Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
not good enough....that is like saying, well....everyone can just give up..don't worry, we will take from those hard working folks and give to those who are not working..
So what do you propose to do to prevent a massive wave of hunger and homelessness? If you don't have a solution in mind, then I think it's safe to assume that you just don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 01:14 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Assuming the outlandish figure of 43-45% is actually correct, you really believe that all those people just made really bad decisions in life? Awfully smug of you.
Yep, alot of bad decisions...

Lots of options -

Have a college degree or multiple
Be willing to relocate for a job
Work multiple low paying jobs
For me - don't have children and wait to get maried until after 30
Put money in savings and don't over extend to allow for a rainy day fund...
Start a business

Opportunity is for the taking. If I were committed to stay in one geography, unwilling to take a hit on my home sale, unwilling to go back to school or work multiple jobs - guess my options woulod be limited.
I feeel bad for people for sure, and recognize for many this is beyond theri control....but the Govt has plenty of money...it chooses how to spend it unwisely..and the answer isn't to take form the successful and give to incompetent Was politicians....

Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
So what do you propose to do to prevent a massive wave of hunger and homelessness? If you don't have a solution in mind, then I think it's safe to assume that you just don't care.
I propose that these people that are in danger of this to wake the heck up and figure out a plan. I have enough to worry about.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
They are sitting on it because they are waiting to see if Obama gets his way in forcing higher taxes and regulations that will hurt businesses. They are also sitting on it until they are able to see how much Obamacare is going to cost them.[/color][/b]
How convenient. They can claim to be worried about his policies, and their consequent disinvestment makes the "worry" a self-fulfilling prophecy that might help elect their favored candidate next time around, when they can claim "everything is so much better now" and start investing in an unregulated free-for-all.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I propose that these people that are in danger of this to wake the heck up and figure out a plan. I have enough to worry about.
So you don't care.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
So you don't care.
Nope, I have my own worries like I said and I'm not proposing dropping them in your or anyone else's lap but my own. That's called accountability.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Sure I have solutions, but Big Govt is getting in the way -

Bring certainty back for Business andLower corporate tax rates - they are among the highestin teh world. Business is not going to both pay taxes to Govt and hire alot of people...it is one or the other.

1x Repatriation of overseas dollars at low tax rates to bring back to US

Better carrot and stick incentives to encourage US hiring/penalteis for overseas hiring

Lowercapital gains tax - those so called wealthy would begin spending money if these rates were lowered.

None of these things have been tried. It is the private sector which will save the economy and not govt. Until Govt gets out of the way, with a balance of social programs and Business friendly policies I see things as anemic.

However, trying to hit those folks up with the money simly becasue they have the money will casue them to be even more creative in finding ways to keep their money out of the US economy.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
So you don't care.
Caring doesn't mean getting stuck with the bill...

Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Caring doesn't mean getting stuck with the bill...
Exactly. I feel for these people, but there is nothing I can personally do without making my own situation worse.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Sure I have solutions, but Big Govt is getting in the way -

Bring certainty back for Business andLower corporate tax rates - they are among the highestin teh world. Business is not going to both pay taxes to Govt and hire alot of people...it is one or the other.

1x Repatriation of overseas dollars at low tax rates to bring back to US

Better carrot and stick incentives to encourage US hiring/penalteis for overseas hiring

Lowercapital gains tax - those so called wealthy would begin spending money if these rates were lowered.

None of these things have been tried. It is the private sector which will save the economy and not govt. Until Govt gets out of the way, with a balance of social programs and Business friendly policies I see things as anemic.

However, trying to hit those folks up with the money simly becasue they have the money will casue them to be even more creative in finding ways to keep their money out of the US economy.
See, now we're getting somewhere. A discussion of what will and won't work. NOT a judgmental lecture about "whose money it is" and who has better "habits." Good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies