Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

From the OP's link:

“It was not budget-specific except to say that they support funding public education." is what the school superintendent said.

What does a third grader know about funding public school education ?
And the teachers told them "they support it" ?

I also believe it was in bad taste to have the kids write that they will no longer have classes.
How did they know that unless the teacher told them. And the school system supported that propaganda..using kids and telling them stories to take home to their parents.

Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Why can't this lawmaker man up and just say he is cutting education funding?
Why can't the schools "man up" and fight for what they think they need like other people instead of hiding behind and using children to fight their battle? Contrary to the popular leftist belief, the ends do NOT justify the means.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
MULTIPLE VP's are bloat.
Yes I agree. When my son was in HS each grade level had a VP so the school had 1 Principal and 4 Vice Principals and they all had their own secretaries, etc. Yes..bloat.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes I agree. When my son was in HS each grade level had a VP so the school had 1 Principal and 4 Vice Principals and they all had their own secretaries, etc. Yes..bloat.
It's like that in almost every public school here in NJ. Probably IS like that in every public school here.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Bad ones that can't be fired yes. But is it also necessary to have multiple principles, VP's and a long list of highly paid board members?
Our district has some criteria for which schools need assistant principals, and in some small schools, even the principal's job is shared with another school. In the large high schools, there is a principal and a couple of assistant principals. The school board works for free.

Quote:
See above.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
You have to love the logic expressed on this board.

Person A: "Our urban public schools really, really suck."

Person B: "Why is that?"

Person A: "Well, some people seem to think that it's because a lot of the teachers are underpaid and have to buy their class materials or use outdated textbooks that don't prepare the children for the 21st century - never mind for the information age since a lot of the schools are using 10 year-old + dinosaur equipment - but you know what I think? If we "cut the bloat" and slice off even more of these people's funding and continue to shut down schools, overcrowd the remaining schools and not give the already stressed teachers any aid or support whatsoever, I think we might be on to something!"

Person B: "But what if the schools get shut down if they're deemed to not be serving the population well enough?"

Person A: "Then we can bus them to other people's schools and do the exact same thing to them. Soon, we'll have recreated 19th century England all over again and the only people who can expect to go to college are the wealthy people who already make up 80% of the college population."

Person B: "If I didn't know any better, I would say that this sounds similar to the approach that some have to social services."

Person A: "Who said that an education was a right in America? The founding fathers? Ha! Screw 'em."

Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
From the OP's link:

“It was not budget-specific except to say that they support funding public education." is what the school superintendent said.

What does a third grader know about funding public school education ?
And the teachers told them "they support it" ?

I also believe it was in bad taste to have the kids write that they will no longer have classes.
How did they know that unless the teacher told them. And the school system supported that propaganda..using kids and telling them stories to take home to their parents.

Disgusting.

Totally agree. This is why I thought it was disgusting. If they had a problem with what was going on they should have protested themselves and not used the children, especially the child of a law maker as a pawn for their agenda.

I have a 3rd grader, he doesn't know about public school funding. He wouldn't know unless I told him. And even if they were actually doing a letter and being taught about the topic, the teacher should not have let the child write a letter to her own father.

I am neither a liberal or conservative and education is the issue I feel most passionate about in politics. I don't think that either side has some all encompassing plan for taking over education or promoting their own agenda, but I do think this individual teacher should have their job taken away due to this incident. That could save the school district some money so they wouldn't have to let go of teacher's assistants.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Totally agree. This is why I thought it was disgusting. If they had a problem with what was going on they should have protested themselves and not used the children, especially the child of a law maker as a pawn for their agenda.

I have a 3rd grader, he doesn't know about public school funding. He wouldn't know unless I told him. And even if they were actually doing a letter and being taught about the topic, the teacher should not have let the child write a letter to her own father.

I am neither a liberal or conservative and education is the issue I feel most passionate about in politics. I don't think that either side has some all encompassing plan for taking over education or promoting their own agenda, but I do think this individual teacher should have their job taken away due to this incident. That could save the school district some money so they wouldn't have to let go of teacher's assistants.
Good post. But you might want to read up on this a bit.

"The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America," by Charlotte Iserbyt
"America's Schools: The BattleGround for Freedom," by Allen Quist
"Fed Ed: The New Federal Curriculum and How Its Enforced," by Allen Quist

Iserbyt worked in the Reagan Administration and was a WhistleBlower. Her book is filled with documentation; not just opinions.

Quist was a legislator from Minnesota and a University Professor.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:45 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Why can't this lawmaker man up and just say he is cutting education funding?
So you think it is perfectly fine that unionized teachers use the children under their care at school to do their political lobbying? Figures!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Why can't the schools cut the bloat and make sacrifices like everyone else is?
I don't know about other states but NJ has a website with all public workers and their salaries.

You want to see "bloat" on steroids? Check out Newark, NJ's educational machine HQ and their salaries.

Whoa!!

NJ Teacher Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies