U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 AM

37,211 posts, read 20,938,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When will you people accept the fact that Revere was arrested and held until he told the British that the colonists had a force of people ready to fight them? Do you know that the primary chore of those three men, Revere, Prescott, and Dawes was to warn Sam Adams in Concord that the British were coming and that Revere didn't even get to Concord since he was arrested. Maybe Longfellow should have mentioned Prescott and the whole story instead of trying to make Revere more of a hero than he really was.
I believe that Sam Adams was in Lexington, and Revere did warn him. Concord was where the ammunition depot was, which is why Revere was headed there. You might want to verify that information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,794,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If Longfellow had done that then more people would know about Prescott and Dawes but Longfellow was a poet, not a historian.
I wrote about this point on page 59. I repeat it here for those who missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I admit, that I probably would not have given much of a better answer than Ms. Palin. It has been many decades since I had to sit in class and learn about that evening far, far ago.

I do recall learning years later that Mr. Revere was one of three riders, and that the only one who actually completed his ride was Dr. Prescott (to Concord) to deliver the warning (one rider, Dawes, lost his way).

I have always thought (when I chose to think about it) that Longfellow chose Mr. Revere as the subject of his poem for two reasons: 1) Paul Revere was well-known (he made pots and pans of good quality) and 2) Longfellow could not come up with a rhyme for "Prescott".

Here is what Longfellow settled on:

"Listen my children, and you shall hear
of the midnight ride of Paul Revere.
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-Five:
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year."

Note that he had already decided to begin the poem with "Listen my children". Longfellow liked how 'Revere' rhymed with so many words, like 'year'.

Now, here is his attempt with Prescott (I have access to Longfellow's notebook):

"Listen my children, and you shall be taught
of the midnight ride of Doctor Pres-cott,
Who remembers about the man not caught."

However, Longfellow simply did not like the way it sounded. He also thought that it made the other two sound careless.

He also tried William Dawes:

"Listen my children, and you shall hear cause
of the midnight ride of William Dawes,
Who remembers how Dawes got lost."

Again, Longfellow did not like how it read. He also thought that there was not much else to say about a man getting lost in the dark. How could he continue on that theme for another dozen or so stanzas?

"It was dark and scary, the woods full of owls,
all hooting mysteriously, for no real cause."

So, Longfellow gave up on Prescott and Dawes, and settled on Revere.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 AM

24,890 posts, read 18,854,100 times
Still waiting for where Palin learned that Paul Revere fired shots and rang bells in warning.

Can't find any historical record of that.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:24 AM

5,740 posts, read 5,266,147 times
I just returned to this thread to check it out. Wow - 750 posts on Palin's statements and climbing. Too much to read.
What have we decided?

Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 AM

52 posts, read 33,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh boy, you people are so easily duped into thinking anything anyone wants you to. I guess you just aren't good at comprehension, neither are your sources. She wasn't stating any facts, she used her own words to describe what effect Revere's actions had on the British. Your source and YOU are trying to portray this like she is saying that Revere warned the British that the Redcoats are coming, which is not what she even remotely said.
True. She just didn't answer the question. Where that garbled mess came from only she knows.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 AM

81,413 posts, read 91,889,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I just returned to this thread to check it out. Wow - 750 posts on Palin's statements and climbing. Too much to read.
What have we decided?
Here's my take on it: Palin ignored the first person account of Paul Revere to make up her own story, b/c she didn't know the historical account. In doing so, she stumbled into a place in the narrative where Revere was caught by the Brits and told them the Americans were armed. Her supporters are using this to justify what she said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies