Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What does fourth amendment protect?
It certainly doesn't protect drug use. You're going in circles. It protects against unreasonable search and siezures. If the government is going to give you money, they have the ability and the right to make certain demands. If you choose to accept the money, then you accept the conditions. If I get a government grant, it must be used under the conditions provided. The 4th amendment doesn't provide absolute protection against all searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
so what?

i know many people living the high life on unemployment when they can be working.
Really?
Somehow, I doubt that, I've never met anyone yet that got rich on unemployment.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I really don't care one way or the other. There is no constitutional violation because it is a choice. I do have a few questions though.

1. Consistancy. This is inconsistant with the ideology of smaller govt., this is in fact bigger govt. and certainly nanny state style govt. This creates a larger beauracracy, which apparently is o.k., if you are seeking to regulate the poor and not help the poor.

2. Welfare is mainly for parents with children. SO what happens to the children when the parents are cut off? Do we then take them in and pay for their upbringing, or do we allow them to starve? This actually creates more govt.

You guys on the extreme right need to understand your own ideology.
Excellent question and it has already been asked by many in Florida. As far as I know, it has not be satisfactorily answered.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:11 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It certainly doesn't protect drug use. You're going in circles. It protects against unreasonable search and siezures. If the government is going to give you money, they have the ability and the right to make certain demands. If you choose to accept the money, then you accept the conditions. If I get a government grant, it must be used under the conditions provided. The 4th amendment doesn't provide absolute protection against all searches.
To test for drug use is an unreasonable search. What is your take on the Patriot Act, BTW?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Does this test, also test for tobacco and alcohol?

It should.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:18 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
To test for drug use is an unreasonable search. What is your take on the Patriot Act, BTW?
To test randomly, I agree with you. To test as a condition for handing someone money they applied to get, is a different issue.

What part of the Patriot Act?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Does this test, also test for tobacco and alcohol?

It should.
Testing for legal stuff?
Really?
How about caffeine?
One can get a false positive for alcohol by using hand sanitizer.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,846 times
I got an idea, since in one form or another we all receive assistance from the government - why not test the entire populace to determine who is eligible. Better yet, why not have to pass a drug test every 30 days to keep citizenship, so you can keep receiving these benefits of citizenship.

Never mind the fact that what is viewed as a legal drug vs illegal boils down $$ and typically not sound logic. How many people that abuse Rx drugs, perscribed by a doctor gets a free pass, but if I want to smoke a doobie with my friends why we play cards, I'm prosecuted. What about alcohol? Is that being put on the no no list, or does that get an exception for the testing?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Testing for legal stuff?
Really?
How about caffeine?
One can get a false positive for alcohol by using hand sanitizer.
So you think coke-cola, pepsi, coffee, cigs, and alcohol are food stamp or welfare $$ well spent? Just because their legal? Talk about

Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
I got an idea, since in one form or another we all receive assistance from the government - why not test the entire populace to determine who is eligible. Better yet, why not have to pass a drug test every 30 days to keep citizenship, so you can keep receiving these benefits of citizenship.

Never mind the fact that what is viewed as a legal drug vs illegal boils down $$ and typically not sound logic. How many people that abuse Rx drugs, perscribed by a doctor gets a free pass, but if I want to smoke a doobie with my friends why we play cards, I'm prosecuted. What about alcohol? Is that being put on the no no list, or does that get an exception for the testing?

Oh the irony! Seriously, that prescription s*** is highly addictive, and there is a risk of overdose to the point of death (same with alcohol) yet pot is illegal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies