Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When shopping while 'black' do you feel...
like your being watched, and afraid to even tie your shoes.. 12 17.65%
Feel at ease...and those who worry about such things must be guilty.. 4 5.88%
Feel those who monitor the security systems should be better trained.. 3 4.41%
Just ignore it all..and accept that's how society is..black or white... 8 11.76%
I'm to slick, they could never catch me... 5 7.35%
Have never noticed such PA annoucements... 20 29.41%
It happens to me too, and I'm white... 11 16.18%
Other... 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:29 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times

Advertisements

I have been all over this country and not once have I heard any thing being paged over the speakers. My wife and I was followed around a store once before, so, I stopped they guy, and asked him for help finding something. I think many times people already have the mindset that something is going to happen, that they find any coincidence to be proof of what they are looking to happen

Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I totally understand what your saying...it's a thing of 'trust'...and trust is a privilege...

And I need a retirement fund...so I always refuse to show Walmart greeters my reciept on the way out...and hope and pray they grab or touch me...
Well, we all have our horror shopping stories. Mine was with White's Auto Stores. I went for some auto parts and was going to put them on my revolving charge account. The clerk told me I couldn't because I hadn't made this months payment yet. Quite embarrassing. I made the payment and put the shocks on the account. The more I thought about it the more I began to fume. The next month I did the same thing but I filled two shopping carts with various store merchandise before hitting the same counter (and clerk). Same scenario.....so I asked 'how much?' 'The usual $20 payment will be okay'. 'No, what's my balance?' '$258' So I paid the balance in full. As I walked away she said do you want to add this other merchandise?' 'No, close my account here'. And I walked out.

Another was Sears. I bought a new microwave oven for the wife - back when they were pretty expensive. It would not power up the next day. So I took it to customer service. I was at that counter 45 minutes before anyone acknowledged my presence. And I was told it had to go to the repair center where I could get a refurb unit or have it repaired. I told them no, I wanted a new one or credit to my account. I was not paying a new item price for a repaired or refurbished unit. After a long conversation turned confrontation regarding charged items being returned they finally agreed. I asked for a pair of scissors and I cut my card up in front of them in time to the statement 'THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE' in front of them and the customers behind me. Three customers applauded my actions. This was long before they had 'Take a number' slips and their 'famous' Sears guarantee. I've only been back once for a broken ratchet replacement.

I shop where I'm treated better. I'm not a flashy person, so the sales people need to take notice. Us dowdy old WM shoppers in sweats and T shirts may surprise you.

And no, I never stop at the door to be searched on the way out of ANY store. When I was blocked by a big guy once at Fry's Electronics I made him come with me to customer service and stay until I was refunded in full for a lousy 10 pak of floppy disks. I feel the same as you. We do not have to be frisked as we leave a store. Don't let anyone tell you you do.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Well, we all have our horror shopping stories. Mine was with White's Auto Stores. I went for some auto parts and was going to put them on my revolving charge account. The clerk told me I couldn't because I hadn't made this months payment yet. Quite embarrassing. I made the payment and put the shocks on the account. The more I thought about it the more I began to fume. The next month I did the same thing but I filled two shopping carts with various store merchandise before hitting the same counter (and clerk). Same scenario.....so I asked 'how much?' 'The usual $20 payment will be okay'. 'No, what's my balance?' '$258' So I paid the balance in full. As I walked away she said do you want to add this other merchandise?' 'No, close my account here'. And I walked out.

Another was Sears. I bought a new microwave oven for the wife - back when they were pretty expensive. It would not power up the next day. So I took it to customer service. I was at that counter 45 minutes before anyone acknowledged my presence. And I was told it had to go to the repair center where I could get a refurb unit or have it repaired. I told them no, I wanted a new one or credit to my account. I was not paying a new item price for a repaired or refurbished unit. After a long conversation turned confrontation regarding charged items being returned they finally agreed. I asked for a pair of scissors and I cut my card up in front of them in time to the statement 'THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE' in front of them and the customers behind me. Three customers applauded my actions. This was long before they had 'Take a number' slips and their 'famous' Sears guarantee. I've only been back once for a broken ratchet replacement.

I shop where I'm treated better. I'm not a flashy person, so the sales people need to take notice. Us dowdy old WM shoppers in sweats and T shirts may surprise you.

And no, I never stop at the door to be searched on the way out of ANY store. When I was blocked by a big guy once at Fry's Electronics I made him come with me to customer service and stay until I was refunded in full for a lousy 10 pak of floppy disks. I feel the same as you. We do not have to be frisked as we leave a store. Don't let anyone tell you you do.
The shopping experience in general and the lack of capable employees has turned many black and white Americans off in general.

I try and stay away from stores as much as possible because 1. I hate shoppig and 2. I don't like dealing with stupid people.

Amazon and online retailers have everything I need.

Could be also because I am a guy. Just hate shopping though.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
That is the stereotype some Blacks have made Black people...sadly. When its in the media about someone stealing, using their kid to steal something, or flash mobbing a store and stealing all they can, Managers have no choice.
PA announcements would be the most respectable way.

As a General Manager of a retail store, I admit I'm guilty of keeping a eye on or telling my employees to keep a eye on certain customers..Its not just Blacks or Whites.

In my opinion people should be happy thatstores are not using "airport like security."

Last edited by Jermaine88; 05-30-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 AM

313 posts, read 284,725 times
More than likely the store has had a higher incident of theft from Blacks. Black people are responsible for the stereotypes about them because more often than not they are true. We see violent crime after violent crime and Blacks killing each other over absolutely nothing and it's the fault of the White man for having certain preconceived notions about Black people which they themselves create?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
yes I do, I don't deny that blacks and minorities may be more likely to be followed around a store, but I've never been in a store that announces anything like what you posted. Don't think even the malls have it. I live in a pretty diverse metropolitan area though.
I live in the same diverse metropolitan area you do and have noticed stores that do have those announcements just like what the OP posted. Try some of the grocery stores. Then try shopping with a black person and see what happens.

When I would go to the store with my black family in NC, we almost always got followed by someone working there or the security guard. A few times my wife was asked for ID for no reason whatsoever and she even got accused of stealing for no real reason once. Admittedly, DC/MD isn't that bad, but when I go with black family here, we still get employees keeping an eye on us.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
More than likely the store has had a higher incident of theft from Blacks. Black people are responsible for the stereotypes about them because more often than not they are true. We see violent crime after violent crime and Blacks killing each other over absolutely nothing and it's the fault of the White man for having certain preconceived notions about Black people which they themselves create?
Cause whites never steal or commit crime.

Every person is responsible for the stereotypes they propagate. However it's only with some races where one individual is treated according to a series of generalizations about their whole entire race.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:52 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
That's why I love living in a civilized part of the country. We don't care who the f- you are, black, white, asian, etc., it's all good.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
I grew up in a all white area of Eastern WA state...and the stores there, where the towns were 98% white or higher, still had the same inncidents of shopplifters...

Heck, I knew some of them growing up in highschool...

Your post is totally none scientific, and totally bias ladened...

common sense 101...

If security personel are only watching, following, spying on, the 'black' shoppers...then how would they know what the other shoppers are doing or stealing?

They could be robbing the store blind...even taking money out the cash register, as we caught a women doing once...and no, she wasn't 'black'...

There's no proof that 'blacks' or any one of color, shoplifts more or less than anyone else...they simply get watched more...

Like when cops on the interstate will allow 500 cars to drive by, then decide to search the one car with minorities in it...

We will never know what the other 500 cars had in the trunks, cause they were never stopped and searched...

There's so many 'white' based criminal enterprises out there that their to numerious to count, and most operate in anonymity...from credit card thefts, identity theft, bank fraud, pyrimad schemes...

Heck, just look at all the scam adds on Craigslist...internet hackers, city administrators paying themselves way and above what they should be making...(that recent case in Cali)...

Believe me, if you ever follow FBI cases, it would show how false your opinion is about 'blacks steal more'....

Heck, they even made a movie about a famous Check fraud thief, who was white...'Catch me if you can' (exellent movie by the way)...

Diamond thieves, the list goes on...

But again, this thread isn't about 'who commits more crimes', rather it's about who gets watched more..

Because the people on here who get watched, if you read their posts, aren't commiting any crimes...

And I made it clear that I have no sympothy for those who do steal...
So I don't understand why you would drop such an 'ugly' comment, on a thread where the people posting are innocently being harraced...

I'm glad you got something out of that, cause I sure didn't...but it did give me a chance to share some other things with the readers...

Old 05-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I think it was this part

combined with the fact that the ethnic people they were told to watch weren't the ones who were stealing. Just like in any other security situation, behavioral profiling works much better than ethnic profiling.

I personally was followed around a store, dragged up to the security office (without anyone telling my blind husband, who was checking out), searched, threatened, and then banned from the store, even though I hadn't stolen a thing. I was allowed back into the store because my husband told them a) I hadn't stolen anything & the security arsehole knew it, and b) he needed assistance to shop, so they could either let me in, or assign someone to walk around the store with him to read labels and prices and to find things. They let me in. The security manager would stand conspicuously in the areas we'd shop, and I always gave him a big cheesy grin as I went by, and said "hi!" - for some reason, he kept calling me a smartass.
I wonder if there is something about blindness that makes it worse cause I can tell you, when I was blind and with my wife (who's mixed but looks black), that is when we got the most crap of all time. I have no idea what it is but they used to tailgate us around the store, no joke.

Maybe they think the blind thing is a set-up for stealing?

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 05-30-2011 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies