Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The right wingers can edit wikipedia all they want, I refuse to believe that the Revolutionary war was about 2nd amendment rights.
You should perhaps study up on your history then. It is very clear that the proximate cause of hostilities breaking out in the Boston area was the attempts by the British to disarm the colonists, both by preventing access to ammunition (powder), and threatening the confiscation of weapons. The Revolution was fought over a number of issues, including British threats to disarm the colonists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
When Paul Revere was stopped by British soldiers the night of his famous ride, he did say to them that the countryside is mobilizing and you've lost the element of surprise.

Andrew Malcolm of the L.A. Times also backed up Sarah's account
That the Republican non-candidate, in fact, knew more about the actual facts of Revere's midnight ride than all those idiots unknowingly revealing their own ignorance by laughing at her faux faux pas? How secretly embarrassing this must be, to be forced to face that you're dumber than the reputed dummy.
So what?

Did Revere set out to warn the British? No.

Did Revere ring bells and shoot guns while he was riding through the countryside? No.

Palin got it wrong.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:33 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So what?

Did Revere set out to warn the British? No.

Did Revere ring bells and shoot guns while he was riding through the countryside? No.

Palin got it wrong.
I don't recall her saying that was why he actually set out on his ride.

Two questions for you:

1. Did Paul Revere warn the British?

Answer: YES

2. Did Paul Revere's actions cause bells to be rung or weapons to be fired off?

CHECKMATE!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
You should perhaps study up on your history then. It is very clear that the proximate cause of hostilities breaking out in the Boston area was the attempts by the British to disarm the colonists, both by preventing access to ammunition (powder), and threatening the confiscation of weapons. The Revolution was fought over a number of issues, including British threats to disarm the colonists.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

And with July 4th just around the corner, I am ashamed that so many Americans are so willing to corrupt their history.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I don't recall her saying that was why he actually set out on his ride.

Two questions for you:

1. Did Paul Revere warn the British?

2. Did Paul Revere's actions cause bells to be rung or weapons to be fired off?

Right!
Quote:
Experts back Sarah Palin’s historical account

Boston University history professor Brendan McConville said, “Basically when Paul Revere was stopped by the British, he did say to them, ‘Look, there is a mobilization going on that you’ll be confronting,’ and the British are aware as they’re marching down the countryside, they hear church bells ringing — she was right about that — and warning shots being fired. That’s accurate.â€
Experts back Sarah Palin’s historical account - BostonHerald.com (http://news.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/2011_0606you_betcha_she_was_right_experts_back_pal ins_historical_account/srvc=home&position=0 - broken link)

Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
I don't understand. Why isn't 'warning the British' treason? Would it not have been better for Revere to keep his mouth shut, and let the British walk into a trap? "Hey, we know you are coming! So you better form up and load your weapons!"

Old 06-08-2011, 12:37 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Wow, some idiots are still trying to defend Palin? That is funny! I can't wait for the Bachmann - Palin Wars. Will it be a battle to see who can make up the most history?
It must suck that even the leftist are claiming she was correct....

Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It must suck that even the leftist are claiming she was correct....
I know, I heard the biggest lefty of all today, Rush, say Palin was correct. That settles it.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Did you rake obama through the coals for his 57 state comment then?
No, and I'm not raking Palin through the coals, either. I'm defending history. I know this is a big concept for you, but I often defend the historic record on these threads. Both from conservative revisionism and from liberal revisionism. It's a matter of integrity.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:47 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,464 times
Quote:
Did you rake obama through the coals for his 57 state comment then?
Did Obama insist that the US has 57 states the day after he misspoke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies