Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That is what the Reps ran on in 2010 and we can see that it was just a ruse.

BTW, I think the main focus should be jobs. We've got 9 mil. people unemployed and nobody in power seems to care.

i do think that the republicans forgot what the last election was all about, and they need a reminder from their constituents.

as far as the issues, ending mandatory healthcare would be easier to fix than the unemployment situation- although i agree that unemployment has to be fixed if there is to be a true economic recovery.

high unemployment means less income and greater outflow, in the form of social services- a double whammy for the economy. i also don't see how anyone can fix the unemployment situation if they refuse to acknowledge the oversupply of labor issue and deal with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i do think that the republicans forgot what the last election was all about, and they need a reminder from their constituents.

as far as the issues, ending mandatory healthcare would be easier to fix than the unemployment situation- although i agree that unemployment has to be fixed if there is to be a true economic recovery.

high unemployment means less income and greater outflow, in the form of social services- a double whammy for the economy. i also don't see how anyone can fix the unemployment situation if they refuse to acknowledge the oversupply of labor issue and deal with that.
First, repealing the Affordability Act is neither easy nor warranted. It's not easy because in-spite of Boehner's demagoguery about repealing it, he know that he wasn't going to win enough seats to override a veto.

It's not warranted because the law does far more good than hard. The only thing that would have made it much better is if included a public option, which is very popular.

Second, there is no oversupply of labor, there is an under-supply of demand. That was being addressed by the stimulus in fiscal policy and lowing interest rates in monetary policy. The problem, like many economists warned, was too small to overcome the cuts in spending at the state level.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:24 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Auto pen, empty suit, whatever. If you can't even show up to do the very thing the office represents legislatively, hell just stay away altogether.

Another stupid thing Bush did.

I hate to imagine how bathroom events are handled.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
First, repealing the Affordability Act is neither easy nor warranted. It's not easy because in-spite of Boehner's demagoguery about repealing it, he know that he wasn't going to win enough seats to override a veto.

It's not warranted because the law does far more good than hard. The only thing that would have made it much better is if included a public option, which is very popular.

Second, there is no oversupply of labor, there is an under-supply of demand. That was being addressed by the stimulus in fiscal policy and lowing interest rates in monetary policy. The problem, like many economists warned, was too small to overcome the cuts in spending at the state level.
i disagree.

our economy did NOT have enough of a manufacturing base to absorb millions of illegal immigrants.

the stimulus fixed NOTHING. (as i posted in the business forum). we lost 1 million private sector jobs since the stimulus. the only jobs gained were in the public sector and, again, they have to be funded down the road by the private sector. that is called trying to kick the can until you leave office.

in the meantime, our debt load increased and our trade deficit increased.

the cuts in spending have to occur when the money isn't there. keep in mind that "printing money" (the new democratic solution) pushes funny money into the system, which will flow into commodities, raising the price of the basics that people need to survive-i.e., food and gas.

just look at what is coming down the pike with the post office:

Here, a by-the-numbers guide to the "dire financial straits" the U.S.P.S. faces, and the federal bailout it needs:

http://www.businessinsider.com/post-...bailout-2011-5

$7 billion
Amount the U.S. Postal Service is expected to lose this fiscal year, according to Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe, as cited by The Washington Post

$20 billion
Total losses by the Postal Service since 2007,

they can't make their pension payment this year of $5.5 billion.

nobody is dealing with the reality of our economy at all, and pretending there isn't a problem doesn't make the problem go away.

Last edited by floridasandy; 05-28-2011 at 06:15 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 06:05 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Slacker? The average person would be hard pressed to keep up with his daily schedule.

President's Schedule | The White House
Well that explains a lot, they don't even have anything planned past today.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i disagree.

our economy did NOT have enough of a manufacturing base to absorb millions of illegal immigrants.

the stimulus fixed NOTHING. (as i posted in the business forum). we lost 1 million private sector jobs since the stimulus. the only jobs gained were in the public sector and, again, they have to be funded down the road by the private sector. that is called trying to kick the can until you leave office.

in the meantime, our debt load increased and our trade deficit increased.

the cuts in spending have to occur when the money isn't there. keep in mind that "printing money" (the new democratic solution) pushes funny money into the system, which will flow into commodities, raising the price of the basics that people need to survive-i.e., food and gas.

just look at what is coming down the pike with the post office:

Here, a by-the-numbers guide to the "dire financial straits" the U.S.P.S. faces, and the federal bailout it needs:

THE NEXT BAILOUT? The Post Office Has Lost Nearly $20 Billion In Four Years

$7 billion
Amount the U.S. Postal Service is expected to lose this fiscal year, according to Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe, as cited by The Washington Post

$20 billion
Total losses by the Postal Service since 2007,

they can't make their pension payment this year of $5.5 billion.

nobody is dealing with the reality of our economy at all, and pretending there isn't a problem doesn't make the problem go away.
Your post is all over the place, so I'll only address a few points.

Illegal immigrants did not cause the recession nor is a significant contributor. The jobs they take are among the lowest paid and least desirable.

You claim that the stimulus did nothing but cite no data. One cannot have a feeling that it did nothing that can be accepted as credible. The fact is that the modest federal stimulus, which was about $526 billion, not including Obama's tax-cuts, or 3-3/4 of GDP, was small -- and too small to offset the massive cuts in state and local spending. Nevertheless, it was a mitigating factor resulting in a positive effect on GDP and jobs. That's the view of the CBO report on Wednesday, May 24, 2011:
Quote:
The CBO report out Wednesday said the plan increased the number of people employed by between 1.2 million and 3.3 million, and lowered the unemployment rate by between 0.6 and 1.8 percentage points in the first quarter of 2011.

The stimulus package also raised gross domestic product, the broadest measure of economic output, by between 1.1% and 3.1% in the same period. WSJ
As you are likely not to be aware, cutting government spending in a recession is among the worst policies to administer. That policy causes additional job losses, as demand is eroded.

Likewise, your strong dollar policy means that American goods are more expensive. The low dollar policy by the Fed is responsible for the manufacturing trade deficit coming down. U.S. firms like Caterpillar that once shifted production abroad but are now moving it back. At the same time, companies from other countries, especially European firms, are moving production to America.

I don’t want to suggest that everything is wonderful about U.S. manufacturing. So far, the job gains are modest. But what’s driving the turnaround in our manufacturing trade? The main answer is that the U.S. dollar has fallen against other currencies, helping give U.S.-based manufacturing a cost advantage. A weaker dollar, it turns out, was just what U.S. industry needed.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
Slacker? The average person would be hard pressed to keep up with his daily schedule.

President's Schedule | The White House
Well that explains a lot, they don't even have anything planned past today.
Ya, like they're going to advertise a minute by minute schedule for any president so the terrorists know where to find him/her.

Take a look at all he did this past week. 56 meetings in five days......... President's Schedule | The White House

Old 05-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ya, like they're going to advertise a minute by minute schedule for any president so the terrorists know where to find him/her.
Ya, because we all know that Obama is the first to published their schedule. No other president ever did that.

Why don't you make a comprehensive list of everything that was standard practice under other presidents that you're mad that Obama does.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Geez, relax Wayland, it's Saturday!

And it was a joke...

Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
and if dummy bush was in office you leftwingnutjobs would be saying how bush needs a machine to sign a bill he is to incompetent to sign

here is a question

since the POTUS's only real power is signing the bills into law that congeress passes...and now a machine can do it..then why do we even need a POTUS????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies