Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 02:32 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post

"I am an American black conservative, an ABC and I’m proud of it!" a fiery Cain said from the podium, drawing huge applause. He added that he hates being labeled by others and said, "I’ve been called a racist too! Go figure! I haven’t figured that one out yet."
But he said it's really "because I won’t stay on the Democrat plantation like I’m supposed to.
"I have two observations for you," Cain said. "Number one, if you’re black and you disagree with the president [it doesn't imply racism]. … It may shock you but some black people can think for themselves. Number two, if we ever reach the point where we cannot criticize constructively our elected leaders we’re no longer the republic that the founders intended. We’ve become a nation of tyranny."

Herman Cain 'won't stay on the Democrat plantation' - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

Wonderful, Herman I hope many other blacks will change their view in seeing you

He's a good man, and I've donated to his campaign. I would like to see him as my next President although I know it is a longshot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 824,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
What does that have to do with allowing Cain into someone's home?
Would you allow him into YOU'RE home?

Old 06-04-2011, 02:57 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
I really get sick of how some Blacks use slave metaphors to speak about modern day life. It shows a huge lack of forward thinking. I can't imagine a Chinese candidate talking about "coolies" and trying to apply that to modern day society. This is what turns me off from Cain more than anything else. He's a race baiter.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:00 PM

1,027 posts, read 824,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I really get sick of how some Blacks use slave metaphors to speak about modern day life. It shows a huge lack of forward thinking. I can't imagine a Chinese candidate talking about "coolies" and trying to apply that to modern day society. This is what turns me off from Cain more than anything else. He's a race baiter.

Exactly I have yet to see Obama use a quote like "Hes on the plantation"...its utterly tactless.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:13 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Would you allow him into YOU'RE home?
Without a doubt, you wouldn't? I'd love to have a tenth of his business experience and knowledge, that's still more than Obama could ever dream of having.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:26 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
"Plantation Mentality" has been a code word used by Black Conservatives for a long time. I first heard it used over 15 years ago. I think its an initiation phrase they have to say in front of white conservatives to prove they are not regular black folk. In the old days (1860's) they would say "as good as white but not quite" in referring to some blacks who were not slaves.

I think it gets used the most by blacks who have no idea of actual plantation life for slaves. IMO the plantation could sometimes be a place were certain blacks were equal to whites and held power over them in a way a free black didn't have. And example is that a free black had no recourse when treated unfairly by a non slave holding white. There are many historical accounts of a plantation owner coming to the defence of his slave demanding fair treatment and getting it, as plantation owners were more powerful than the courts.

I am not saying that conservative or liberal blacks have a "plantation mentality." I am saying that the phrase is used to play on the romanticized view of a slave. It is a black person who wants to convey that he is not "statistically black"

Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
They do this to appease to the people who think that are black people still expect them to feel guilty about slavery. It's their way of saying "Hey, I'm not like those black people"

Old 06-04-2011, 03:39 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
What does that have to do with allowing Cain into someone's home?
Nothing but he had to bring racism into the fold somehow because that is all that the libs know to do.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:03 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Independent and free thinking people (not just blacks) usually scares the hell out of Liberals ..
Actually independent and free thinking people are the antithesis of Conservative America and damn near everything it stands for:

Free thinking people respect a woman's right to either have an abortion on not.

Free thinking people are not threatened by same-sex marriage, or equal rights for gays, or transgendered people.

Free thinking people know enough about the Constitution that they feel no need to pass laws that outlaw Sharia Law.

Free thinking people may or may not like President Obama but their dislike is not based on his race.

Free thinking people KNOW Sarah Palin and Donald Trump are nothing more than political opportunists.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually independent and free thinking people are the antithesis of Conservative America and damn near everything it stands for:

Free thinking people respect a woman's right to either have an abortion on not.

Free thinking people are not threatened by same-sex marriage, or equal rights for gays, or transgendered people.

Free thinking people know enough about the Constitution that they feel no need to pass laws that outlaw Sharia Law.

Free thinking people may or may not like President Obama but their dislike is not based on his race.

Free thinking people KNOW Sarah Palin and Donald Trump are nothing more than political opportunists.
You Meanie, picking on the children again I see, good job
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies