Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, it's absolutely true. Nobody is ever an enemy to freedom. All is always well. There has never been anyone on the face of this earth who has ever had any desire to control another human being. Nobody has ever, is, or ever will attempt to restrict your rights.

There... does that make the warm fuzzies warmer?
Anyone that cannot discern the real threats and issues from the clutter of charlatans after their money and the occasional nutjob....get what they deserve.

If all you can respond with is a 5th grade strawman argument then stop wasting my time.

This forum is littered with chicken little scare threads....and some quite intelligent and informative threads relating to self-sufficiency, preparedness etc. It just seems you can fool some of the people all of the time....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Point well taken.

Over at SurvivalBlog dot com (highly recommended), James Wesley Rawles has proposed what he calls the Great American Redoubt, which is a place where real patriots can defend their freedoms and live as they choose. He has designated Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and the eastern portions of Washington and Oregon as the redoubt area. Awfully pretty country out there.
Just providing a link for convenience:

Move to the Mountain States--The American Redoubt - SurvivalBlog.com

Chuck Baldwin -- The American Redoubt
Chuck Baldwin -- The Hardest Decision Of My Life

Little heavy on the religious stuff.... but nonetheless...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
It will never be valid in the US, won't pass the "snif" test and even IF congress is dumb enough to ratify it and foolish President sign it....it will be tossed out by the SCOTUS.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:22 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default Priority

I am not so worried about the content of the treaty as much as I am worried that our President should even consider a UN action as superior to the US laws.

Somehow, his priorities are confused. He should be looking out for our interests first. He is the President of the US, not the world.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I am not so worried about the content of the treaty as much as I am worried that our President should even consider a UN action as superior to the US laws.

Somehow, his priorities are confused. He should be looking out for our interests first. He is the President of the US, not the world.
I wonder? The USA today the world tomorrow........

Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
It will never be valid in the US, won't pass the "snif" test and even IF congress is dumb enough to ratify it and foolish President sign it....it will be tossed out by the SCOTUS.
The Supreme Court decided this issue years ago. But it's still a good fund-raising tool. It also keeps the people from focusing on real issues; it's what the Soviets called disinformation.

Reid v. Covert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 AM

25,742 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Anyone that cannot discern the real threats and issues from the clutter of charlatans after their money and the occasional nutjob....get what they deserve.

If all you can respond with is a 5th grade strawman argument then stop wasting my time.

This forum is littered with chicken little scare threads....and some quite intelligent and informative threads relating to self-sufficiency, preparedness etc. It just seems you can fool some of the people all of the time....
As I've told you before, you need to recognize a speltman when you see one. You keep calling it a strawman. Let's get it straight. The only person wasting your time is you.

And the forum is also littered with people who feel they are walking down a path strewn with roses. And that it will always be that way for them. How absolutely charming. Blind, but charming.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:32 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Chris usually a couple hours with out power changes that mind set. But then no sooner does the power come back on and everyone forgets it went off in the first place. I suggest you buy a hand crank or battery radio to listen in on the fun..

I have been thru 2 ice stroms where the weather was fairly mild as it is in ice storms, and at kick back and relax time after helping thouse that could be helped I past the time away listening to people who had ice, and lots of it complain and whine over the radio about foods going to waste, and how miserable they were in a house at around 45 degrees.

Hell there isn't any wind to speak of in a ice storm, no rain, no flooding, just no power.

Both those times I made coffee and donuts to serve to work crews and both times I scared the pants off crews when they took up the offer of a place to rest.

It gets pretty hot in a place with a wood burned when you make coffee and donuts on it. I had windows open to let the excess heat out, and had dumped my metal file cabinets to ice up and keep meats. I didn't loose anything. I had water from a bucket both times too, all the water I could want much less need.

The nice thing about the radio is when you get sick of that whine, you can turn if off.

Another time is was winds... I lived on the coast then, and the high tide came up over the road and put the power out. First I went kayaking in the street for grins, then when I went home, I lit oil lamps for light, didn't want or need heat that time. I hauled the radio out of my car and the battery and brought them inside to rock out. I ended up with a house party that night.

The only bad thing that ever happend in storm to me is I went swimming all dressed since I hadn't planned to go swimming in the first place. In a wild Nor'easter I took off from work and went to Normans Woe a rock off Gloucester. There is a little park on the mainland but I forget it's name.

There with another guy I brought standing on a hill now gone, but it was there then I felt the loss of his precence. When I turned to see him, he was runing inland as fast as he could run. I turned back into the wind and saw a monster wave crash on the shore and that wave came up over the hill and washed me down the inland side into a pool of cold sea water. That part was ok, untill I saw the pool began to drain both ways around the hill and I was going into the sea with it. Ho Ho Ho did that put the hairs on my neck up! Passing a small pine tree I grabbed for it and struck...

I wasn't really happy about that whole thing. I went to show my current wife that hill one day, and it's plain gone. I don't know for sure, but I tend to think it was that 'Storm of the Century' that took the whole hill.

The going into the sea wasn't so much of a problem as the sea returning me to shore on the next wave coming in that was. That tends to be a hard landing. I have had that happen in full SCUBA gear more times than I liked, and it hurts.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The Supreme Court decided this issue years ago. But it's still a good fund-raising tool. It also keeps the people from focusing on real issues; it's what the Soviets called disinformation.

Reid v. Covert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The difference between now and then is that we have a POTUS who has made a habit of ignoring federal court orders and SCOTUS injunctions. He also places the authority of the UN above that of Congress as our current Sec. of State seems to do as well.

There is a whole lot of disinformation going on. I find it best to check the calenders of the US House and Senate to see what is happening and check on bills to see if they have co-sponsors or are stuck in committee if they might be of concern.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:46 PM

25,742 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Chris usually a couple hours with out power changes that mind set. But then no sooner does the power come back on and everyone forgets it went off in the first place.
Truer words have never been spoken. This should be etched in stone on a mountaintop somewhere. It's a shame it's like this. It never used to be. Even when I was a kid. But it certainly is now and it's very hard to understand why the drastic change in mindset has occurred. I understand that an entire generation or two has been pampered. But why would anyone assume that it will always be that way? It never has been in the past and there is really nothing special about our generations other than the fact they think they are special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies