Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,145,533 times

Advertisements

[quote=cuebald;19522224]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Except they kept them in safe houses and stockpiled them.

It wasn't exactly considered safe to keep lbs of gunpowder next to your family while they cooked, ate, slept, cleaned, learned, played...

The invention of the jacketed bullet changed that.[/quote]
I would imagine that it was inconvenient to leave your farm and visit a safe house every time you needed to ward off an attack by wildlife or another human, or find something for supper. A pound of gunpowder gives me approximately a hundred shots in my muzzleloader. A couple of pounds on hand at home would probably have been the norm.

That was a century later. Actually, not quite, there was some experimentation during the latter days of the Civil War, but primed and jacketed cartridges were not in common use until Reconstruction.
Not wanting to be a smart aleck, but what did the Union troops fire in their repeating rifles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,346,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
So you think it sounds better that she said, "Sent those warning shots"?

That doesn't even make sense...

Please, there is no interpretation of what she said. That's what's really pathetic here. At best she passed a word-association test if someone had just said, "Paul Revere".....

"Ummmmm, riding his horse, warning shot, town, British"...

If that's what we're judging her on? She did a smash-up job I say...
Far better than you'd have ever found from a friend you asked...

Or are you claiming to know that warning shots and bells were used and that Revere said the "regulars" are coming?

No need to answer, the professor from Suffolk said it best when he said that no one even shows up to his gatherings about the revolution.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You mean when she said this:

Just what would Sarah Palin do as vice president? Take 'charge' of the Senate? | Countdown to Crawford | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/presidentbush/2008/10/palin-senate.html - broken link)

A vice president has a really great job because not only are they there to support the president's agenda, they're like the team member, the teammate to that president. But also, they're in charge of the United States Senate, so if they want to, they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom. And it's a great job, and I look forward to having that job.

Fail again for Sarah!
According to the Constitution the VP is the presiding officer of the Senate and can vote to break ties. That makes him kind of both executive and a legislator at least when he votes.

One of FDR's VPs said that the job isn't worth a bucket of spit except that Cactus Jack Gardner spelled spit in a less that PC manner.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 PM

36,926 posts, read 18,798,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Actually, since black powder is quite volatile, large quantities were frequently stored in common powder stores rather than being distributed among the community. This made the British efforts to confiscate powder from the colonists quite effective. Not 100% to be sure, but they did get much of it.
As I said in post #704, gunpowder was quite commonly kept at home. It would have been unusual in that day to not own a flintlock and at least two horns of powder. Depending on the size of the horn, one of them could have stored anywhere from five or six ounces to well over a pound. Smaller horns holding a couple of ounces were carried while hunting.

Powder kept in common magazines was there in case it became necessary to arm a militia on short notice. If the British had cleaned every magazine to the walls, there would still have been gracious plenty available in the community to offer a lot of resistance to any military action.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
...implying the same.

Nowhere did she say he fired anything or rang any bells. Do you think he would be riding through town firing shots at his people? Do you think he'd be ringing bells that were attached to churches on his horse?

No, your interpretation of what Palin said is what is wrong even though I don't think you'd do so on purpose.
They have all been twisting and spinning things in a very progressive manner so most of them are just taking their words from their leaders.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,346,465 times
Quote:
Nice edit. Here are Sarah's words:

Sarah Palin – “Paul Revere Warned…The British?” - Rick Ungar - The Policy Page - Forbes

He who warned, uh, the British that they weren’t going to be taking away our arms uh by ringing those bells and making sure as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure and we were going to be free and we were going to be armed.

SARAH WAS WRONG! Can't the RWs admit that, even if she can't?
I didn't edit anything. The results are still the same.

She said that Revere "rode through town", "sending"....

She didn't say firing.

She did say ringing but immediately retracted with the word sending.

This should be obvious to you, I know you're not stupid.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:33 PM

38,608 posts, read 26,234,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Well, that wouldn't be the first time.

Why not?

She's correct.

BLOCK:Sarah Palin also was saying there that Paul Revere's message to the British in his warning was: You're not going to take American arms - you know, basically a Second Amendment argument, even though the Second Amendment didn't exist then.

Prof. ALLISON: Yeah. She was making a Second Amendment case. But in fact, the British were going out to Concord to seize colonists' arms, the weapons that the Massachusetts Provincial Congress was stockpiling there.

So, yeah, she is right in that. I mean, she may be pushing it too far to say this is a Second Amendment case. Of course, neither the Second Amendment nor the Constitution was in anyone's mind at the time. But the British objective was to get the arms that were stockpiled in Concord.

BLOCK: So you think basically, on the whole, Sarah Palin got her history right.

Prof. ALLISON: Well, yeah, she did. And remember, she is a politician. She's not an historian. And God help us when historians start acting like politicians, and I suppose when politicians start writing history.

How Accurate Were Palin's Paul Revere Comments? : NPR

Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Nice edit. Here are Sarah's words:

Sarah Palin – “Paul Revere Warned…The British?” - Rick Ungar - The Policy Page - Forbes

He who warned, uh, the British that they weren’t going to be taking away our arms uh by ringing those bells and making sure as he’s riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure and we were going to be free and we were going to be armed.

SARAH WAS WRONG! Can't the RWs admit that, even if she can't?
When will you people accept the fact that Revere was arrested and held until he told the British that the colonists had a force of people ready to fight them? Do you know that the primary chore of those three men, Revere, Prescott, and Dawes was to warn Sam Adams in Concord that the British were coming and that Revere didn't even get to Concord since he was arrested. Maybe Longfellow should have mentioned Prescott and the whole story instead of trying to make Revere more of a hero than he really was.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 PM

36,926 posts, read 18,798,709 times
[quote=roysoldboy;19522439]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

Not wanting to be a smart aleck, but what did the Union troops fire in their repeating rifles?
That was a very early prototype that was only used in one battle, to the best of my recollection. Who was the maker of the repeating rifles you are speaking of?

Update:

Sorry, I was thinking about a different arm. You are speaking of Henrys and Spencers, which were used, but were by no means common on the battlefields. As the War progressed, you began seeing their numbers increase from about 1863 on.

They still were not in common usage until after the Civil War. The most common arms on the battlefields were muzzleloaders. Thanks for keeping me honest.

As an aside, there were rifles found in the refuse after many battles that had been loaded with as many as seven balls. The owner would get excited by the battle around him and forget to fire after he had loaded ot the first time.

Last edited by cuebald; 06-09-2011 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,255,460 times
Quote:
Far better than you'd have ever found from a friend you asked...

Or are you claiming to know that warning shots and bells were used and that Revere said the "regulars" are coming?

No need to answer, the professor from Suffolk said it best when he said that no one even shows up to his gatherings about the revolution.
Well for starters, if posed a similar question I imagine I'd have said something to the effect of, "I enjoyed learning about Paul Revere." rather than attempting to come off as the local tour guide...

But then you probably wouldn't have supposed that since you're trying to paint a convenient picture of myself and my acquaintences in order to defend Mrs. Palin.... No matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies