Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of women wearing pants in the workplace?
I approve 36 87.80%
I disapprove 3 7.32%
Not sure 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:39 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
A man card is the connotative term for masculinity.

I assume this guy is into women because 90% of men are into women. I will take that 10% chance that I'll be wrong.

If by fraternity mentality, you mean "will act like a male for the rest of your life," the answer is yes.

I don't think you need to tell me whats professional or unprofessional because men acting like women is unprofessional and weird. Hopefully if you're open-minded enough to accept men in dresses, you're open minded enough to at least my right to my opinions and views.
Unless the man's job happens to be, oh say, as an actor in the show La Cage au Folle?

YouTube - ‪Tony Awards

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 06-05-2011 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm pretty sure they were upset when women began to wear pants in the workplace years ago. I'm just wondering if it still bothers them.
No, because it's become another feminine clothing item. This was not so much the case 50 years ago.

Few women in most workplaces wear mens' pants; conversely, very few serious men wear womens' pants.

I disagree with crossdressing (e.g. a man wearing a dress in an American context), but this plainly is not an example of crossdressing. I still do appreciate when women wear skirts, though - I think they look better that way, but that's just a personal opinion.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:42 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
All of this is besides the point. All that counts is what is the employers' dress code or his/her preference on why the employees wear on the job. Some women still wear skirts for religious reasons. Our local Walmart employs a guy who dresses as a woman and works in the jewelry counter. Only problem Walmart had was when he went into the women's restroom. He's in the process of a sex chang but he's not that far yet.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
I am a social conservative, but I am also a guy - so it depends on what the pants look like on the lady as to whether I like it or not. I like women wearing pants, particularly the tight jeans/pants on casual Friday which often don't leave much to the imagination as a dress might.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
I've never ever even thought about it.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
The only thing that bothers me is the amount of stupidity I see on city-data political threads.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Who cares, my wife wears the pants anyway! Some of the younger members are scratching their heads trying to figure out that one.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
My grandparents were telling me a few weeks ago, that it was illegal in my town up until 40 or 45 years ago for women to wear pants out in the public. It was also illegal for men to have their hair longer than the tip of their ears and for them to walk around no shirt. In schools, everyone had to wear a jacket everyday, regardless if it was hot, they also had to have their shirts tucked in. Girls had to have their hair fixed up in some way, they couldn't just leave it straight down. Boys had to have their hair short and combed to the side and wear a shirt with a stiff collar. When it was cold, girls had to wear pants and put a skirt or dress on top of the pants. If school children failed to obey the rules, they were punished severely and sent home to change. These "rules" were at its peak in the 1950s up to the mid 1960s.
Just incredible. Thank you for sharing that information.

When people say that America is a really conservative country, I think of situations from the past as you've described, and how much we really have changed.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:32 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't know of any woman who finds radical male feminists attractive.
I'm not sure if I've met one. Does he leave the toilet seat down, or is it as simple as not looking for mommy the 2nd (13th grade) to marry?

Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Actually, I'm not the one who originally made that claim. It's conservative organizations like Conservapedia and Tradition in Action.

Society Becomes Corrupted When Women Wear Masculine Clothes
Many "traditionalist" (as opposed to "conservative"; there's an important distinction) Catholics frown upon women wearing pants, mostly because they still believe that they are men's apparel. Another source I've read claims that pants on women are designed to focus mens' attention on the womens' private parts, and hence cause them to lust, but I haven't found this really to be the case (though many pants-makers do put an emphasis on the derriere). One even stated in no uncertain terms that a woman wearing modest pants vs. a woman wearing an immodest mini-skirt is like fornication vs. sodomy; one goes against modesty, the other against nature. I tend to take a gentle stance (relative to other orthodox Catholics) and do not see anything wrong with a woman wearing modest pants; however, again, it's simply a matter of taste that I like when women (most womenn) wear dresses and skirts better.

The article you linked to on Tradition in Action is one of many traditionalist (sometimes called "integrist") websites. Often they quote an obscure 1960 letter from Cardinal Siri, as that one does. I feel that in the context of the letter (1960, Italy) pants on women were revolutionary and were not that well-differentiated in the minds of people from men's trousers. And they aren't stupid...actually, they're very intellectual, more intellectual than most posters on here if you read the article closely. Nevertheless, I disagree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies