Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Forgive him he's a Conservative. They believe that the battle of Lexington and Concord was in New Hampshire and Paul Revere rode to warn the British, and the earth is 6,000 years old.

LMAO! I actually meant Scandinavia is very isolated and surrounded by mountains, fjords etc. not landlocked.......doh! And yes I obviously know what landlocked means i.e. Switzerland. My point still stands.

And I'm really surprised you think I'm a conservative. That's hardly the case. But you are wrong about one thing.......Paul Revere was actually captured and interrogated by the British so Palin was technically correct according to historical scholars. LMAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The difference is that 40% of our population does not contribute, and, in fact, are recipients.

You cannot build a wealthy nation with an entire population sucking off the teat of the producers.

Have any stats to back up that monstrous fallacy? LMAO! You are so full of it? So you're saying close to half the population of the US does not contribute to the greater economic good? LMAO! Wow.....are you serious? how many people are retired? How many people are under the age of being able to work? How many people are on disability? How many people are independently wealthy sucking off the labor of the working class? Having followed your posts you talk out of your rear end half the time buddy!

There are lots of people who suck off the national teet but it's mostly because of extenuating circumstances. Yes there are the typical welfare mom with five kdis, the drug addicts, the lazy, the corrupt government employees blah blah blah.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
People have always found a way to fight others. Idiots ALWAYS find a reason to. The pilgrims, remember, weren't different from those who they ran away from in most aspects but probably just one. No?

You may have an issue with people speaking and using Spanish, more so in Texas (which also happens to be one of the very few states that has chosen not to make English its official language). But that is because you've chosen to have an issue. I can't speak Spanish, but why should I care about those who do? They are free to do so, in my world.

You call the borders issue laughable. Could you prove that by taking upon the task and getting your way into the USA as if it is really a cakewalk? I would LOVE to see that.
sorry for jumping in on your post to another, but i couldn't ignore this.

you have to be kidding, right? it seems that millions have found their way into this country somehow....

americans are being denied jobs now specifically because they cannot speak spanish in the united states. it may be a plus to be bilingual but it certainly shouldn't be an obligation to get work in YOUR OWN COUNTRY.

there is something seriously wrong with the leaders when they won't address the concerns of their OWN citizens.

we keep voting them out, and we keep getting more jerks. i think that they don't understand that there is an underlying current of massive unrest starting in this country. each party thought that their own party would fix things, if just given the chance to have power, and we are ALL finding out otherwise now.

people aren't going to be happy if things don't improve in this country.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Don't forget, that these countries enjoy the military protection of the United States, without having to pay for it. They all spend much less on their military as a % of GDP.

You could add up several of those nations together, and their entire economies would be smaller than the amount the U.S. spends on our military.

List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gates says NATO outlook dim; future president may decide it’s not worth the money - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/americas/us-defense-chief-says-nato-outlook-dim-future-president-may-decide-its-not-worth-the-money/2011/06/10/AGdLAPOH_story.html?hpid=z1 - broken link)

looks like somebody agrees with me.

Quote:
“The blunt reality is that there will be dwindling appetite and patience in the U.S. Congress — and in the American body politic writ large — to expend increasingly precious funds on behalf of nations that are apparently unwilling to devote the necessary resources or make the necessary changes to be serious and capable partners in their own defense,” he said.

Without naming names, he blasted allies who are “willing and eager for American taxpayers to assume the growing security burden left by reductions in European defense budgets.”

Old 06-10-2011, 06:42 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Have any stats to back up that monstrous fallacy? LMAO! You are so full of it? So you're saying close to half the population of the US does not contribute to the greater economic good? LMAO! Wow.....are you serious? how many people are retired? How many people are under the age of being able to work? How many people are on disability? How many people are independently wealthy sucking off the labor of the working class? Having followed your posts you talk out of your rear end half the time buddy!

There are lots of people who suck off the national teet but it's mostly because of extenuating circumstances. Yes there are the typical welfare mom with five kdis, the drug addicts, the lazy, the corrupt government employees blah blah blah.
That's not very nice.

What's more ridiculous than saying that job creators are "sucking off the labor of the working class"?

Who would the "working class" work for, if not someone wealthy?

Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Who would the "working class" work for, if not someone wealthy?
The consumers, of course. Other working class people like themselves. In a sense, the rich boss is nothing but a middle man who has insinuated himself into the process by controlling the wealth.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We're so "diverse and multi-cultured" we're at each others throats 23 hours of the day.
in a nutshell america needs a work-oriented culture as the dominant culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
i hold right-wing views for th most part yet a part of my heart strongly wishes to see income parity but only if our nation deserves it. as of right now, america does not deserve it.
i just want to clarify my quote from earlier. we don't deserve it because of the way we demonize each other. alot of right-wing folks lump together (a) low-income working folks and (b) able-bodied adults who don't work. why lump them together?!? (a) and (b) are two separate and very different groups. i don't respect the latter. i have no beef with the former. and left-wingers subscribe to "groupthink" and the blame game (claiming it's always the fault of the right-wing). they seem to believe groupthink's the only way to change things. they seem to always want change change change. where does it end with them? i guess it stops when they've inverted the power dynamic?

and i should've written "better income parity" instead of "income parity". i don't want to be miscontrued as a person who wants to see full income parity i.e. where a nail salon girl gets the same pay as a ceo. i don't mean that at all. i meant i would like to see the graphs squished to meet more in the middle. i want to see a change in american culture where happiness comes from within/from career, not from net worth/a portfolio. right now, that's where we're at. happiness coming from money. and sadly the kids of america are buying into it.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
able-bodied adults who don't work
It always puzzles me that people think an able body is of any special use in the absence of an interested employer or an interested customer. Is there an inherent dollar value to walking five miles or lifting a hundred pounds? I'm pretty sure if I were to go and do either of those things right now, nobody would even notice, let alone hand me a stack of bills.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
If the OP is right the most of America is "left"

You can go here to these polls regarding immigration and see that the GOP/Tea Party position is the minority position.

Immigration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies