Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:12 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
A poster stated his occupation, it gave his opinions no more validity because they community he posted in has the same mindset. What would be his reason for impersonation? There may or may not be one.

However I believe it to be very unethical to post the information that he did. It may be public record, but you still must distance yourself beyind any semblance of abuse of authority.
The reason for his impersonation could easily be an attempt at making himself look more important or accomplished. It would certainly do more to impress his fellow posters than admitting he worked in a convenience store.

The fact that he posted what he did further calls into question the legitimacy of his claim of being a police officer. Legal under FOIA or not posting such information would likely land him/her in serious hot water with their superiors. The simple act of posting on a racist forum calls his professionalism and impartiality into question. It jeopardizes past convictions and future prosecutions by making his motivations and actions suspect. Very few modern departments would tolerate it.

Personally I'd suggest affording the source (stormfront) all the credibility it's due and believing little if anything expressed by posters there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:18 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The reason for his impersonation could easily be an attempt at making himself look more important or accomplished. It would certainly do more to impress his fellow posters than admitting he worked in a convenience store.

The fact that he posted what he did further calls into question the legitimacy of his claim of being a police officer. Legal under FOIA or not posting such information would likely land him/her in serious hot water with their superiors. The simple act of posting on a racist forum calls his professionalism and impartiality into question. It jeopardizes past convictions and future prosecutions by making his motivations and actions suspect. Very few modern departments would tolerate it.

Personally I'd suggest affording the source (stormfront) all the credibility it's due and believing little if anything expressed by posters there.
Simply because police officers know they should not do something, doesn't mean they don't do it.

"..Judge Lance Ito initially ruled that there had to be some evidence that Fuhrman planted the glove before the defense could question Fuhrman on prior use of racial slurs, but eventually, Judge Ito changed his prior ruling and allowed the defense to cross-examine Fuhrman on the issue of his alleged racial animosity.

During cross-examination, Fuhrman, when asked by defense attorney F. Lee Bailey whether he had used the word "ni66er", said he hadn't used the word in 10 years. The defense produced four witnesses to establish that Fuhrman had used the word "ni66er" more recently; as well as an audiotape contradicting his testimony. This testimony eventually resulted in a perjury conviction. In one 1985 recording, Fuhrman gave a taped interview to Laura Hart McKinny, a writer working on a screenplay about female police officers. In another interview, Fuhrman talked about gang members and was quoted as saying, "Yeah we work with ni66ers and gangs. You can take one of these ni66ers, drag 'em into the alley and beat the ***** out of them and kick them. You can see them twitch. It really relieves your tension." He went on to say "we had them begging that they'd never be gang members again, begging us." He said that he would tell them, "You do what you're told, understand, ni66er

Quote:
believing little if anything expressed by posters there
I don't believe that to be a wise course of action.

While many people, including myself ; at times dismiss these folk as loons, there are many who bring this mentality and behavior into the work place, public sphere, and are actively seeking people who will take on this type of mentality.

Stormfront may be good for laughs, but the heart of their vitriol is far from funny.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:25 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I don't believe that to be a wise course of action.

While many people, including myself ; at times dismiss these folk as loons, there are many who bring this mentality and behavior into the work place, public sphere, and are actively seeking people who will take on this type of mentality.

Stormfront may be good for laughs, but the heart of their vitriol is far from funny.
I didn't suggest disregarding them as a threat. Extremists of all stripes are potentially dangerous.

I suggested assigning little in the way of credibility to their claims.

As an aside the majority of the morons that post there are not the people you need to worry about. It's a well known and heavily watched hate site. The posters there talk, brag, and do little else. The truly dangerous individuals of that mindset don't go anywhere near that forum.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:22 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
I don't see how a person, whether it's a cop or not can subvert their principles and beliefs for 8 hours on a daily basis.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes.

Because he (she) still has to uphold the law.

Any action they have which may be biased has to be checked by the prevailing laws.

An officer may want to use his bias to arrest more of x vs. y.. .but they still have to follow the rule of the law, or RISK being reprimanded for bias.
Remember Mark Furman perchance?

I could go write a tome on how upholding the law isn't as objectively easy as you would attempt to make out so I won't burden you with a long tortuous refutation of your argument other than to say, that a police officer with known racial biases will always be a liability to a criminal prosecution wherein their testimony is an important part of the case. As a result, an officer with know biases can not effectively be employed by any police department.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:49 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
No of course not. He will waste valuable time and resources in prosecuting those that are not his race. He will also give preference to those that are his race. We believe, to a certain extent, equality of law in this nation (I've gotten out of 4 traffic tickets before however). Yet, racist cops will undoubtedly be too biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies