Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
THEY ARE NOT SUBSIDIES.. Stop embarassing yourself by repeating the same old talking points proven to be false..
So you would be willing to end the $21 billion oil companies get each year in tax breaks to help lower the deficit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
So you would be willing to end the $21 billion oil companies get each year in tax breaks to help lower the deficit?
They dont get $21B in tax "break", they get business writeoffs, like ALL businesses get.. For gods sakes do some research rather than listening to the left wing talking points who clearly have no business understanding at all or dont mind lying to you, playing you guys for a fool because you run around repeating the lies you are told.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Actually oil companies get a less percentage tax break then some other industries but the oil companies make out well because of the higher volume of profit. 9% for other industries and only 6% for oil companies.

Some of these tax deductions have been on the books for 100 years.

You want to talk subsidies then look to Ag. They get DIRECT government subsidies of near $16 billion. The US government is paying big Ag to leave fields barren. That's subsidy.

link where I got numbers:
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/0...yer-subsidies/

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They dont get $21B in tax "break", they get business writeoffs, like ALL businesses get.. For gods sakes do some research rather than listening to the left wing talking points who clearly have no business understanding at all or dont mind lying to you, playing you guys for a fool because you run around repeating the lies you are told.
I'm just repeating actual facts. You are the one pulling out talking points.

So, to help lower the deficit should we get rid of "write-offs" for the most profitable oil companies, which happen to cost taxpayers $21 billion per year?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

So, to help lower the deficit should we get rid of "write-offs" for the most profitable oil companies, which happen to cost taxpayers $21 billion per year?
So change the tax code ? All companies but oil companies get deductions ?
Isn't that along the same lines as tax the rich and leave the rest of us alone ?

That is fascism my friend and of the worst kind.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:

Fine, lets play YOUR game..

one of the so called tax "breaks" is the ability to reduce their profits by what they pay out in labor, i.e. payroll.

Are you aware that ALL businesses do this? Why would payroll expenses be taxed as a profit when clearly its an expense? Explain the math to me on this one and share with me these "actual facts"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Isn't that along the same lines as tax the rich and leave the rest of us alone ?

And illegal, but then if liberals dont know the difference between a subsidy, and a business write off, then why would I expect them to recognize whats legal, and not legal..

Last edited by pghquest; 05-31-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Taxing the rich is fascism?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
No shock, but at least there were 97 Representatives willing to vote for keeping the Country solvent. I wonder how many of those 97 were Republican?
Bob, please explain how piling on more debt keeps the country solvent.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Bob, please explain how piling on more debt keeps the country solvent.
The Congress already authorized spending and taxes. It should then be no surprise to Congress that this caused a debt of "X." It's therefore hypocritical for the people who voted for these very spending programs to get indignant about the debt ceiling being raised. If they didn't want to cause a debt they should have raised taxes to pay for what they just approved or not voted for the programs in the first place.

It's like telling the auto dealer salesman that you are going to buy the car and then refusing to sign the loan agreement.

From a practical standpoint, not raising the deb ceiling will require to come up with $750 billion immediately. We can raise taxes by that much or cut out just about everything -- which probably will drive the nation into depression.

Let's also remember what St. Ronald said, "This country cannot be allowed to default on its financial obligations for the first time in history... this would be unthinkable.” -- Ronald Reagan, 1987

Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Well maybe the GE tax break from last year would help. That is especially true now that Obama has taken their CEO to his breast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies