Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'd say this part was too much. It'd be one thing if he'd have just watched the guy die while waiting for paramedics, but another gun and 5 more times? Yah....he probably deserves to be punished. That's not self-defense.
How I so love that Christian sense of compassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
The next candidate for a long stretch in prison due to their total ignorance of the legal concept of self-defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
That's a good point on the first part. If he was already dead, then the worst the pharmacist could be charged with is abuse of a corpse. If the robber was still alive, and arguably still a threat, then the self defense becomes clear.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The problem with 'you people' is your lack of reading comprehension and respect for the law.

The first shot that pharmacist took was clearly self-defense and he was well within his rights.

Pretty much all of us would like to see people like these thugs dealt with in a, um, permanent manner. But we KNOW that we can't just do that. Because it is against the law.

Make it a law that I can dispense any justice I want on my own property and we can talk about something else. But for now, the law says you can use self-defense as a affirmative defense. Once the kid was incapacitated, it wasn't self-defense anymore. It was murder.

Unfortunate, but true.

Wish I could rep. you again.

Responsible gun owners in this thread seem to be the ones who actually "get it" despite our political disagreements on other topics.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Certain people?

Quit lying...you have not read up on this subject "extensively." This is not an issue of "certain people." This is about a direct correlation to success. It is widely known, and widely studied. That you would attribute it to "certain individuals" proves that you know nothing about this topic.
So now you're clairvoyant? You know how much I read? Sir....and I use that term hopefully....as someone who is a black person with a name, and who has named three actual black people, rest assured that I know a helluva lot more about this subject than you do. I have forgotten more reading material than you have perused. Actually, that I have attributed this phenomenon to the biases held by certain individuals hits the central issue behind the "direct correlation to success." I.e., if a black person has a name that is "acceptable" to white people, chances are he or she will be more "successful" than the one whose name is not acceptable to white people.

As I have said, myopia. See what I mean?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I have a hard time blaming a grieving mother for believing that her son was a good boy, even though the facts show something different.

No, you said "the detrimental effects that poorly chosen names actually do have." Why is it the fault of parents for choosing a name that reflects their culture and heritage, rather than people who choose to disrespect it and treat them differently for it? Again, it's not much different than the slave driver whipping Kunta Kinte until he says his name is Toby. After all, Kunta Kinte would be a "poorly chosen name" in the United States.
I no longer dignify comments that imply racism and even drag slavery into a well known, and well studied phenomenon. I refuse to stoop to your level. Try someone else. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
As in Kevin-Prince Boateng?

Picking an exception won't change the trend. For whatever reason Kevin is the worst name you can have there (or Chantal if you are a girl/woman). In Britain Kevin is also rather negative, kind of white trashy

Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,586,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sorry. You can't tell me people who make up 'unique' names for their kids aren't doing it to make them stand out.
What do you consider unique, and what is wrong with standing out?

People of many ethnicities have names that stand out here in America. The only problem some people have (and I am not saying you are one of those people) is when black people's names stand out.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I have no insight into why they do it, nor does it affect my point in the slightest. Obviously the children should suffer no negative effect from their parents' name choice.
No. But we don't live in some vacuum. The parents know that they are doing this to their kids. Whether or not it's right, it happens.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:58 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What do you consider unique, and what is wrong with standing out?

People of many ethnicities have names that stand out here in America. The only problem some people have (and I am not saying you are one of those people) is when black people's names stand out.
I was referencing a post that someone made that said the kids don't deserve to be singled out for their name. Of course they don't.

And as a person of 'ethnicity' whose name is quite unique HERE (but is actually a real name in the culture from which my parents came), I can tell you that there IS a difference in coming from another country with a name from that country and living for centuries in this one and purposely making up names...just as my name marked me as a child of immigrants, those black names mark those kids...

The question is whether or not your particular culture is revered or an object of disdain.

Not saying there is anything right or wrong about coming to various conclusions based on a name.

I don't care what someone's name is. I only care about their character and contributions to society.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I no longer dignify comments that imply racism and even drag slavery into a well known, and well studied phenomenon. I refuse to stoop to your level. Try someone else. Thanks.
Then maybe you shouldn't post comments that have direct shades of slavery and racism, with forced name changes for the sake of "fitting in."

Quote:
Black people...do well by your kids and give them names that society respects.
Society does not equal white people. Just because you choose to believe that nobody with a name like Antwun can be successful doesn't give you the right to demand that people choose more WASPy names.

I bet you could've said just as easily saying "With a name like "Barack," the victim was destined for greatness. " Or how about "With a name like "Shaquille," the victim was destined for greatness. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies