Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Detroit is dying period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not really.

But it sounds good though (to you). Mostly because your comment is a manifestation of your wishes.
Head in the sand?

Not dying? How do you describe it? Let me guess - it's just a temporary lull in people's desire to move to, stay in or reproduce in Detroit, but it'll come roaring back next year, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:26 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
2.8 Miles for me.

Oh, and that's a round trip.

On the days that I go into the office, instead of working from home.

I probably have a smaller "carbon footprint" than most of the people here who claim to be champions for the environment. I like a clean environment, too. I just don't feel the need to crow about it and tell everyone else they're screwing up, just to make myself feel good and fool myself into believing that I'm "doing something about it."
I live in the burbs. i am 20 miles from Downtown Dallas.

i commute about 30 feet from my bedroom to my office.... if you count making coffee, add another 60 feet (round trip to the kitchen to make coffee)....

grocery store, less than a quarter mile. kids schools less than 1 mile. mall, costco, 50 resturants, kids sports all less than 3 miles.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
80238. Average house is probably around a half mil. Condos and some townhouses can be found in the low $300s. Not that different from Denver's further out 'burbs.
LOL. I'm there fairly often. We have an office over off of E 48th not far from the UPS shipping center. I usually stay off of Quebec St. at the Double Tree.

I'm sorry, but I kind of consider that the suburbs of Denver; the inner suburbs, but definitely not the city.

When I stay there, I usually drive into the "city" around the general area of Larimer St. for dinner or to kill time. The worst part is going back past the Purina plant back to the hotel and having that smell linger in the car.

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 03-09-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Wonderful stereotypes!
No, those aren't stereotypes. Those are relatively accurate depictions of the kinds of things you'd find in either the city or country.

I suppose you could call them stereotypes, but they'd be based in fact and therefore there's nothing negative about them.

Personally, I think you misread his post, or the context of it in the larger discussion, but I'm not here to make assumptions - I respond to what people write, not what I think they meant to write.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
LOL. I'm there fairly often. We have an office over off of E 48th not far from the UPS shipping center. I usually stay off of Quebec St. at the Double Tree.

I'm sorry, but I kind of consider that the suburbs of Denver; the inner suburbs, but definitely not the city.

When I stay there, I usually drive into the "city" around the general area of Larimer St. for dinner or to kill time. The worst part is going back past the Purina plant back to the hotel and having that smell linger in the car.
It's suburban... but denser, and near what we like in the city.

My dog licks her chops when we drive by there lol!

Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I live in the burbs. i am 20 miles from Downtown Dallas.
We're soon to be neighbors. We're moving at the end of August. Probably landing somewhere around Garland or Mesquite, or possibly Forney or thereabouts. When we're ready to buy, we'll be looking in or near Lindale/Quitman. Beautiful country out there.

Quote:
i commute about 30 feet from my bedroom to my office.... if you count making coffee, add another 60 feet (round trip to the kitchen to make coffee)....
We started working exclusively out of the house, but we outgrew the spare bedroom after a few years and needed a proper office. When it's slow, like today, and there's no meetings or other things we have to go in for, we can and do work from home. It's nice to be able to do it sometimes, but I actually prefer working at the office.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
My dog licks her chops when we drive by there lol!
In your neighborhood, I've never once noticed that smell, but the plant isn't all that far. Any idea of that smell just dissipates real fast or do the winds just not blow in your direction?

Old 03-09-2015, 03:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
for a guy from detroit who lives in AZ you sure know a lot about all the cities in Texas. LOL.
I'm not from Detroit. I'm from Phoenix.
Quote:
They'll look like how a very large portion of Las Vegas looks today.

Not sure what you're asking. Do you think houses disintegrate after 30 years or something?

If you want to see how a "master planned community" can grow long term, look at Irvine, CA.
Irvine itself is a large city in a county that's no longer just a collection of L.A. suburbs. Orange County is it's own metro area.

Not to mention sky high property values in a desirable part of the country not far from the beach.

You can't compare that to Atlanta or Houston suburbs.
Quote:
Head in the sand?

Not dying? How do you describe it? Let me guess - it's just a temporary lull in people's desire to move to, stay in or reproduce in Detroit, but it'll come roaring back next year, right?
Detroit is in far better shape than it was a decade ago, and they're finally out of bankruptcy. I doubt it if anyone thinks the city will be what it was 50 years ago anytime soon. But it isn't dying. That's just a fact.

You can post all the graphs about population loss that you want. So what.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:00 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It's not sustainable. Look what it has caused.
It's wonderful. I love suburbia and have lots of liberal neighbors of all races and ethnic groups. Suburbia is what makes America great.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:02 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Which demonstrates how little "public transportation" has to do with "sprawl". Face it, not everyone likes to live crammed in like a bunch of sardines in some concrete jungle. I'm no fan of suburbia, but it beats the h*ll out of some cramped high-rise apartment.
I would never give up my space and view for anything in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies