Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:49 PM

672 posts, read 3,079,794 times

Advertisements

First of let me start of by saying I am Muslim guy. When I tell a stranger I am Muslim often enough they have tons of misconceptions. Then there are people I know and I tell them I am Muslim. They are usually surprised since I don't seem like the Muslims they have in their mind. Here is a short list of what I have seen:

1.) Americans think all Muslim are foreigners and they have a foreign home country to go back to. But I was born in US and only have US citizenship, I definitely don't have another country to go back to! I know a lot Muslim in younger generation are in similar situation as me.

2.) For some reason Muslims immediately associated as fundamentalist. But I know a lot of Muslims, like me, who aren't religious. For example, I would never take the Koran literally or say it is 100% right. I will admit there are lot of stupid things written in Koran when I read it last long time ago!

3.) Many westerners expect Muslim women to wear Hijab or Burka. No women in my immediate family or friends wear anything to cover their heads. Often some people are surprised to hear they are Muslim.

4.) A lot of Americans things all Muslim are extremely socially conservative. I most defintely am not. I am all for Gay Marriage, legalization of illegal drugs and prostitution!

I seriously do thing people then lump all these different people, like Muslim, into one big category. They really need to realize not all Muslims are alike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,942,517 times
Your thread title is sure to get you some fans.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,020,951 times
Ever think nobody gives a crap what you believe

I dont, but great thread.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:55 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,485,471 times
not worth comment

Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 AM

11,145 posts, read 10,911,704 times
[quote=unseengundam;19393041]

Quote:
I know a lot of Muslims, like me, who aren't religious. For example, I would never take the Koran literally or say it is 100% right. I will admit there are lot of stupid things written in Koran when I read it last long time ago!
Then you are not a Muslim. There are tons of people who claim they are "Christian" as well that don't live the Christian lifestyle. Just because you were raised a certain way does not mean that you have a right to retain the title if you don't practice what the belief entails. Most dedicated Muslims would consider you an apostate and an infidel.

Quote:
A lot of Americans things all Muslim are extremely socially conservative. I most defintely am not. I am all for Gay Marriage, legalization of illegal drugs and prostitution!
Once again. You are not a "Muslim". You are an infidel just like the rest of us, and ANY true muslim would condemn your lifestyle.

Quote:
I seriously do thing people then lump all these different people, like Muslim, into one big category. They really need to realize not all Muslims are alike!
Once again, you are NOT a Muslim. You seem to want to retain the title even though you go against what they believe is the right way. You can't be serious. I call troll on this one.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 AM

672 posts, read 3,079,794 times
[quote=ditchlights;19393244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post

Then you are not a Muslim. There are tons of people who claim they are "Christian" as well that don't live the Christian lifestyle. Just because you were raised a certain way does not mean that you have a right to retain the title if you don't practice what the belief entails. Most dedicated Muslims would consider you an apostate and an infidel.

Once again. You are not a "Muslim". You are an infidel just like the rest of us, and ANY true muslim would condemn your lifestyle.

Once again, you are NOT a Muslim. You seem to want to retain the title even though you go against what they believe is the right way. You can't be serious. I call troll on this one.
I have same right a those Christian to call myself Muslim! This is a free country and I can most definitely can still call myself a Muslim if I want.

I think I still follow a decent amount of Muslim custom. For example, I don't eat pork or drink alcohol. I still pray to Allah every night and have no problem going to Masjid once in awhile!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 AM

11,145 posts, read 10,911,704 times
[quote=unseengundam;19393285][quote=ditchlights;19393244]

Quote:
I have same right a those Christian to call myself Muslim! This is a free country and I can most definitely can still call myself a Muslim if I want.
You can "call" yourself whatever you want, but I'm pretty sure most dedicated muslims will take exception to your lifestyle.

Quote:
I think I still follow a decent amount of Muslim custom. For example, I don't eat pork or drink alcohol. I still pray to Allah every night and have no problem going to Masjid once in awhile!
What happened to praying five times a day? Do you really think that Allah finds favor with you? I think Allah would deem you quite unworthy for paradise.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,240,102 times
[quote=unseengundam;19393285]
Quote:

Well, good for you.

May I be the first to tell you how much the rest of us appreciate having to wait in line and take our shoes off and be x-rayed and searched for bombs and have our water bottles confiscated every time we want to take an airplane anywhere?

Not to mention the outrageous price of gasoline, the absurd arguments over women covering or not covering their heads and faces, the assassination of a man who would have been elected President in 1968, and the thousands of innocent people blown to bits by suicide bombs all over the world?

The rest of the world just loves what you've done for us. Maybe someday we'll get a chance to do it back to you. Tell your pals to knock off the remote control bombs and the recruitment of mental defectives to do their killing. Tell them to go all overt on us.

Make our day.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 AM

38,608 posts, read 26,228,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
First of let me start of by saying I am Muslim guy. When I tell a stranger I am Muslim often enough they have tons of misconceptions. Then there are people I know and I tell them I am Muslim. They are usually surprised since I don't seem like the Muslims they have in their mind. Here is a short list of what I have seen:

1.) Americans think all Muslim are foreigners and they have a foreign home country to go back to. But I was born in US and only have US citizenship, I definitely don't have another country to go back to! I know a lot Muslim in younger generation are in similar situation as me.

2.) For some reason Muslims immediately associated as fundamentalist. But I know a lot of Muslims, like me, who aren't religious. For example, I would never take the Koran literally or say it is 100% right. I will admit there are lot of stupid things written in Koran when I read it last long time ago!

3.) Many westerners expect Muslim women to wear Hijab or Burka. No women in my immediate family or friends wear anything to cover their heads. Often some people are surprised to hear they are Muslim.

4.) A lot of Americans things all Muslim are extremely socially conservative. I most definitely am not. I am all for Gay Marriage, legalization of illegal drugs and prostitution!

OK, so lets get right to the painfully obvious question. If you have so many issues with this religion, why don't you publicly renounce it and start over as an Atheist/Agnostic or find a religion you can wholeheartedly embrace?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,046,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Some kinda Muslim I never heard of before.

Not really a Muslim. Nor really American either.
I know some socially liberal Muslims. I even know a few gay Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies