Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When shopping while 'black' do you feel...
like your being watched, and afraid to even tie your shoes.. 12 17.65%
Feel at ease...and those who worry about such things must be guilty.. 4 5.88%
Feel those who monitor the security systems should be better trained.. 3 4.41%
Just ignore it all..and accept that's how society is..black or white... 8 11.76%
I'm to slick, they could never catch me... 5 7.35%
Have never noticed such PA annoucements... 20 29.41%
It happens to me too, and I'm white... 11 16.18%
Other... 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The fact that it's noteworthy that a black man can make it to the top position in the country shows that it is still harder to get to the top as a black person than it is as a white person.

And I totally agree with you. That's exactly the form white on black racism today takes. Part of that is also the BS treatment a lot of black shoppers get. And because it's not the firehose/lynching kind, it's a lot harder to pinpoint and prove, and a lot easier for racist people to blow it off as something else.
Exactly. I'll be blunt. That's that sneaky kind of racism. In this day, the firehose/lynching type of racism can put a person behind bars. Why risk that?

Covert racism is the scariest kind.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Exactly. I'll be blunt. That's that sneaky kind of racism. In this day, the firehose/lynching type of racism can put a person behind bars. Why risk that?

Covert racism is the scariest kind.
Precisely. People know that if they say "we can't hire you cause you're black" or "we're afraid you'll steal because you're black" you have a basis for a lawsuit. But they know if they give some vague response like "our position has been filled", there is no legal action you can take. A clerk in a store can claim to be "just doing their job" or a store can claim to be putting on their announcements "at random". People nowadays know how to walk the walk and talk the talk so they can be racist without being nailed for it, legally or otherwise.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Precisely. People know that if they say "we can't hire you cause you're black" or "we're afraid you'll steal because you're black" you have a basis for a lawsuit. But they know if they give some vague response like "our position has been filled", there is no legal action you can take. A clerk in a store can claim to be "just doing their job" or a store can claim to be putting on their announcements "at random". People nowadays know how to walk the walk and talk the talk so they can be racist without being nailed for it, legally or otherwise.
I was going to respond with a similar comment regarding a post downthread concerning store clerks. Someone commented and questioned why a store clerk would risk their job and go out of the way to ostracize black patrons. Store clerks can claim that they are following a directive to pursue suspicious activity.

Come on, now. THINK.

But again, unless one has walked in the shoes of another......

Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
First off, I didn't quote you as saying that it negates the existence of racism. I asked a QUESTION.

So what was the point of your comment: "We have a black president for crying out loud" I have no idea what your point is about the 1950's, 1960's or 1840. Racism is racism. I don't care if it was the 50's, 60's or 1840. It existed then, and it exists now. I don't care to what degree it exists. It exists.

A black man reaching the pinnacle of world power has nothing to do with day-to-day experiences of civilians. Let me ask AGAIN. Does this negate the existence of racism? When I said WE have a long way to go, I literally meant WE, as a society. Let me reiterate...when white kids spew out the "N" word when my son is walking down the street with his friends, that is a problem. It appeared that you edited your post and removed the part where you made reference to lying to prove a point. I'm not sure if you were referring to the experiences that I illlustrated, but if so, you are in pure denial. This all goes back to my comment about empathy. You can't empathize, so you continue to downplay. Point blank.
If you have no idea what my point is about now versus the 50s and periods before, then you may not be the best person to comment on this.

A black man reaching the pinnacle of power has EVERYTHING to with the day to day experiences of civilians- which I believe the President is as well. If you honestly think a black man in the White House is not particularly noteworthy and things have not changed, then you have not been paying attention.

As for the N word, it is blacks who spew the N word like it is going out of style. In song and in everyday conversation. It is blacks who mow each other down with guns, not whites shooting blacks. Its is blacks disdaining education and dropping out in droves. It is blacks who have an apallingly high level of out of wedlock births. It sure as hell ain't whites making them have sex without contraception. The prisons are not characterized by a Mafia or Westie culture, but by one that is dominated by Crips, Bloods, and other black gangs.

White racism? Sure. But nothing compared to the ferocious level of self-destruction blacks visit on each other. Black inner-city culture is characterized by a total disregard for education, structure, and personal responsibility. That, coupled with denial, is your worst enemy.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Spending most of my life in very African-American Washington, DC, I have an excellent frame of reference. You are not talking to some farmboy from South Dakota here. The implication, so favored by Calipoppy, of "you are white so you would not know" is not going to work on me.

It does not matter if you grew up/lived in a "very African American" area such as DC. All that means it that you may have been more exposed to the culture but you don't know and you will never know what it is really like to walk through the world as a Black person because the world will always treat you as a White person.

I grew up in Los Angeles; Los Angeles has a very high population of Hipanics but I would never state that I know what it is like to be them. That is ridiculous and insulting to their life experience. I would never say that I know what it is like to be rejected/discrimanted against because I couldn't speak English because that it not my personal experience, it's theirs. But I would never tell a non-English speaking Hispanic person that they have not experienced prejudice because they didn't speak English. Who am I to tell them what they do or do not go through in their lives.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
As for the N word, it is blacks who spew the N word like it is going out of style. In song and in everyday conversation. It is blacks who mow each other down with guns, not whites shooting blacks. Its is blacks disdaining education and dropping out in droves. It is blacks who have an apallingly high level of out of wedlock births. It sure as hell ain't whites making them have sex without contraception. The prisons are not characterized by a Mafia or Westie culture, but by one that is dominated by Crips, Bloods, and other black gangs.

White racism? Sure. But nothing compared to the ferocious level of self-destruction blacks visit on each other. Black inner-city culture is characterized by a total disregard for education, structure, and personal responsibility. That, coupled with denial, is your worst enemy.
Lol cause whites don't do this at all, ever.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
If you have no idea what my point is about now versus the 50s and periods before, then you may not be the best person to comment on this.

A black man reaching the pinnacle of power has EVERYTHING to with the day to day experiences of civilians- which I believe the President is as well. If you honestly think a black man in the White House is not particularly noteworthy and things have not changed, then you have not been paying attention.

Clearly, I'm not the only one who found your point to be nonsequitur.

And no, I do not think that a black man in the Whitehouse is NOT particularly noteworthy. Your assumptions are incredulous. I merely stated that society continues on...with its racism and all. So I guess the president is going to swoop over every city and eradicate every incident of racism he witnesses? My son can still potentially be called the "N" word. Black people will still be followed in stores. Racism will continue. That's my point. It's not that difficult to grasp.

I don't live in the inner city and never have, so that doesn't apply to me. So in MY situation, covert racism IS my worst enemy. My son attends one of the top rated school districts in our area. I am heavily involved with his education. We come from an educated family. He is taught to be resonsible and accountable for his actions EVERY single day. Please stop typecasting and making blanket statements about "blacks."

"Its is blacks disdaining education and dropping out in droves."

Really? You stated that as a fact. So no "whites" disdain education or drop out of school? Please refer back to my second paragraph.

Blanket statement after blanket statement from you.

True colors have CLEARLY been shown. I rest my case.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Lol cause whites don't do this at all, ever.
Let me help you out...

: smack:

Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:

This post (better yet, anti-Black rant) has earned you a well-deserved place on the ignore list.

Note: I did not find it necessary to go off on a tangent about the prevalance of sex offenders and child molesters who are White. Or include a blurb about the number of White teachers (male and female) who are always arrested for having sex with their underage students. Yet your kind always feels the need to bring in issues that are completely off-topic as a justification for the bigotry. So if I repeatedly stated that I do not like White people because the majority of sex offenders and serial killers are White, the White posters on C-D would howl to holy hell about how "irrelevant" those facts are but have no problem trotting out anti-Black stereotypes as if they are biblical truths.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It does not matter if you grew up/lived in a "very African American" area such as DC. All that means it that you may have been more exposed to the culture but you don't know and you will never know what it is really like to walk through the world as a Black person because the world will always treat you as a White person.

I grew up in Los Angeles; Los Angeles has a very high population of Hipanics but I would never state that I know what it is like to be them. That is ridiculous and insulting to their life experience. I would never say that I know what it is like to be rejected/discrimanted against because I couldn't speak English because that it not my personal experience, it's theirs. But I would never tell a non-English speaking Hispanic person that they have not experienced prejudice because they didn't speak English. Who am I to tell them what they do or do not go through in their lives.
Just be blunt.

MOTH: Yes, you are white, so you DO NOT know...contrary to what you claim.

That's equivalent to a white person saying, "some of my best friends are black...hardy har har...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies