Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:11 AM

589 posts, read 375,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For California’s high-speed rail boosters including their chief cheerleader, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, the month of May must have felt like a month from hell. First came a scathing report by California legislature’s fiscal watchdog, the non-partisan Legislative Analyst’s Office (LAO), questioning the rail authority’s unrealistic cost estimates and its decision to build the first $5.5 billion segment in the sparsely populated Central Valley between Borden and Corcoran. That segment, the LAO noted, has no chance of operating without a huge public subsidy, yet the terms of the voter-approved Proposition 1A, explicitly prohibit any operating subsidies.

These concerns were echoed by an eight-member Independent Peer Review Group. "We believe the Authority is increasingly aware of the challenge of accurate cost estimating," wrote its chairman Will Kempton in a letter to the California High-Speed Rail Authority’s CEO, Roelef van Ark. The Legislative Analyst‘s Office had concluded that if the cost of building the entire Phase I system were to grow as much as the revised HSRA estimate for the Central Valley segment (an increase of 57%), the Phase I system would end up costing not $43 billion as originally estimated, but $67 billion.

Fwd: California's Bullet Train --- On the Road to Bankruptcy | Newgeography.com
Thanks to Yahoo, I didn't know this site.It's a real waste of money, poor Californian taxpayers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 02:24 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,602,317 times
I'm convinced that NewGeography is a right-wing outfit. It's run by Joel Kotkin and Wendell Cox. They have a long history of praising suburban areas and Republicans while bashing inner cities, Democrats, and liberals. It's all a bit much. I wish I could take them more seriously because I love reading about urban planning and urban affairs, but when there's such obvious bias, it really devalues whatever message they're trying to communicate.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 06-05-2011 at 02:36 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,384,917 times
Right now...the entire state of California is on a bullet train to bankruptcy.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm convinced that NewGeography is a right-wing outfit. It's run by Joel Kotkin and Wendell Cox. They have a long history of praising suburban areas and Republicans while bashing inner cities, Democrats, and liberals. It's all a bit much. I wish I could take them more seriously because I love reading about urban planning and urban affairs, but when there's such obvious bias, it really devalues whatever message they're trying to communicate.
Honestly this article is detailed and complete, it's pretty realistic.And it's not the first article I read about poor planning on the California Bullet Train..

Old 06-05-2011, 03:17 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Honestly this article is detailed and complete, it's pretty realistic.And it's not the first article I read about poor planning on the California Bullet Train..
Yes, I realize that there have been other stories that are critical of the train, but since you said you hadn't heard of NewGeography before, I just thought I'd point out that they seem to ALWAYS be against anything that serves people who live in cities. If they weren't so obviously pushing a particular viewpoint, I'd take them more seriously.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,863,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
California's Bullet Train --- On the Road to Bankruptcy ?
Shouldn't that be "on the rails to bankruptcy"?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, I realize that there have been other stories that are critical of the train, but since you said you hadn't heard of NewGeography before, I just thought I'd point out that they seem to ALWAYS be against anything that serves people who live in cities. If they weren't so obviously pushing a particular viewpoint, I'd take them more seriously.
I understand your point of view.The problem in California isn't really the High-Speed Rail, it's the poor planning, it's the state's fault, it's not hard to believe I think, according to Pew Center it's one of the worst-managed state.
I like the concept of a bullet train San Diego-San Francisco, it's a good thing, but the additional costs are unacceptable.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,323,459 times
Quote:

We know....what you thought you'd do is try to deflect the fact that yet another liberal concept is a disaster by shooting the messenger.

Obozo wants to expand this concept nation wide.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,642,821 times
Quote:
I'm convinced that NewGeography is a right-wing outfit. It's run by Joel Kotkin and Wendell Cox. They have a long history of praising suburban areas and Republicans while bashing inner cities, Democrats, and liberals.
are you saying that Ray Lahood is competent? it looks to me like newgeography is painting them with the correct brush.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:24 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,393,947 times
Couple years and i'm out of here, just wish i could take my bit of paradise with me, my home on the beach, love it. People vote the same crackpots in office, and expect change, never going to happen, with the same crackpots in office, who are clearly the problem.

Change the friggin laws so that people want to start businesses, out here. 67 Billion, is a awful lot of money we can't afford. California has bankrupted itself. We have a jerk back in office in Brown, Californians deserve what we get, for voting idiots back in office.
Don't want to move to a State that has so many killer storms, we do have the best weather. Maybe a State with no income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies