJ and our King and savior, say are exclusive to them to enforce.
Employing illegal parasites, has been illegal for as long as our nation has controlled our immigration.
That is not what the decision says.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,940,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But you didn't accurately quote me. hmmmm.....
There is no need to quote you when they are already posted here.. If you dont know what you said, then I have to wonder how you are going to take part in a discussion responding to what you said..

Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,438,574 times
Quote:
They could and did.

You hold all the cards, yet lose the game?

I was born on a Friday, but not last Friday....

That wasn't even a "nice try" post

Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You are misunderstanding what you are quoting

The federal laws are the supreme laws, true, but that only matters if the state laws CONFLICT with the federal laws. These laws dont conflict. There is no federal law saying the states cant do "x".

States write laws all the time that overlap federal laws. Look at murder, rape, drugs for example.
No misunderstanding. I agree with you.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,751,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I don't really have any good examples of state laws which exactly mirror federal laws... but I don't think that there's anything particularly preventing it.

Obviously, the most notorious example of a state legislating the enforcement of Federal laws is Arizona’s Senate Bill 1070. While I'm impartial towards the Arizona law, I think that the real problem is the Federal immigration law. I don't think that it should be difficult for people to immigrate to the United States.
When you claim you don't have any good example of state law that has no conflict with federal law, Arizona's law wouldn't be that, and as such can be ruled out.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,940,741 times
Quote:
They could and did.
Provide me with a list please. I'll wait patiently for you to backup your claims..

31,767 posts, read 28,751,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You hold all the cards, yet lose the game?

I was born on a Friday, but not last Friday....

That wasn't even a "nice try" post
Nice try.

42,732 posts, read 29,778,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Then why did it go to court?

Better?
Because the US Chambers of Commerce sued the state of Arizona?

When one entity sues another, it usually ends up in court?

What exactly are you arguing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies