Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh, now here you are wrong again.. Thats only the budget for the Department of Defense spending and a Continuing Approprations bill.

But you said it was "Only the budget for the Department of Defense".

So how can it fund ALL government agencies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Did I ask you how often the CBO projects budgets? Or did I say the graph does not show when the projections were made for each year so old data could of been used to make that graph "Projection"....although it looks like something a child would draw up on power-point so I doubt its even official.
Actually what you said was that calculating on a static model, vs a dynamic model would only result in a couple of billion dollars off, and now that I've proven this to be false, you want to sit here and as usual, just babble on and on about how you doubt things to be true. Sorry you dont like the evidence that shows you are wrong, but thats not my fault
Quote:
As to the Defaults

No official sources would agree with you definition so its a non-issue.
Except people like the IMF Chief economist
Rogoff: U.S. Has Defaulted Before, May Do So Again

The Wall Street Journal
The Intelligent Investor: Why Bondholders Should Be Worried - WSJ.com

Wiley
The Day the United States Defaulted on Treasury Bills - Zivney - 2005 - Financial Review - Wiley Online Library

If you agree to pay your debt in April/May 1979, and you dont.. ITS A DEFAULT.
Quote:
As to executive control of the budget

Heres the video AGAIN.

In the final seconds he says

"The decision what gets the money and what doesn't gets made by the executive branch with no input from congress"
Thats because Congress has ALREADY passed the budgets.. The Executive Branch gets to decide who gets paid INSIDE OF THE BUDGETS.. Why is this difficult for you? Your own link you provided says you are wrong
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/2/...17B_20_II.html

Deferrals shall be permissible only—
(1) to provide for contingencies;
(2) to achieve savings made possible by or through changes in requirements or greater efficiency of operations; or
(3) as specifically provided by law.

Congress writes laws.
Quote:
Now this is the most important question to me.

Do you think you know more about the budget and government procedure than the Former Director of the Congressional Budget Office and Chief Economic Adviser to McCain?

Your answer will tell me all I need to know.
The video isnt saying what you claim, nor did the links you provide. All you are doing is compounding your errors and making it obviously you cant comprehend the basic links that you are even providing..

Last edited by pghquest; 06-04-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
But you said it was "Only the budget for the Department of Defense".

So how can it fund ALL government agencies?
1) No I didnt, I said "and a Continuing Approprations bill."

2) There are 12 different budgets passed yearly, this did not fund ALL government agencies for the year.

Continuing appropration bills are not full budget bills, they are short term bills used to continue the government for a short period of time.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Can we get a poll on what

"The decision what gets the money and what doesn't gets made by the executive branch with no input from congress"

Staying within a budget congress had made prior...would constitute input.

To me it means the executive branch can use all the money of the US income to pay whichever department it sees fit and congress has no say in the process.

To you it means

He still has to follow what congress says...

If congress has no input...why would the president be beholden to the budget they have set?

Normally I would of stopped arguing after providing irrefutable proof but your skills for dissembling and tying yourself in knots is quite amusing and will help me in future debates.

So by all means continue.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Can we get a poll on what

Staying within a budget congress had made prior...would constitute input.

To me it means the executive branch can use all the money of the US income to pay whichever department it sees fit and congress has no say in the process.

To you it means

He still has to follow what congress says...

If congress has no input...why would the president be beholden to the budget they have set?

Normally I would of stopped arguing after providing irrefutable proof but your skills for dissembling and tying yourself in knots is quite amusing and will help me in future debates.

So by all means continue.
Again, your own link says YOU ARE WRONG..

(2) to achieve savings made possible by or through changes in requirements or greater efficiency of operations; or

CONGRESS WRITES LAWS..

Old 06-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
1) No I didnt, I said "and a Continuing Approprations bill."

2) There are 12 different budgets passed yearly, this did not fund ALL government agencies for the year.

Continuing appropration bills are not full budget bills, they are short term bills used to continue the government for a short period of time.

budg·et

/ˈbʌdʒɪt/ Show Spelled
1. an estimate, often itemized, of expected income and expense for a given period in the future.

2. a plan of operations based on such an estimate.

3. an itemized allotment of funds, time, etc., for a given period.

Would a "continuing resolution" not be a budget since it funds ALL government agencies for the remainder of the fiscal year?

Make sure you read part 1. real closely before answering.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Again, your own link says YOU ARE WRONG..

CONGRESS WRITES LAWS..

So you admit your wrong about the video since you moved on to the law?

What do you think a DEBT CRISIS caused by a default is?

here is a definition of contingency to help you...I know its a big word.

a : an event (as an emergency) that may but is not certain to occur

Old 06-04-2011, 10:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
ROFL..we are so far in the hole that we'll be defaulting on the interest we owe first

Old 06-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
So you admit your wrong about the video since you moved on to the law?
I was ALWAYS on the law.. My very first response to you was asking what LAW you were referring to when you said the Constitution grants the president authority to do whatever the hell he wants..
Quote:

What do you think a DEBT CRISIS caused by a default is?

here is a definition of contingency to help you...I know its a big word.

a : an event (as an emergency) that may but is not certain to occur
Why are you having such a difficult time staying focused. You lniked to a law, that SPECIFICALLY says, that the Executive Branch has to follow LAW. The Contingency plan must ALSO comply with LAW..
Quote:
budg·et

/ˈbʌdʒɪt/ Show Spelled
1. an estimate, often itemized, of expected income and expense for a given period in the future.

2. a plan of operations based on such an estimate.

3. an itemized allotment of funds, time, etc., for a given period.

Would a "continuing resolution" not be a budget since it funds ALL government agencies for the remainder of the fiscal year?

Make sure you read part 1. real closely before answering.
BZZ wrong definition. The correct one you should be looking up is "federal budgets", and federal budgets by definition are YEARLY
What is federal budget? definition and meaning

Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I was ALWAYS on the law.. My very first response to you was asking what LAW you were referring to when you said the Constitution grants the president authority to do whatever the hell he wants..

Why are you having such a difficult time staying focused. You lniked to a law, that SPECIFICALLY says, that the Executive Branch has to follow LAW. The Contingency plan must ALSO comply with LAW..

BZZ wrong definition. The correct one you should be looking up is "federal budgets", and federal budgets by definition are YEARLY
What is federal budget? definition and meaning

But the law says the budget is deferred during contingencies...unforeseen emergencies.

So its clearly written in the law already...case closed.

As to the video...do you deny that the former Budget Director said that congress has no input on where money is allocated in the case of a default?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies