Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 06:35 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Of course they make more ....
So you are against people who make slightly more money? Very noble of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:53 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
you have added nothing to this thread at all.....your point?
And what exactly have you added? Nada, zero, zilch, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
As usual, your thread is much ado about nothing.
Why am I not surprised?
Why am I not surprised you don't know this is not my thread?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
The Democrats have destroyed our public schools for three-plus decades by placing the job security of teachers (translation--try firing them) over having their competency challenged via annual exams.

They are vehemently opposed to an increase in the number of H1-B visas for foreign-born students, currently at an absurdly low 65,000/year.

HS teachers in this country are reprehensibly not required to have an advanced degree in math or science in order to teach either subject, and it's universally acknowledged that the overwhelming majority of very-well paying jobs ($75K/year) of the future will be in those two fields.

If the Democrats want to blame anybody for the ever increasing gap between the haves and the have-nots in this country, all they need would be an inexhaustible supply of mirrors.

Idiotic battles such as this one between Boeing and the NLRB are yet another blistering indictment regarding the thousands of ways that Democrats kill jobs in this country and cripple the opportunities for the middle class, and especially for minorities in this country, yet the liberal press won't touch them.

Union jobs do not guarantee higher salaries--just ask all those 2,200 Northwest flight attendants who left their union when they merged with Delta last year because their FAs are better paid.

The CEO of Whole Foods Markets gleefully pointed out in a WSJ editorial last year that his non-unionized employees are better paid than the unionized grocery workers here in SoCal, and undoubtedly in many other locales across the country.

Yet the silence from the NYT and other liberal rags is sickening, and downright appalling.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post

It must be maddening to have the government siding with your former union to destroy your jobs. Yet, that is what is occurring with the Machinists’ union (IAM) having filed a charge against Boeing for opening its second 787 assembly line in Charleston, SC, a plant that used to be represented by the same union, and the union-controlled National Labor Relations Board going along with the union—thousands of South Carolinia jobs are at stake.
Well, with the Obama NLRB and their former union trying to destroy their jobs, Boeing’s employees in Charleston are now beginning to fight back.

Boeing’s Charleston Employees Enter the Fight to Save Their Jobs From The Obama NLRB | RedState

I support them against the evil NLRB Good luck to these workers to defend their rights
Fascism did not go away with Mussolini...it is alive and well... BHO...Change...WTF..(win the future)

Old 06-04-2011, 09:37 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
So you are against people who make slightly more money? Very noble of you.
Unfortunately that little bit extra slips through their fingers into the union boss' wallet.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The law says you cannot retaliate for unions using their right to strike in any way.

You cannot threaten them, you cannot move the work away. The company officials by their own words and actions did just this.

This is yet another thread...were uniformed right wingers will argue for their preferred outcomes ....regardless of what the law says......without knowing the facts of the case.

.................. and you would prefer that those jobs be moved out of the US instead. Amazing.

With liberals in the US, who needs enemies? Bill Clinton's NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status has done more to eliminate US factory jobs and the middle class than any two acts in US history. Now Obama is trying to deliver the coup de gras to the middle class.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
.................. and you would prefer that those jobs be moved out of the US instead. Amazing.

With liberals in the US, who needs enemies? Bill Clinton's NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status has done more to eliminate US factory jobs and the middle class than any two acts in US history. Now Obama is trying to deliver the coup de gras to the middle class.
Yes damnit..it's either Union jobs or China.
Cut your nose to spite your face.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 AM

589 posts, read 376,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Fascism did not go away with Mussolini...it is alive and well... BHO...Change...WTF..(win the future)
It's more WTP (Win the Past) Obama wants Sovietic Union model comes back

Old 06-04-2011, 12:40 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Unfortunately that little bit extra slips through their fingers into the union boss' wallet.
I too used to think all unions were no good. In fact, I still think some are.
A short story ....

I have been in my line of work for about 25 years now. The first 15 was with a non union company, the last 10 with a union company. The quantity of the work we do goes up and down with the economy ... which pretty much is the case with all construction related business'. But during an extended downturn in the economy, like we are experiencing right now, our customers demand quality.
Because of that one fact, many of our non union competition has gone the way of the dinosaurs and my company is quite simply covered up. The funny thing is ... when I hired in to this company, I reluctantly signed up with the union. I too had no good feelings towards unions. I had no personal experiences mind you, just word of mouth stories. I also took a small cut in pay when I joined the union, figuring that was the cost of relocation.

As bad as this is to say, my company has flourished in this stagnant economy. And it will continue to do so because quality trumps quantity in these troubling times. Up until about 5 years ago you would have never heard me talk fondly of any union ... simply because I had no actual experiences with them. Now, on the other hand, I can actually speak with experience. I am damn glad I belong to a union right now. Are there poor unions out there? Most defiantly. Are all unions bad? Nope.

For the record, our union scale is at $29/hour right now. There are 8 of us (out of 20) that make well over scale. Me? I earn substantially over scale. My boss and company owners are not required to pay us over scale. They do so in order to keep the quality of work up. They probably did not like it when the economy was up, but it has paid them major dividends while the economy is slumping. (Not sure if they saw that coming or not)

I fail to see how busting up unions will help the economy. In fact I think just the opposite will happen. If I am right, then bust away. If the economy gets worse I will ask for another raise.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
So, let me get this right...

Boeing was going to start a new division of their current plant...

And people are bitching about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies