Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:27 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Without McDonald's
What the heck is going on?

McDonald's Hired More than All of the Rest of the Economy Combined - Business
The only thing keeping America from nationwide job losses last month were the Golden Arches. Contrary to popular belief, McDonald's April hiring binge wasn't counted in the government;s April employment report. Those 62,000 McJobs "created" in the one day HR/publicity stunt are the only reason that America didn't flat out lose jobs according to May's report.

The United States is fairly honest when reporting its unemployed compared to many other countries. Noticing your handle reminded me of this...

Australia atm is hiding 50% of its unemployed in the massive 800,000+ on dissabilty benefit for example (about 500,000 more than you would expect for its small population). Aus is claiming a 4.9% unemployment rate when its really around 9.5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The fact is that our net jobs number IS probably in the negative. The numbers reported by the media have only reflected the private sector gaining jobs. The public sector is declining at a rapid rate. So overall we are in the negative still.

We need another stimulus so our state governments do not have to shed jobs at this alarming rate.
Actually if you read the press release you'd know the 54,000 number covers all jobs including governmnet jobs.

The Employment Situation May 2011

Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
The United States is fairly honest when reporting its unemployed compared to many other countries. Noticing your handle reminded me of this...

Australia atm is hiding 50% of its unemployed in the massive 800,000+ on dissabilty benefit for example (about 500,000 more than you would expect for its small population). Aus is claiming a 4.9% unemployment rate when its really around 9.5%.
But overall the Aussie economy has been much stronger than the American ecnomy for the past three years. The Australian economy is one of the winners in the world-wide commodity boom. In fact they are planning to start having government surpluses somewhere between 2012 and 2014.

Australian Federal Budget 2011-2012

Quote:
The Budget will get back to surplus in 2012-13 as planned, get more people into jobs and spread the opportunities from Mining Boom Mark II to more Australians.

Key elements include:
Taking the tough decisions necessary to ensure the budget returns to surplus in 2012-13, despite the impact of recent natural disasters.
Continuing to invest in the economy’s productive capacity through better and more targeted skills and training, and new measures to boost participation and improve private sector opportunities to invest in infrastructure.
Putting the opportunities that flow from a stronger economy within the reach of more Australians, by delivering on key reforms to mental health, extra support for families with teenagers and low income earners and investing in critical regional health and education infrastructure.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:47 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:

Australia atm is hiding 50% of its unemployed in the massive 800,000+ on disability benefit for example (about 500,000 more than you would expect for its small population). Aus is claiming a 4.9% unemployment rate when its really around 9.5%.

We do that too.

America crawls with lazy a$ses on the dole.

Just tune into any television station in America at about 2 PM local time (when lazy a$ses wake up) and you'll see all the commercials for personal injury/disability lawyers.

I wish I had a nickle for every credit application I've processed for someone who takes home $5k/month and has no job.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Without McDonald's
What the heck is going on?

McDonald's Hired More than All of the Rest of the Economy Combined - Business
The only thing keeping America from nationwide job losses last month were the Golden Arches. Contrary to popular belief, McDonald's April hiring binge wasn't counted in the government;s April employment report. Those 62,000 McJobs "created" in the one day HR/publicity stunt are the only reason that America didn't flat out lose jobs according to May's report.
I always laugh at the "If this hadn't happened, then" scenarios. McDonald's DID hire all those peope. So there was a small net gain in jobs. Maybe next month it will be some other company that goes on a big hiring spree.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I always laugh at the "If this hadn't happened, then" scenarios. McDonald's DID hire all those peope. So there was a small net gain in jobs. Maybe next month it will be some other company that goes on a big hiring spree.
So you laugh at people who can do elementary math? That seems a little odd. I get more humor out of people that continue to things are great because "maybe" next month....

Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That unfortunately is the NEW AMERICAN WAY!

Hire people as cheaply as possible and dump them when they cost too much!

I do agree with you, and yes this happens more often then we know.

He did government work for Northrop. That is all i will say or can say.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
We do that too.

America crawls with lazy a$ses on the dole.

Just tune into any television station in America at about 2 PM local time (when lazy a$ses wake up) and you'll see all the commercials for personal injury/disability lawyers.

I wish I had a nickle for every credit application I've processed for someone who takes home $5k/month and has no job.

I don't believe its to the same extent as per percentage of population. All governments are guilty of fudging the unemployment numbers form time to time, but as far as I can see the US is being fairly honest about it atm.

I think its worth bringing up if Americans are comparing unemployment with other countries.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
That makes no sense, if he was in government and had 30 years in he would be qualified for a nice retirement. Even if in his 50s he could get a good percentage of the maximum with that many years in.
Ask Northrop why they let him go, and they did let him go, and hired someone younger. I do not know him well enough to ask, what he had coming, or if he got a percentage of what he has earned. My Son knows him, and he is pissed off. My Son says that the younger guy that replaced him, is not even as good or on the ball as the older guy.

He may have retirement coming, but this is still an issue with him, he was not ready to retire for a couple of years yet. I do know that this happens very often when guys are in their Fifties.

I do have a question though, don't want to sound stupid to my Son. But if this guy worked for Northrop, how can they fire him, without just cause! Don't they have to have a very good reason for firing him. If he was doing such a good job, how can they fire him, i do not understand this. Just to hire someone younger does not make sense, if the younger guy is not doing a good job as the one they let go.

Last edited by california-jewel; 06-06-2011 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 11:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
I don't believe its to the same extent as per percentage of population. All governments are guilty of fudging the unemployment numbers form time to time, but as far as I can see the US is being fairly honest about it atm.

I think its worth bringing up if Americans are comparing unemployment with other countries.
Our government always manipulates the numbers
Real unemployment rate higher than federal figures - MSN Money - New Investor Center
And then changes the calculating standards when they dont like the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies