Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,170,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Isn't it pathetic, the most common form of litter...........not just in the USA...........but..............IN THE WORLD.

Yes, for some reason it is acceptable for smokers to throw their filthy ciggy butts anywhere and everywhere.....how pathetic:

Cigarettes are the most common form of litter in the world, with more than 5.6 trillion filters finding their way into the environment every year.

full article:

Cigarettes are the most common form of litter in the world

Toxicity of cigarette butts, and their chemical components, to marine and freshwater fish -- Slaughter et al. 20 (Suppl 1): i25 -- Tobacco Control

I walk a lot......some areas have literally thousands of butts everywhere. Some areas look so bad due to the filthy butts EVERYWHERE. And this stuff gets into the water systems......man.....pretty sad.

How about a recycling tax, say 10 cents a cigarette, you get the money back when you turn in your butts at a recycling center.

the most common form of littering is not cigarette butts. the most common form of litter is politicians breathing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,543,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
He is missing the issue though.

Private property is not our responsibility. If one likes trash sitting around, then that's their business.

He quoted me talking about an apartment place. Again, this is private property, however the property owner may put a policy as such to the lease holders and in my example, this was the case.

Public property, now that is a different issue as the responsibility of its condition is the city/state which ultimately rests on the tax payers as we pay for the clean up of such if it becomes an issue. So, when another litters, it basically ends up costing everyone money out of their pocket to deal with such. At this point, we can object and demand that those who are costing us money are dealt with.

Now in the example of the OP, it appears he is complaining about how another keeps their private property and that is outside of his control and honestly none of his business unless he can show directly that this is causing him issues which makes it a civil case between parties.

If he is so concerned about such, he already has all of the power to remedy the issue. That is, he will need to document the trash on the property, show that it is increasing insect and other issues past a reasonable occurrence and then show how it is directly effecting him. At that point, he can then demand action of the neighbor to change the conditions so he no longer has an effect on those surrounding him. The power is in his hands and if the position is "reasonable", something can be done. Is it a reasonable case though or is the issue simply one neighbor whining about the other because they dislike the way they keep their property?

This is why these stupid blanket laws are so offensive. They are impulsive, poorly thought out, individually motivated, and often founded on exaggerated claims of the problem.
Good grief, I wrote that in jest, hoping some of you folks would see how ridiculous you sound.
The idea is that just because I find something another is doing or has done to be unsightly - it's not my problem and it's none of my business - as you are pointing out. I could have more of a gripe about my neighbors loaded trashcans, exaggerating the impact on my life, but in truth, I notice, then go on my way. This whole thread is an example of people searching for ways to change the world, when the best way to do that is be the person you want to meet, or your dog thinks you are. In other words, people will never live up to your expectations, just live up to those you set for yourself.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,692,854 times
Quote:
I understand your attempt to get a point across as it being "too severe", yet your example is not even in the ballpark of such. The fines are already "ridiculous" as it is. You can get a 1k fine in some places for throwing a gum wrapper on the ground. I am merely suggesting the fine be put up to levels where someone would have to be completely stupid to even think of such. Though to be honest, if they simply split the fine with the person who reported it even for the fines now, I wager more would be caught.

I agree that my suggestion is too severe and ridiculous. My point is that I don't think more severe punishment prevents violations.

The likelihood of getting caught is a much stronger deterrent.

I don't think the solution to litter is more laws and fines. The solution is high school education, pride and private groups of volunteers picking up litter. Or maybe even using unemployed people or those on welfare. You want a check, pick up trash.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:44 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,593,793 times
My stepdaughter was the world's worst at tossing her cig butts around. Every time she visited our house, one or two would show up where she parked her car. And at our lake cabin too. We kept that place pristine but she didn't care. My wife finally talked to her at my insistence, and it slowed down, but didn't stop. She's moved away now, but when they visit, it still happens (once a year maybe). Grrrrr.......

Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,017,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Ooooh. Yeah. The dog doodoo is bad. We always, well 99% (rare occassions forget or get caught without) use the little plastic bags (even try and use the biodegradable ones even though I am not convinced of manmade global warming.) But, frequently see others out with their dogs, who make no effort to clean up after their pet even when its on someone's (often my ) lawn.
I just wanted to highlight this quote to mention that 20 billion plastic bags containing dog poop are sent to landfills each year where the poop is unable to break down and be returned to the environment.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,930,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
how about paying people to report real crimes?
We often do, they come in the form of information rewards that lead to a conviction (many times funded by the local investigating agency).

Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Good grief, I wrote that in jest, hoping some of you folks would see how ridiculous you sound.
The idea is that just because I find something another is doing or has done to be unsightly - it's not my problem and it's none of my business - as you are pointing out. I could have more of a gripe about my neighbors loaded trashcans, exaggerating the impact on my life, but in truth, I notice, then go on my way. This whole thread is an example of people searching for ways to change the world, when the best way to do that is be the person you want to meet, or your dog thinks you are. In other words, people will never live up to your expectations, just live up to those you set for yourself.
On private property, you are correct. On public property, where such actions cost the public money, you are incorrect. It is every bit of our business.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree that my suggestion is too severe and ridiculous. My point is that I don't think more severe punishment prevents violations.

The likelihood of getting caught is a much stronger deterrent.

I don't think the solution to litter is more laws and fines. The solution is high school education, pride and private groups of volunteers picking up litter. Or maybe even using unemployed people or those on welfare. You want a check, pick up trash.
Oh I agree,it likely will not deter those who truly are responsible. That said, it will place complete responsibility on those who commit the violation and it will force them to clean up the trash, and if they add a shared reward for the reporting, it is likely there will be many more caught in such actions which will result in more money funded to the clean ups and more people (offenders) out cleaning up trash.

I do like the idea of getting paid to pickup trash, and I think it would be quite successful if the fine money went directly to fund those who do temp work picking up trash. The overall result could be very beneficial. Jobs for those who need a quick buck, money to fund the work of clean up, and as a result of making it an entrepreneurial venture, likely much much cleaner public areas.

Combine your idea with my suggestion of a higher fine (it doesn't have to be as high as I suggested, 1-2k would be sufficient) and a splitting of the reward with the reporting person that leads to a valid case of littering, it could work very nicely.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,490,853 times
Quote:
Oh I agree,it likely will not deter those who truly are responsible. That said, it will place complete responsibility on those who commit the violation and it will force them to clean up the trash, and if they add a shared reward for the reporting, it is likely there will be many more caught in such actions which will result in more money funded to the clean ups and more people (offenders) out cleaning up trash.

I do like the idea of getting paid to pickup trash, and I think it would be quite successful if the fine money went directly to fund those who do temp work picking up trash. The overall result could be very beneficial. Jobs for those who need a quick buck, money to fund the work of clean up, and as a result of making it an entrepreneurial venture, likely much much cleaner public areas.

Combine your idea with my suggestion of a higher fine (it doesn't have to be as high as I suggested, 1-2k would be sufficient) and a splitting of the reward with the reporting person that leads to a valid case of littering, it could work very nicely.
A major city, no way they could have a high enough level of enforcement to deter most littering, butts included. So many cities are broke, no way to have a whole new crew to enforce littering laws, just not going to happen.

Better to put a deposit tax on things like butts....then have a refund when you recycle the item.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:28 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,490,853 times
And.............this post is dedicated to all of those filtharette smokers who throw their gabage everywhere.

Remember that Native American who did that commercial back in the 70's, tears running from his eyes as he gazes over all of the litter...........that is what I feel like when I see filtharette butts all over the ground:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies