Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So renounce your citizenship and go! Buh bye
Why should the OP renounce his citizenship because he bought up valid concerns?? It's this kind of ignorance and foolishness as to why this country is so divided today. While I love the US, it does have some problems. I think it's pretty arrogant of us to be dismissive of ideas from other western nations that have come up with solutions to tackle some social problems.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Why should the OP renounce his citizenship because he bought up valid concerns?? It's this kind of ignorance and foolishness as to why this country is so divided today. While I love the US, it does have some problems. I think it's pretty arrogant of us to be dismissive of ideas from other western nations that have come up with solutions to tackle some social problems.
The poster to whom I responded said he would rather live in Canada. So go already, renounce citizenship if he wishes to leave. Why is that difficult to understand? Just nudging him toward what he has expressed as his wish.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:02 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,307 times
Quote:
Cons:
1) No freedom of speech
2) No right to keep and bear arms

Pro:
1) More economic freedom with lower business taxes and fewer regulations on the employer
Your cons are actually my pros. Less right wing hate on the public airwaves and less guns are good things in my book.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
So renounce your citizenship and go! Buh bye
I'll do that as soon as you renounce yours and move to Russia.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Demographics are, IMO, the primary reason for the difference in the two cultures. Canada never had slavery and it's after-effects or a southern border flooded daily with Hispanic invaders.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Demographics are the primary reason for the difference in the two cultures. Canada never had slavery and it's after-effects or a southern border flooded daily with Hispanic invaders.
So is that your excuse for America been the way it is?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:14 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
They have a better standard of living for their population overall. They have less crime, less racism, less ignorance, less poverty, less political divide, less guns, less pollution... and on top of that they have an excellent public education system (Canada is one of the most educated societies in the world), a universal health care system that covers everyone both rich and poor, and a sound economy.

Canadian cities consistently rank as the cleanest and the most livable in the world with Toronto, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia routinely taking the top spot. If I get the chance to move to Canada I'll do it in a heartbeat. It's a perfect place to live if you ask me. I'll leave America to the teabaggers. I won't wait until they turn us into a Third World Country.
We're already a third world country. If the Teabaggers ever get political power, forget about it. We become privatized America and the price of everything triples. Like it or starve.

I'd say the reason Canada is a better country is simply because you have far fewer people. And the people that do live there are not assaulted with a daily barrage of what a wonderful country Canada is or why you must fight for "freedom" and the other clap trap the military industrial complex have indoctrinated the masses with we do here.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Being conservative in Canada is more like being a U.S. Democrat.. that's how liberal their society is. Conservatism in Canada or in places like the UK doesn't come anywhere close to American style right wing conservatism.
Globalism can change that. And if American corporatists have their way, Canada will be as screwed up as the U.S. is.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Harper socially liberal? LOL!
I wouldn't refer to an anti-environmentalist, pro-life, anti-gay rights, anti-pot legalization, "tough on crime" Bible thumper like Harper as "socially liberal". He's sane, but he's definitely a social conservative.

Harper
Sounds like a typical Republican to me, although I'm sure he is more centered than the some of the more strident ideologues in the GOP

Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If Canada is so conservative, where is the outcry to switch to the American system of healthcare delivery?

Not where but when.

It's when they develop a serious illness.

Say Anything » Canadian Premier Unapologetic About Coming To America For Health Care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies