Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,465 times

Advertisements

These lasted military actions may be due to intel found at OBL's lair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
I hate imperialism.
Why the heck do we have to be in Yemen, for goodness sake.

Last edited by SNEwx_46; 06-09-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
I hate imperialism.
Why the heck to we have to be in Yemen, for goodness sake.
Thank god someone asked.

We need better, and universal, healthcare at home.

Really, that's not it?

Well what are the countries everyone compares the US to when UHC comes up?

All western democracies?

No, that would mean UHC benefits from imperialism and US interventions. After all they're not doing it for you but for country and democracy.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:40 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
We have been at war with Al Qaeda wherever they live.
So glad you could join us Dubya. Retirement keepin' you busy?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Obama is rooting out the terrorists.

One thing I can agree with.
So we need to invade and occupy every nation in the world where terrorists might be, to root out those who hate us for our militaristic arrogance? Considering we have already spent well over $1 trillion dollars on foreign wars supposedly in retaliation for terrorism, exactly how much success have we achieved? Are there less terrorists now? Do they hate us any less? Are we safer? Certainly the over 6,000 American servicemen killed in these wars thanks to Washington's choice are not safer, when only 3,000 were killed by terrorism on 9/11. If anything, waging wars around the world only proves to terrorists that America IS incredibly arrogant, militaristic, and dangerous to the rest of the world. Had we NOT waged multiple wars, but simply did the things we needed to do to protect ourselves, we would have accomplished our objective AND saved a trillion dollars that we could have spent on productive and benevolent things.

Considering that our economy has collapsed now that Middle Class jobs are overseas for good, and our federal government alone is over $14.3 trillion in debt, with another $1.65 trillion added onto that every year, exactly HOW MUCH MORE money must we borrow and pay interest on to feed the War Machine? Remember, we've already borrowed so much compared to our GNP ("A latest Treasury report predicts that the national debt will be 102 percent of the country's gross domestic product before this year is over." How the Federal Debt Is Drowning the U.S. Economy in Red Ink | Sunshine State News), that we're looking at Greece-style austerity measures within the next 2 years, and probable loss of reserve currency status, meaning skyrocketing interest rates when interest ALREADY consumes a huge part of the budget.

The nation is bankrupt, our national debt is basically impossible to deal with, our government has grown out of control and absurdly expensive, our economy is gutted, the Middle Class is largely gone, the Baby Boom is in the process of retiring (with the entire SS Trust Fund already spent on other things), national infrastructure is crumbling, and we face a "Perfect Storm" of disasters all hitting at once.

Unless we really want to see an America where most of us are starving in the streets, and the "lucky" few must work 80 hour weeks for minimum wage and then turn 95% of their income over to the government, we have to abandon the idea of continuing to waste money waging pointless and unwinnable wars.

Government would love to further gut Social Security and Medicare (the only program that most citizens get ANYTHING back from, in return for insane taxes on everything), in order to keep the money flowing to the Halliburtons and shadow government activities and overt War Machine industry. Don't think the government point to every single person out there who ignores the insane cost and says, "Yea! More Wars! Whomp those terrorists!" Washington would LOVE to continue to feed the Military-Industrial Complex while the American people starve in the streets and give everything they earn to government.

I must ask, since half of the people don't pay a penny in federal income tax (though they do pay FICA tax, which for decades produced excess funds that were stolen from the SS Trust Fund and went to pay for War-Mongering)--how many of those who DO pay significant amounts of federal income tax, support continued war-making and will sacrifice their own Social Security and Medicare to pay for it?

My family pays a large amount of federal income tax every year (for decades now), and I do not support ONE PENNY going to foreign wars. There has not been a necessary war since WWII, and if there IS a necessary one that actually threatens the U.S., we are ALREADY bankrupt, and couldn't afford to fight it.

Frankly, I did not work insane hours my whole life to feed a corrupt and evil Military-Industrial complex, and Washington has already slashed my generation's promised benefits significantly, when they raised the SS taxes in 1983 and raised the retirement age for a total 4 years of lost benefits to my spouse and I. It's the ONE program through which I might recover a small amount of the HUGE part of my lifetime earnings that was confiscated by government.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Obama is rooting out the terrorists.

One thing I can agree with.
I've got a couple problems with this analysis;

Obama is not rooting out anything. The military and intelligence agencies are the ones taking the risks and dealing with the terrorists. At best Obama is not hampering their efforts though even that is questionable.

If this administration were serious about limiting terrorist access they'd be putting a great deal more effort into securing the borders.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
US intensifying secret campaign of Yemen airstrikes

The Obama administration has intensified the American covert war in Yemen, exploiting a growing power vacuum in the country to strike at militant suspects with armed drones and fighter jets, according to American officials.

Is this good or bad?
This is a great example of the kind of transparency the Great and Mighty Oz-bama and Nasty Nancy were talking about when they promised all that transparency in 2008. The thing that bothers me is seeing the word covert when a report is being made about what is going on.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
USA world police.

If Republicans had allowed defense spending to be cut more, or supported alternative forms of transportation fuel (natural gas), then maybe we wouldn't have the military to play world police, and maybe we wouldn't need to protect the middle east due to their oil.

Democrats are faulty too. They didn't cut spending enough, and continue to allow the use of oil as a reason for war, and continue to fund this huge military.

If you don't like playing world police, tell your congressman to quit funding the military. Its already costing us 4 times more then the entire rest of the world combined spends. I'd be satisfied with a military that cost twice what the rest of the world combined does, how about you?
Natural gas is not an alternative fuel but it is the cleanest burning of the fossil fuels.

As for the spending of money I keep wondering how telling my Congressmen to vote against it would work since we are nearly through the second year without a Congress created budget. That allows Obama to spend money that has not been okayed by Congress. That may be the reason Harry Reid doesn't want to see a budget that he said he sees no reason to have.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If we had only listened to Eisenhower instead of Reagan.
They only served 30 years apart and many things took place in that period.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
US intensifying secret campaign of Yemen airstrikes

The Obama administration has intensified the American covert war in Yemen, exploiting a growing power vacuum in the country to strike at militant suspects with armed drones and fighter jets, according to American officials.

Is this good or bad?
Well there is a new one about once a month. Got to keep those poll ratings up...you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies