Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:26 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
That's the point. The suburbs exist in part due to government spending, esp. on infrastructure and oil subsidies. Republicans deride government spending and then drive on government funded roads and drive massive vehicles that use oil from companies that receive subsidies and then send their children to public schools. It's absurd.
Democrats deride capitalism and tell anyone that will listen how evil corporations are. Then they got to Wal Mart and stores like that and buy things. It's absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:05 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If it wasn't for government intervention, the burbs wouldn't exist, at least not to the extent they do today. Do you really think a private corporation would spend millions of dollars in road nfrastructure for a few thousand customers?
Les Wexner, a private bsuinessman in Columbus Ohio, spent tens of millions expanding and upgrading government owned roads because he put in a new shopping center.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
The truth about Rick Perry's "Texas miracle" - Rick Perry - Salon.com

Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Every single day I hear republicans preaching about the greatness of "Smaller government" and "Less government spending".

When I drive through the republican area (suburbs) of any city, I notice that republicans tend to live in the areas with the highest government spending:
Extra wide roads, extra bright street lighting, extra wide sidewalks, etc, etc.

Then I drive through the areas where the government spends little money (ghetto) and I bet you would never see a republican in that area:
narrow roads with potholes and sitting water, no sidewalk, almost no lighting, etc, etc.

If republicans love "small government" and "low government spending"
why don't they live in the areas where you find that?
For the most part, federal government isn't paying for streets, sidewalks, lighting, etc. That is paid for primarily through local property taxation. Most republicans that I know don't have a problem with local government but want limited federal interference.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
So in other words in your "republican areas" the local governments spend money only on the things they're supposed to be funding like infrastructure and education, whereas your Democrat municipalities are so busy spending money on welfare, crony contracts, and labor unions, that they have no money for the essentials. Basically, per your own admission municipalities run by Republicans are fairly fiscally responsible whereas those run by Democrats are in dire straights.
The OP did not mention welfare, crony contracts, and labor unions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
For the most part, federal government isn't paying for streets, sidewalks, lighting, etc. That is paid for primarily through local property taxation. Most republicans that I know don't have a problem with local government but want limited federal interference.
Mental gymnastics, perfect 10! Government is government.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Mental gymnastics, perfect 10! Government is government.
Then refute what I said. Who pays for local streets, sidewalks, and streetlighting? Government spending is not government spending when you consider that local communities have a lot more say and control in how their tax dollars are allocated at the local level than at the federal level. Local government is not anywhere equivalent to federal intrusion.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Then refute what I said. Who pays for local streets, sidewalks, and streetlighting? Government spending is not government spending when you consider that local communities have a lot more say and control in how their tax dollars are allocated at the local level than at the federal level. Local government is not anywhere equivalent to federal intrusion.
Shades of Geroge Orwell.

Doublespeak Then and Now

Local governments often get grants from their state and the feds to help pay for these amenities as well.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Every single day I hear republicans preaching about the greatness of "Smaller government" and "Less government spending".

When I drive through the republican area (suburbs) of any city, I notice that republicans tend to live in the areas with the highest government spending:
Extra wide roads, extra bright street lighting, extra wide sidewalks, etc, etc.

Then I drive through the areas where the government spends little money (ghetto) and I bet you would never see a republican in that area:
narrow roads with potholes and sitting water, no sidewalk, almost no lighting, etc, etc.

If republicans love "small government" and "low government spending"
why don't they live in the areas where you find that?
Numerous flaws
1) just because the blighted areas are ghettos, it doesnt mean there is less spending going on, its just spent differently. Rather than spending for things like lights, they are spending on housing, welfare.
2) Things like street lighting, sidewalks, are LOCAL expenditures, and if conservatives choose to pay for these things, and they choose to request them, then whats your complaint?
3) Sidewalks in most of the country is funded by the property owner.

Your own posting points out the flaws in liberalism which is funny considering you were trying to bash conservatism.. haha

Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Many Republicans are against and want to cut funding for public education.

Fail. Give another example.
Your response is the failure.. many Republicans are against FEDERAL funding for public education, not local

Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Shades of Geroge Orwell.

Doublespeak Then and Now

Local governments often get grants from their state and the feds to help pay for these amenities as well.
They may get state or federal grants for resurfacing of major thoroughfares (based on the designation of the street if it's designated as a major thoroughfare) or large projects, but the rest is almost always funded solely by local property taxation, as it should be. If I am benefiting from improved street lighting and beautification projects in my town, why should someone several states away have to pay for it?

Do you really not understand the difference between local and federal government and why republicans prefer local control vs. federal intrusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies