Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:43 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times

Advertisements

This guy is apparently trying to get a nationwide ban on circumsision also.

San Diego Man Working for a Nationwide Ban on Circumcision - San Diego 6 (http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/San-Diego-Man-Working-for-a-Nationwide-Ban-on/yH7yVDiPAE2HHpOheVDXIQ.cspx - broken link)

And the Jewish people are understandably not happy about it. Nor are the Muslims. Hey, at least they now have a common enemy. That part can't be bad!

Battle over circumcision shaping up in California | The Jewish Review

"The Jewish community responded immediately and loudly to the San Francisco ballot initiative, with denunciations from across the nation. The American Jewish Committee called it a “direct assault on Jewish religious practice” that was “unprecedented in American Jewish life.” The Orthodox Union said the measure is “likely illegal” and is “patently discriminatory against Jews and Muslims.”

"The newly formed committee, which also includes Muslim and Christian leaders, is still organizing its legal strategy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
This guy is apparently trying to get a nationwide ban on circumsision also.

San Diego Man Working for a Nationwide Ban on Circumcision - San Diego 6 (http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/San-Diego-Man-Working-for-a-Nationwide-Ban-on/yH7yVDiPAE2HHpOheVDXIQ.cspx - broken link)

And the Jewish people are understandably not happy about it. Nor are the Muslims. Hey, at least they now have a common enemy. That part can't be bad!

"The Jewish community responded immediately and loudly to the San Francisco ballot initiative, with denunciations from across the nation. The American Jewish Committee called it a “direct assault on Jewish religious practice” that was “unprecedented in American Jewish life.” The Orthodox Union said the measure is “likely illegal” and is “patently discriminatory against Jews and Muslims.”

"The newly formed committee, which also includes Muslim and Christian leaders, is still organizing its legal strategy."
Many people preform religious female circumcisions. Is the US ban of female circumcision an illegal violation of religious rights?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:54 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I believe people have certain unalienable rights. One of the most fundamentally important of these rights is the right to have control over one's own body - especially its physical intactness.

I can't understand for the life of me why anyone believes it's a parent's "right" to cut off perfectly functional and healthy parts of their children's bodies - be it for an aesthetic reason or because they believe doing so will favor curry with some deity. If someone, even a parent, is hellbent on violating the fundamental rights of a small boy, then I think it's our duty as a society (via our government) to protect that man's rights. I fully support this mens' rights initiative.
I don't think it's right for any state to interfere with religious customs of Jews, however. All others- why are they following Jewish custom?

As for the rest, I agree with your post. 78% of this nation is Christian and isn't obliged to uphold Judaic traditions. We've been led to believe this is medical necessity for over a century but that camp has thinned out considerably. Truthfully I don't feel qualified to make a decision either way because I'm not male and wouldn't have to live with the consequence. I prefer males make this decision and would 100% support what's in their best interest. Let's start by pointing out that nature put it there for a reason, and the rest is about what exactly? Cosmetic? Avoidance of sloppy hygiene? Clueless here. It appears to me cruel & unnecessary.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Many people preform religious female circumcisions. Is the US ban of female circumcision an illegal violation of religious rights?

"That is a false and dangerous analogy, Porth says."

“Female genital mutilation is illegal because it is a cruel practice, medically harmful and performed for the explicit purpose of preventing female sexual satisfaction,” she said. “In contrast, there’s no credible medical evidence that male circumcision is harmful or that it prevents sexual satisfaction. Its purpose is for health reasons and religious belief.”

Old 06-04-2011, 01:07 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I don't think it's right for any state to interfere with religious customs of Jews, however. All others- why are they following Jewish custom?
Well, infant circumcision became routine in the US in the mid 1800s. Prior to 1840, you would have been very hard pressed to find a circumcised male anywhere in the United States. Routine circumcision in the US came out of the Christian purity movement of the Second Great Awakening. The Christian leaders of the day (and the doctors they "informed") began recommending it to prevent what they called "mastubatory insanity". It was also the "medical" recommendation that any intact male child caught masturbating be circumcised pretty much then and there.

It became a tradition, and once ingrained, traditions are hard to break. The US just recently (in the past 5 years) fell below 50% for circumcising newborn males (although it's always been below 50% in the West - circumcising male babies has mostly been an East coast thing). Part of the recent drop has been that in many states Medicare has stopped paying for it.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
First of all, the word 'blonde' is correct only when referring to females. 'Captain Foreskin' would be a 'Blond'. So, in addition to being one big MENTAL WARD, San Francisco apparently is a place where illiterates are allowed to write headlines.

And I would add that some of the blondest people remaining in the World are Jewish.

Maybe this comic book is someone's attempt to drive a wedge between Jews and Whites (someone really, really dumb, who doesn't realize that Jews, in general, are Whites....hmmmm....maybe the sort of person who sometimes has trouble spelling 'Jews', and ends up waving a sign advocating death to a beverage).

So anyway, this person maybe thinks Jews typically look like Murnau's Nosferatu, and that a square-jawed Blond would be the opposite of Jewishness (this person obviously hasn't seen the yummy photos of Scott Caan), and so Captain Foreskin would, in his mind, be the perfect antagonist/menace to create outrage in Jewish circles and ignite the Race War of his schizophrenic dreams.

Or maybe the Captain Foreskin campaign is a variant of those fake Hate Crimes so fashionable these days. Some deranged (like there's any other kind of person in San Francisco) and emotionally needy Circumcision Enthusiast...or an underemployed Mohel, maybe thinks he can drum up business by creating a backlash against a fictional enemy.

But one thing's for sure. When you try to untangle arguments between crazy people (which, almost by definition, would include any warring factions in San Francisco...except, I suppose, if one of the factions were imaginary...in which case, I guess the war would be between a deranged mind and a product of that same deranged mind), the only thing you can hope to accomplish is driving yourself crazy. Nu?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 06-04-2011 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: and

Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
You (especially Gloria) do realize San Francisco has a decent-sized Jewish community, right? So before you think all San Franciscans would support this law, please do remember that... I'm a Jewish San Franciscan myself, and wouldn't vote for it. Good thing is, this probably won't even make it that far - as they've been trying to get the ban passed for years, along with some other "outlandish" ideas along the way. Yes, we are sometimes a wacky bunch, but the majority of us do have a brain. Not to mention, lots of us have religious/cultural beliefs too!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Most people wouldn't go for a BAN even if they don't personally think it's necessary. Of course, some people won't be happy until everything they disagree with is BANNED but that's highly unlikely.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:36 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Most people wouldn't go for a BAN even if they don't personally think it's necessary. Of course, some people won't be happy until everything they disagree with is BANNED but that's highly unlikely.
Yeah, and despite popular belief, San Franciscans generally don't vote to BAN things... Californians are another story, but the city of SF is usually one that overwhelmingly supports personal freedoms. Just look at citywide numbers for the votes on legalizing marijuana & gay marriage! The tightwads in central/east California kept those issues from passing, but San Francisco (and some other cities) said yes to both.

Sometimes I wish we could secede, but not into the commonly suggested north vs south - it should really be coastal vs inland California, IMO.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-04-2011 at 01:44 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 01:41 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
But one thing's for sure. When you try to untangle arguments between crazy people (which, almost by definition, would include any warring factions in San Francisco...except, I suppose, if one of the factions were imaginary...in which case, I guess the war would be between a deranged mind and a product of that same deranged mind), the only thing you can hope to accomplish is driving yourself crazy. Nu?
Sorry, I've got to side with Gizmo on this one. Never resided in san fran proper but traveled there often and warring factions aren't something pedestrian. If America were judged by it's headlines alone they'd be convinced of everything you posted about san fran, even about oregon. Nowhere on the planet will you find a shortage of village idiots. In metro areas, many of them are imported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies