Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Are you suggesting that Hampton go out into the suburbs and kidnap white high school graduates and force them to enroll at Hampton?

Perhaps you can point to a white college that did the same to increase their minority enrollment.

If you can't answer those questions honestly, one can only at the conclusion that you are nothing but a troll.

If diversity is so important why don;t they recriut white students?

White college? Where are they? Point those out.

I can point out colleges that admit less qualified minority students while rejecting better qualified white students to achieve diversity.

Dumbing down the U.S. Navy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Apparently diversity is important. If it is why are there black colleges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Nobody has complained about the fact that some White people may want to go to school with other White people. The issue has been the fact that for quite some time there were colleges and universties in this country that refused to admit Black Americans or discriminated against them.

If you want to go to a college that is 80% to 95% White I'm sure there are some out there the meet your criteria.

So what's your complaint?
Nobody- really? I think you know that's such a lie I find it hard to beleive you actually posted it. Point out the post where I complained. I asked a question. So far nobody has answered it.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:18 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If diversity is so important why don;t they recriut white students?

White college? Where are they? Point those out.

I can point out colleges that admit less qualified minority students while rejecting better qualified white students to achieve diversity.

Dumbing down the U.S. Navy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Sorry Rick foiled again, HBCUs go after white students, white athletes so on and so forth. Did you not think there were white kids on the campuses of Howard, Grambling, Southern and so on. Give me a break. White colleges is any college that is not an HBCU, so every college in Iowa, Indiana, Ohio outside of wilberforce and Central State, Michigan and so on and so on. While u are at it, look at the demographics of an HBCU vs. a Predominantly white college/university and you will see that HBCUs are actually more diverse.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Sorry Rick foiled again, HBCUs go after white students, white athletes so on and so forth. Did you not think there were white kids on the campuses of Howard, Grambling, Southern and so on. Give me a break. White colleges is any college that is not an HBCU, so every college in Iowa, Indiana, Ohio outside of wilberforce and Central State, Michigan and so on and so on. While u are at it, look at the demographics of an HBCU vs. a Predominantly white college/university and you will see that HBCUs are actually more diverse.

The U.S.population is 80% white. Would it not stand to reason that the student body at most universities would be mostly white?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Question Care to share your little secret?

Quote:
Is it OK if some whites kinda like going to school with other whites?
That's been the pattern for centuries.

Quote:
Of course not because that would be racist.
It would be racist if the colleges excluded a particular group from their admissions.

Quote:
They need diversity don't they?
Colleges tend to be diverse, since the 60s/70s when they were required to have more open admissions policies. Enroll in a university and see for yourself. Maybe some diversity would help to mellow your anger.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
The U.S.population is 80% white. Would it not stand to reason that the student body at most universities would be mostly white?

So what's your complaint? If you want to go to a college or university that is predmoninently White then knock yourself out.

And actually the U.S population is only about 65% non-Hispanic White.

Resident Populaiton By Sex, Race and Hispanic Origin 2000 to 2009

Old 06-05-2011, 12:31 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,334 times
Default It Sound Like It Be A Bloke All Shook Up Bout Dem "Good White Folks" Thang ! ... What !

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
What the hell was that? Old Sgt. needs a college or a university. Sounds like old sarge wants to go back to the old cliche' white is right mentality folks.
msamhunter !!! ... Interesting !

Thanks a whole bunch "Cabbage" ... Plenty of good ole book lurnin on this end, with all dem pretty papers full of important writtin jest ah hangin on tha walls !!!

Oh behave ... tell us more about this "White Is Right Mentality" thang you be ah blabbering about ! Me good brothers would bloody well love to hear about it !

Sound a bit interestin thar mate !

Cheerio / Thanks A Bunch / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 PM

149 posts, read 270,427 times
Quote:
It looks like there are about maybe 1% non-black students in those pictures. If diversity is so important why are there 99% black students at that school when blacks represent roughly 13% of the U.S. population?
The college a person attends is their personal choice. So if 99% of the students are black and the other 1% isn't is justified by the choices those students made. Everyone is free to apply and attend there and any other college whether it be an HBCU or not. The admissions cannot force students who do not apply to attend the school to satisfy people like you who are bothered by the enrollment.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Rick, I understand what you're getting at, but as a white male, why would I want to go to a college that is 95% black, when I can choose one close to me that has an equal mix of white, hispanic, black, asian, ect... I would feel seriously out of place there. There has to be a reason for an individual to choose a particular school.

A person could ask, why in the world would a black person choose a college in Oregon like Oregon or Oregon State. After all, both cities that house those universities are almost 100% white. Did a sports scholorship influence their decision to attend? Most likely.

Point being, students choose colleges based upon what the college can provide for THEM. They should want the best opportunity in a variety of areas, whether it be academic, physical, or cultural.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Frankly I don't care who goes to any school. Unfortunately not everyone has that attitude. Most liberals place a huge importance on diversity. Why is diversity so important? Obviously the students attending these mostly black schools don't think it's very important. Are they getting a lower level education because of a lack of diversity?
Here's a little history lesson for you...

PBS - From Swastika to Jim Crow - Historically Black Colleges and Universities

YouTube - ‪Negro Colleges in War Time - WW II - Historically Black Colleges - World War Two Homefront‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies