Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM

37,792 posts, read 40,977,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The Millinials (Gen Y) are from 1982 to 2003ish.
Okay, thanks. So the OP quoted article says this:

"Take ’soft’ subjects, be lulled into complacency by grade inflation, have teachers who are tenured and don’t care how rigorously you think, start partying on Wednesdays, take 3-4 courses per semester/quarter and spend 5-6 years to graduate, study six hours per week (at best), believe in all of the liberal causes which produce soft qualative rather than quantative thinking, learn to hate the capitalistic system, don’t care when you get out of school that you’ll still be living at home, etc …"

That would only be part of Gen Y because the latter part of Gen Y isn't in college yet.

I would also add, expect to be homeowners right after they get married, think there is no price tag for social justice, change jobs faster than some people change their underwear, are all about process (everybody weighing in, teams) rather than decisions and results, have tee ball mentality (noncompetitive) in the workplace, think they got a good public school education even as they sit in remedial classes at college, major in things like Peace Studies or Gender Studies and then whine about not being able to find a job, are still attached to their parents long after they should be out in the world (note: only because their parents let them or their government keeps them dependent on mommy and daddy for insurance until age 26)...and it all wouldn't be like this unless they didn't have accomplices in the baby boomer generation that indulge them and/or teach them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,298,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
are all about process (everybody weighing in, teams) rather than decisions and results
I've never understood this stereotype. If anything, my elders tend to get on my case for not wading through process and not wanting to work with teams.

As for the rest of your comment, it's clear that you believe your feces is absent of odor.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
All of the items listed are not all that expensive. The big financial killers for gen Y are school and medical insurance. We could afford to provide for this generation and all that follow by simply enacting a few simple changes based on leveling the international playing field with countervailing tariffs (to Hell with Achmed. Let him change his own country instead of destroying ours), progressive income taxes, strict limits in immigration, work week limits to control the abuse of overtime and asset taxes (see Share our Wealth proposals) and proper regulation of the banking and finance industries.

Considering how the top 1/2 of 1% owns our government and our economy accomplishing these needed reforms will be nearly impossible. Even with these difficulties providing a decent standard of living along with a universal health care system and guaranteed pensions for our small business and working population is the proper thing to do.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I've never understood this stereotype. If anything, my elders tend to get on my case for not wading through process and not wanting to work with teams.

As for the rest of your comment, it's clear that you believe your feces is absent of odor.
I am in the Gen Y group and have huge respect for the Boomers. Have much less respect for Gen x. Perhaps it is my experience to date.

I am at a large Fortune 500 company. Gen Y seem to think they are more innovative than they are, rush to decisions (and not as appreciative for some old school business principals), to focused on technology and less self reliant.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
I am in the Gen Y group and have huge respect for the Boomers. Have much less respect for Gen x. Perhaps it is my experience to date.

I am at a large Fortune 500 company. Gen Y seem to think they are more innovative than they are, rush to decisions (and not as appreciative for some old school business principals), to focused on technology and less self reliant.
Why am I not surprised that someone at a Fortune 500 company does not know the difference between principals and principles, or the difference between to and too, or proper syntax? Let alone expressing an original thought and not just some meme. And yet I'm the one who can't get a job.

Anyway, I think that Boomers look down on the younger generations because it is a stereotyped thing for older people to do, and in their narcissism, they miss the irony that they are acting just like their parents did.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Why am I not surprised that someone at a Fortune 500 company does not know the difference between principals and principles, or the difference between to and too, or proper syntax? Let alone expressing an original thought and not just some meme. And yet I'm the one who can't get a job.

Anyway, I think that Boomers look down on the younger generations because it is a stereotyped thing for older people to do, and in their narcissism, they miss the irony that they are acting just like their parents did.

Funny...with 3 degrees I would know the difference, but I could care less if I make typos on a public posting cite. FYI, I left academia as it was much more lucrative in private sector...

Dig a little deeper, doubt it is narcissm..think it is the know it all attitudes and I want mine now atitude that is rampent in Gen X. Good things take along time in many instances....

Old 06-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Funny...with 3 degrees I would know the difference, but I could care less if I make typos on a public posting cite. FYI, I left academia as it was much more lucrative in private sector...

Dig a little deeper, doubt it is narcissm..think it is the know it all attitudes and I want mine now atitude that is rampent in Gen X. Good things take along time in many instances....
A typo is when you know how to spell and write, but you get your fingers crossed. It is not a typo when you're accustomed to using spell check, but in one instance you forget to check (or make errors that spell check can't fix). That is what we call "being caught with your pants down."

I'll be generous and assume that all the errors in your reply are intentional and motivated by snarkiness.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
A typo is when you know how to spell and write, but you get your fingers crossed. It is not a typo when you're accustomed to using spell check, but in one instance you forget to check (or make errors that spell check can't fix). That is what we call "being caught with your pants down."

I'll be generous and assume that all the errors in your reply are intentional and motivated by snarkiness.
Ha, you are too serious....is snarkiness a word? No it is a typo. I don't use spell checks on a public site, as it is a waste of time....and I don't find value in it...

Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
and I do not find any value in your posts. They are just more self serving balderdash.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Ha, you are too serious....is snarkiness a word? No it is a typo. I don't use spell checks on a public site, as it is a waste of time....and I don't find value in it...
...and spell check is not the issue, like I said. Snarkiness is a new word that the site has not bothered to recognize. Yes, it is slang and it may or may not become canon, but I used it because it was the best word for the context. Your inability to communicate is much more pervasive than a little questionable slang.

You're right that it's not a huge issue. I'm just bitter that minds like yours can get further in life than minds like mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies