Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
I can't bring myself to understand why would anyone still go to Church...today. I was born and raised in religion (lots of religion) and I could see through the BS by age 10. Freeing yourself of religious belief, any religous beliefs, is the best thing one can do.
I go to worship God and to receive communion. Important things like that. I know I can worship God anyplace but really who makes the effort when you have so much to do each day? Going to church helps me concentrate on what is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
Put fear into your flock,
a heavier collection basket,
buys a better frock.

Philip Maise

Old 08-11-2011, 02:11 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Think what you want, it is irrelevant. My relationship with the Church and clergy is absolutely appropriate in my view which is the only view that matters as far as I'm concerned.
If all others are irrelevant, why are you in this forum? Worshiping yourself doesn't require validation from the rest of us, does it? Worshiping yourself requires knocking all others down?

Quote:
I don't have any personal problems
That's the same thing crazy folks say. You've put yourself in the business justifying your own anti social behavior with all the discernment of a drive by shooting.

Quote:
but I do have a problem with religious and other conservative people, yes.
Clearly you do. Many do, including the religious, and including myself. Problem is you've only managed to contribute to the problem when you ape their horrible behavior. Worse yet you don't care to know there is any difference between Jerry Falwell and the Amish. Most if not all of the people you'd have a grievance with are not practicing Christianity in it's full meaning. They're using religion as a pretense to abuse people just as atheists use their anti religion stance as a pretense to abuse in inane sibling rivalries. You're cut from the exact same cloth blaming all others who want nothing to do with nonsense for the very crimes you're engaged in committing.

Quote:
Europe is moving further and further away from Christianity and the other crap forced upon her centuries ago. There has been great progress on the road to atheism over the past couple of decades even in the Catholic region I come from, and in all of Europe actually After a long struggle we are finally recuperating from the Middle Eastern monotheistic virus.
I wouldn't call the kids looting in London practicing Christians. I'd call them very lost and disturbed kids void of reverence for life. These things happen when you worship yourself.

London Riots - Scum steal from injured boy. - YouTube

So where's the herd of English atheists bringing on the love, compassion, and reason in England? ::crickets::

Quote:
The revision of history has been going on on the part of the Churches and governments collaborating with it for centuries. I am just rerevising it
In other words, excusing yourself from any commitment to truth or morality, add more lies to the pile of lies to make it even more difficult for sincere people to uncover the truth. I hope atheists are willing to soul search over your posts. Not that they should be converted, but to witness first hand how much license atheism prints itself creating yet another brand of megalomania mucking up reasonable considerations of merit.

I'm reminded of Sam Harris making a statement to the effect "Religious people are making us appear unwise." I couldn't help but laugh my cookies off and wished I could say this to his face. No, Sam, we have no such magical ability. You appear unwise because you in fact ARE unwise, and it is your hubris propped up by academia worshiping itself the world is seeing. I'm looking at a choice between academia Emperor with no clothes or Dubbya Emperor with no clothes, and I'm saying hell no to both.

Quote:
Sorry, I am an orca, I kill any fish...
Beyond all consideration of religion, philosophies that endorse cannibalism are patently incompatible with civilization. Like it or not, religion and it's legitimate/ pragmatic function of moral temperance, did build civilization.

Quote:
By the way, morals and ethics develop automatically, that started way before humans.
You were there and know? Isn't that the same schtick the Biblical literalists are using? Why, YES IT IS!
If you get around to dropping your utter contempt for any and all religion, for males, and for your own habits of dishonesty, you might find the happenings in the emergent church interesting.

Quote:
Being an atheist I am accountable to society and myself. No matter how often certain people claim the opposite, humans don't need gods and religions to behave decently. Conversely, many humans are religious and behave like monsters.
What you say (self admitted) disingenuous orca preying on humanity?

Quote:
People who live on society's expense like parasites and do nothing but go round and lecture everyone on morals and ethics need to be flawless themselves in this respect. Else they are a joke, which indeed they are.
You have built what? You contribute what? It's hilarious listening to parasites claim all others are parasites. Generate your own electricity, be an army of one, grow your own food, do your own brain surgery, birth yourself, build your own roads, invent your own transportation, author your own library... go on. You've got lots of work to do all by your lonesome self worshiping self. The Kings of nothingness club, but noooo, we're not patrician!
An amusing chapter in American history... Emperor Norton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good thing Americans are in the habit of merciful behavior.

Quote:
I don't like long posts...
Why post as many as you have?

Quote:
Plus, dialog with some people is more or less a waste of time in my view. When people are of strongly opposing opinions, there is no point in discussing every sentence in detail. Neither one will change their views, and that's OK, they can just more or less avoid each other...
There is no dialog you are engaged. There is yourself making outrageous accusations pointed at huge swaths of the population that have no bearing on reality and no commitment to intellectual honesty. Genuine criticism, the honest critic, is quite welcome by myself and the reason I gave you any legitimate consideration in the first place. That's constructive. But you abused my ear making mockery of your own positions resorting to bizarre manipulations & egregious lies.

What you've evidenced to me is that you have no clue who you're actually angry with, or what you're angry about, led around unmercifully by Madison avenue sales tactics who stole your language and your brain right along with it. Intellectualized buckshot tactics inflicting yourself on others become justified in your mind. You've made yourself unworthy of the very rights you're claiming are your own. You've rendered yourself the monster you claim to be against. The very same nutter anti communists so irrationally fearful of it they trampled liberty, ran headlong into it and embodied it.

You aren't a victim, you're a perpetrator. The replies to your posts stopped not because you were correct, but because your ill motives became apparent to most. If politics is nothing more than a stock market floor fracas of special interests vying for supremacy at the expense of truth to you, that will be the reason why your civilization will ultimately fail to thrive. That truth applies to Portugal as universally as it does to USA.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:15 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,912 times
churches are not overwhelmingly conservative...go some time and see for yourself.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Catholics have traditionally voted Democrat more than Republican.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:42 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Because they also try to provide simplistic solutions to complex real world problems?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:56 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
churches are not overwhelmingly conservative...go some time and see for yourself.
I know. The church I attend has a good mix of political views: some people are conservative, some moderate, some liberal. Of course, my church isn't exactly big on "religion" -- we just strive to follow Christ and worship God without all the manmade tradition, rituals or baggage. I was raised in a Southern Baptist church, and it was definitely overwhelmingly conservative. It just depends on which church you go to, where you live, etc.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Jesus was not a political figure. He sought no political office, did not jockey for "status" in the Jewish religious/political structure nor did he try to mobilize an army to drive out the occupying Romans. He was educated in the Jewish schools and synagogues and spoke harshly about the hypocrisy of the ruling Jewish power structure. He sought to enlighten people about the true nature of God, not rule over them. No modern day political label will fit.
We can agree that he certainly wasn't a shill for big business and moneyed special interests though, right?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
We can agree that he certainly wasn't a shill for big business and moneyed special interests though, right?
Yes. That goes along with my assertion that Jesus was not "a political figure" in any sense of the word. Not saying, tho', that the political wheels of the day did not consider him to be a threat to their power. Politics and religion were inextricably mixed in those days.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:07 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Jesus was not a political figure. He sought no political office, did not jockey for "status" in the Jewish religious/political structure nor did he try to mobilize an army to drive out the occupying Romans. He was educated in the Jewish schools and synagogues and spoke harshly about the hypocrisy of the ruling Jewish power structure. He sought to enlighten people about the true nature of God, not rule over them. No modern day political label will fit.
More simply, Jesus' message through the likes of a Brian Haw, who died recently of lung cancer, protesting against
war and militarism. A message of peace that withstands
the testament of time, whether you believe in a God, a Jesus or any religion at all.

BRIAN HAW: ESTABLISHMENT MEDIA SUDDENLY MAKING HIM A HERO BUT ONLY IN DEATH(SOMETHING HE NEVER WAS) - YouTube

Brian Haw : January 7th 1949 - June 18th 2011 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies