Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You're focusing on speech. I'm focusing on policies (and in case you never read my post before jumping with a response to it, I just re-posted it in my response above). The policies such as interest rate cuts to improve the economy, and relaxing leveraging allowed to banks for lending.

What do you think such actions lead to? Or, would you rather talk about speeches?
So let me get this straight, interest rates being cut, caused the economic recession? So now that rates are even lower then they were then, you are expecting something different?

Whats laughable is you not realising they did IMPROVE the economy, but improving the economy didnt create a bubble. The interest rates are STILL low.. are you telling me we are headed twoards another bubble?

What relaxing of leveraging? You keep saying this is true, but I've posted NUMEROUS times that they tried to tighten them, but Democrats wouldnt go along.. You keep ignoring this for some reason..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
People..what we are seeing is the economy as it appeared before the stimulus and other "free" Fed money got put out in circulation. The hopes were that it would "stimulate" a recovery..the fears were that it would just kick the can down the road.

Well, here we are today, further down the road. I can see the can, can you ?
All that Fed money was not spent the right way. Pet projects and covering shortfalls did not stimulate any meaningful recovery. That money is now gone, those jobs are now gone or unfunded.

We are back to where we were before all this free money.
And now we are tapped out. Next big plan ?
Anything to avoid the austerity measures that Europe is going through right now but in the end we will have to pay.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So let me get this straight, interest rates being cut, caused the economic recession? So now that rates are even lower then they were then, you are expecting something different?

Whats laughable is you not realising they did IMPROVE the economy, but improving the economy didnt create a bubble. The interest rates are STILL low.. are you telling me we are headed twoards another bubble?

What relaxing of leveraging? You keep saying this is true, but I've posted NUMEROUS times that they tried to tighten them, but Democrats wouldnt go along.. You keep ignoring this for some reason..
The question was: What do you think such actions lead to? I'll help lead. When interest rates are cut, it "helps" the economy. How? Does it promote credit/lending? Does it promote savings? Or, does it promote both? Explain.

Now, couple that with allowing banks to leverage at 35:1 compared to 12:1. Do you think that is a policy to promote lending, or savings or both?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
When you have 50 States firing people, it not only results in Public sector job loses, it results in private sector loses as well.
Yeah, do you know why they are? Because the budgets are UNSUSTAINABLE, just like the federal budget is UNSUSTAINABLE, which you've been told many, many times, by the CBO, by the OMB, by hundreds of economists.

But no, you want the federal government to spend MORE of what they don't have.

Quote:
Which was why the Obama stimulus bill was doomed for failure from the start. It was propping up government spending that couldnt be substantiated rather than encouraging true growth in the economy.
His stimulus was targeted to favorite liberal programs that failed to stimulate anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I'm no Obamatron. But you seem to revel in any negative news. BTW, were you the person who repped me on the deleted post
Where am I "reveling"? Oh, I know! Just be reporting it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
No, the stimulus was way too small in the first place from pure macro economic arithmetic.

But the argument that the federal government was stimulating while the States were contracting, is a good point.

A perspective by that right-hated (because he's almost always correct and so damn smart) Paul Krugman:
Wrong...again..still. The stimulus went to PROP UP the state budgets TEMPORARILY...for a year...and now the piper is being paid. See, obama didn't want to see all those government employee unions losing so many jobs.

As has been said time and time again. The state budgets in current form (bloated) are unsustainable.Same with the bloated federal government.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
The question was: What do you think such actions lead to? I'll help lead. When interest rates are cut, it "helps" the economy. How? Does it promote credit/lending? Does it promote savings? Or, does it promote both? Explain.
helping the economy out of a recession did NOT create an economic bubble, in order for that to be true, you'd be suggesting that we should be increasing the interest rate to slow the wonderful prosperity taking place right now and to stop another one from taking place.
Quote:
Now, couple that with allowing banks to leverage at 35:1 compared to 12:1. Do you think that is a policy to promote lending, or savings or both?
It leads to lending of course, but how did that create a bubble considering 95% of the mortgages were GOVERNMENT backed..

If you wanted lending to slow down, you LOWER the guarantees, which is what Bush tried to do, but Democrats stopped him. Bank portfolio lending actually FELL to record levels after the standards were changed.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
When Obama said unemployment wouldn't reach 8% if we passed the stimulus, I didn't know he meant that we would stay above that number. I guess I misunderstood.
Yeah, who knew this is what he meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
you cant fix something that has already been decided.

we have been on this course for 20 years now.

whats done is done.
Then it was doubly stupid to take $1+Trillion out of the economy, wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They'll continue to carpet bomb with lies and propoganda as evidenced on this thread.
Didn't work so well in 2010, won't work in 2012. The ads and attacks haven't even started yet. Debt, deficit, spending (which the GOP has the public on it's side), gas prices, housing - THOSE will be the issues, along with obamacare, the law the democrats passed that has been deemed unconstitutional.

Quote:
Extreme thinking, but you may have a point that the returns from food stamps would have been more effective than from not-even-noticeable tax cuts.

Evidence of the world you reside in.
Food stamps instead of a paycheck, huh?

This is a great little article on the mentality of business in the age of obama; Why they won't hire.

Business has told us repeatedly how anti-business they view obama, what with his unpopular legislation and heavy handed regulatory agenda.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-000-feet.html

Quote:
“Because I don’t know how much it will cost,” he explains. “How can I hire new workers today, when I don’t know how much they will cost me tomorrow?”

Last edited by sanrene; 06-03-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
In order to recover economically,

-we need to take a 20% hit in our standard of living because it's being propped up by bubbles and free credit
-we need to deleverage
-we need to adopt asset backed currency
-then we need to grow our economy the right way by focusing on production and the creation of wealth and value, not by changes in consumption backed by credit cards
-we need to reevaluate the role of the federal government, from being a caregiver, to being an entity that facilitates a free, prosperous and republican (lower case "r") society.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Is it possible that some of the loss was from natural disasters? The Japan tsunami affected auto production and the tornadoes destroyed a lot of businesses. Rebuilding should create some additional jobs in the months to come.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
helping the economy out of a recession did NOT create an economic bubble, in order for that to be true, you'd be suggesting that we should be increasing the interest rate to slow the wonderful prosperity taking place right now and to stop another one from taking place.
What recession did we have in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005...?

Quote:
It leads to lending of course, but how did that create a bubble considering 95% of the mortgages were GOVERNMENT backed..

If you wanted lending to slow down, you LOWER the guarantees, which is what Bush tried to do, but Democrats stopped him.
First of all, thank you for accepting that such policies, implemented to prop-up the economy since 2001, encouraged lending. Now, that wouldn't create a credit bubble, or would it?

Next up is your issue with government backing of loans and the right wing rhetoric that is Bush reform to regulate the GSEs. Two questions so we can go into the details and discuss it:
1- What was the Bush reform supposed to do, in terms of the regulations that were meant to be imposed? I'm expecting your take/analysis on it.
2- Why did the reform not get through over several years?

I read a lot about the reform, but don't find any substance on the reform itself. I read how Barney Frank single handedly prevented the passage of the reform when republicans had control of both houses and had the White House.

PS. Do not post videos for two reasons. They're usually edited per convenience and don't necessarily depict the context (and are more like election ads than the reality) but more importantly, I can't watch videos to be able to provide any feedback on it.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Food stamps instead of a paycheck, huh?
Your words, your conclusion to the extent of your ability to think, not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
In order to recover economically,

-we need to take a 20% hit in our standard of living because it's being propped up by bubbles and free credit
-we need to deleverage
-we need to adopt asset backed currency
-then we need to grow our economy the right way by focusing on production and the creation of wealth and value, not by changes in consumption backed by credit cards
-we need to reevaluate the role of the federal government, from being a caregiver, to being an entity that facilitates a free, prosperous and republican (lower case "r") society.
I guess, then, that my post (#154) was ignored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies