Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:06 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times

Advertisements

Recently I visited a Zoo, not that this is something I would normally even consider, but the Wife wanted to take our Toddler to see the animals.

What a miserable place to go to, you would have to have no compassion at all to enjoy a visit.

In one cage there was a solitary Leopard, just pacing, pacing, pacing, it had obviously been driven mad by being stuck in a cage of no more than 30 feet by 60 feet.

The Lions had an area no larger than my back garden, even my pet cat has an area bigger than that, but he is free.

The Elephant enclosure was small and bland, these animals are supposed to be free to wander across whole continents.

The highlight of the visit was when a Vulture landed on a baby in a pushchair, it didn’t come to any harm, but it just proved that the bird show part of the Zoo experience was not too well controlled.

I could go on with my list of saddening sights that I saw that day, but it would fill pages.

I wouldn’t treat a pet that way, and don’t believe it should be allowed.

How do you feel about the ill-treatment of animals in Zoos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM

760 posts, read 685,352 times
Fort Worth Zoo and the Dallas Zoo seem to have great areas for their animals. My boy and I enjoyed it.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
What zoo was it?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM

315 posts, read 366,572 times
My local zoo has been making some incredible improvements over the last decade. They're building a massive new exhibit for their sea lions and seals (all of which I think were rescued for various reasons) and I know they'll love it. They strive to have excellent, comfortable exhibits for the animals and have been giving up the animals they lack proper facilities for, or letting them stay and pass peacefully without replacing them.

Some zoos are good, some are awful, most have the best intentions and are limited by what they can manage to build. If you're concerned, talk to someone and see what you can do to help. Make a donation, volunteer your time, find a way to get them the funding the make the improvements I'm sure they want to make.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
zoo animals are generally well fed, and well cared for. more and more zoos are going to large enclosures that are more natural style habitats. check out the san diego zoo, the southern arizona sonoran desert museum, among others.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
not a fan of zoos. its essentially slavery for the most part.

the animals there for the most part have little will to live.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
I have mixed feelings about zoos in general. Some exhibits are better than others with regards to space and "natural" habitats, but some are downright horrific. The hippo and rhino exhibits at Brookfield Zoo outside of Chicago comes to mind if anyone has seen it. However, I do think zoos play an important role in educating the populace about the plight of animals all over the world as well as instill an appreciation for all living things.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
Fort Worth Zoo and the Dallas Zoo seem to have great areas for their animals. My boy and I enjoyed it.

I visited the Ft. Worth zoo last year, fantastic place.
Audubon Zoo in New Orleans is another great zoo.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,481 times
For endangered species it's the last chance for existence as their natural habitats are often no longer there.

With poaching, civilization and an ever shrinking eco system they would be extinct by now. But I do believe that many zoos can be improved.

Last edited by antarez; 05-30-2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Recently I visited a Zoo, not that this is something I would normally even consider, but the Wife wanted to take our Toddler to see the animals.

What a miserable place to go to, you would have to have no compassion at all to enjoy a visit.

In one cage there was a solitary Leopard, just pacing, pacing, pacing, it had obviously been driven mad by being stuck in a cage of no more than 30 feet by 60 feet.

The Lions had an area no larger than my back garden, even my pet cat has an area bigger than that, but he is free.

The Elephant enclosure was small and bland, these animals are supposed to be free to wander across whole continents.

The highlight of the visit was when a Vulture landed on a baby in a pushchair, it didn’t come to any harm, but it just proved that the bird show part of the Zoo experience was not too well controlled.

I could go on with my list of saddening sights that I saw that day, but it would fill pages.

I wouldn’t treat a pet that way, and don’t believe it should be allowed.

How do you feel about the ill-treatment of animals in Zoos?

zoos are about money,, sad but true.. been to one, never go again..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies