Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:57 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you are fine with guilty until proven innocent..even for minors ?
Sad world we live in these days.

Again..do you send your kids to school in white tshirts ?
If you read my earlier post, you will see that I disagree with the school's action in this case. However, it is already well-known that children do not have the same rights in school that adults do. Children in school are subject to the school's parental judgment. Parents, and, therefore, schools (who are acting as parents), are not required to uphold all civil liberties that are accorded to adults in our country.

Is it fair? No, but as I heard many times growing up, "Life isn't fair".

I have been unable to have my own children, so no. I don't send my cats to school in white tees. They hate that crap, and prefer to go au naturel, with perhaps a little bling (collars). If I had been lucky enough to have children, I would keep myself up on current events at the school, and would likely know that white tees and bandannas might be frowned upon. Besides, who wears that getup for school pictures, anyway??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,058 times
[quote=pommysmommy;19373592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post

Does that mean he wasn't in on "the joke"? Those kids thought it was a funny prank.
No. Actually, he wasn't in on what you call "the joke."

Apparently, the Asian student coincidentally wore white that day (perhaps because he thought the color white looked good against his dark skin ) The article states (if you care to read it) that the school photographer moved this student so he happened to be standing next to the other students who were wearing white (apparently for the "wrong" reason )

But, since this suspension appears to be made on the basis of what the kids were "thinking," I guess its the Principal's discretion to assign motives and he must have decided that this Asian boy was not properly "motivated" to wear his white shirt and thus, should be suspended. (This boy, btw, is 18 and will be filing his own charges against the school, per the article.)

Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Sounds like there has been some issues at this school and the Principal, who may have a better feel for what's happening than we do, stepped in before something worse happened. I'm not going to say if he was right or wrong but it wasn't just the shirts, they mentioned bandannas too which are often banned because of their gang affiliations. I guess we will just have to see how this plays out. If there was something amiss I'm sure someone can/will sue for something.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sounds like there has been some issues at this school and the Principal, who may have a better feel for what's happening than we do, stepped in before something worse happened. I'm not going to say if he was right or wrong but it wasn't just the shirts, they mentioned bandannas too which are often banned because of their gang affiliations. I guess we will just have to see how this plays out. If there was something amiss I'm sure someone can/will sue for something.
I hope the Asian boy does. That would be an obvious open and shut case against the principal.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
I hope the Asian boy does. That would be an obvious open and shut case against the principal.
Nothing is obvious when you hear about it second hand.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. They're outraged by the white t-shirts issue, but how many of them were complaining when Florida made it illegal for students to wear baggy jeans?
That's funny because last year I was Florida for the past 2 years and guys were wearing baggy and sagging pants all the time while I was in school. Hell, I was one of them. I wasn't a sagger though.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nothing is obvious when you hear about it second hand.
Typically Asians are hated by white supremacists..heck they hate anyone who isn't white.
The student's name is Davie Mine, he's 18 and has a lawyer now.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,058 times
Quote:
Typically Asians are hated by white supremacists..heck they hate anyone who isn't white.
Yep. And this poor kid, apparently has a family history of relatives being in internment camps and has, himself, been subjected to racial slurs and intolerance, according to the story in the Sentinal.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,355 times
I hope Fruit of the Loom also sues this schools pants off.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 385 times
Here is a link to an interview with David Mine and his lawyer..The Asian kid..
[url=http://capitola.patch.com/articles/video-suspended-soquel-student-speaks]VIDEO: Suspended Soquel Student Speaks - Capitola-Soquel, CA Patch[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies