Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?????????
Unions 2 3.33%
Plotocrats 8 13.33%
Government 19 31.67%
Technology 2 3.33%
Corporations' Sympathy For The Devoloping World(Globalization) 29 48.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,038,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
Um. How about for the good of America? For the good of society as a whole? For the good of our families? For the good of the next generation?

All of these things are important and are being neglected in favor of cold ca$h.
Again I ask.

What do YOU pay for labor? The most or the least?

Do you only buy American made products?

What make car do you drive?

Do you talk this trash to your kids? That they can only make it if someone hands them something?

Cold cash is good!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:35 PM

537 posts, read 818,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
If we as a nation throw ethics and decency out the window then we are, or will be, no better than any civil war-torn, third world nation.

We were prosperous when there was a healthy, solid middle class. The trend toward just two classes, upper and lower, is what is sinking the economy. Currently we are going backward, to the time of royalty and serfs. When one group holds all the power, and by that I mean economic power, that is the inevitable outcome.

Maybe some don't think that could ever happen, but if feels to me that it is beginning.
The biggest problem towards actually getting a healthy middle class back is the complete lack of moderation and rationality in our politics. Issues such as jobs, the economy, the school system, and the shrinking middle class are being overshadowed by frivolous crap like Obama's birth certificate and him inviting Common to the White House. Not to mention fear-mongering and the massive level of partisanship among our media and politicians. We can't get our nation moving again until we start acting rationally and decently.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Did I say anything even remotely along the lines of "there are no wealthy liberals?" Honestly, if you want to dispute what I said, at least know what it I actually said.
From the post I was replying to....

This remark is targeted at conservatives.....

"You've got working class people voting for a party that benefits mostly the rich...."

obama is pretty cozy with the largest outsourcing corporation in America, GE. In fact, their CEO heads up obamas economic advisory panel.

What do they advise? How to pay ZERO taxes? Or how to best export jobs?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM

537 posts, read 818,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Again I ask.

What do YOU pay for labor? The most or the least?

Do you only buy American made products?

What make car do you drive?

Do you talk this trash to your kids? That they can only make it if someone hands them something?

Cold cash is good!
I don't even know I'm bothering to debate with you. You're twisting what I said into something I did not say. Your view on business ethics and society is repugnant and is shared by too many people in our society.

I never said that they can only make it if someone hands them something. I'm saying that the people on top should be less greedy and selfish and more caring about the little guys. Society would a lot better if they did this.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:39 PM

1,740 posts, read 957,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
There is only so much wealth in the world.
I have to strongly disagree with your statement, which seems to underlie your basic argument.

Wealth is created and destroyed all the time. To say that there is a finite amount of wealth in the world, and it is only a question of how it is distributed, is an enormous error.

Bill Gates and his partners in creating Microsoft created a vast amount of wealth, and not just for themselves. The world is a more prosperous (and better) place because of wealth producers like him.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,969,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i absolutely cannot believe that there are still people saying that the "money is there". it is unbelievable.

WE ARE A DEBT SATURATED SOCIETY WITH DWINDLING EMPLOYMENT.

what is equally unbelievable is that the concept that taking care of your family now consists of begging/demanding/depending on the government.

i am starting to fear for my country.
YOU can't believe because YOU don't have any math facts in your head.

US corporate profits alone on an annualized basis far exceed the annual budget deficit.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I don't even know I'm bothering to debate with you. You're twisting what I said into something I did not say. Your view on business ethics and society is repugnant and is shared by too many people in our society.

I never said that they can only make it if someone hands them something. I'm saying that the people on top should be less greedy and selfish and more caring about the little guys. Society would a lot better if they did this.
Please answer the question.

What brand car do you drive?

individuals are responsible for society. Not "the wealthy".

You tend to look at things in a skewed way. "If only the evil wealthy would share some of what they have with me, I would be able to survive!"

Nobody owes you anything!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,969,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true.

You do realize that government doesn't have your best interest at heart, don't you?

But I can see that the dems have you locked up tight as a drum.

Gimmee, gimmee, gimmee!
True, don't take my word for it. That's why I provided two links discussing objective measures of social mobility.

Reasonable people after reading through them know it's you lying about social mobility in the USA.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
YOU can't believe because YOU don't have any math facts in your head.

US corporate profits alone on an annualized basis far exceed the annual budget deficit.
So what?

Are corporations supposed to surrender the fruits of their labor to the government?

Name one time in American history that extra money went towards paying down the debt.

Name one government program that is run efficiently.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:47 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,453,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Robert Reich is a guy that pisses me off. Now he talks nicely and eloquently about America's economy and pinpoints the problems accurately.
However, when in office, he pushed for globalization and helped draft the worst trade agreements for the US. Worse even then what republicans signed.
Give us a break Prof. Reich!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.