Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:54 PM

541 posts, read 1,899,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Oh my friend, I have quite a substantial bit to say, and love reveling in your hypocrisy.

First, you post in regards to your "studying" for 10 years in economics, and this IS YOUR FIRST TIME reading or hearing of Hazlitt? Then when I point out that this is another "Austrian" school post you reply with...what was it...oh yes

So, let's see...one points out that it's another "Austrian" thread, and you respond w/ attack?

If you've been studying economics for 10 years as you claim then you should or would have heard of not only the "Austrian" school theories, but Hazlitt and many of the others as well. And if you've heard of the others, then you would of have to of heard of Hazlitt.

Your OP was a blatant attempt to "troll" comments and arguments re: Austrian theories and modern day economic theories and situations. It's okay, you can admit it. We all know that's what you're attempting to do surreptitiously, but are not doing it very well at all.

Instead, next time ask "Finished new book re:XXX. Want to argue positions about it?!"

You'll be more honest and won't have to attempt to be "shocked" when people accuse you of trolling.

And threatened? No, not in the least. Annoyed w/ your school yard attempts at getting into an economic argument? Yeah. If you want to argue economics, just ask for one. I'll be your Huckleberry. But don't try to pull the wool over...it's just annoying.
Given that mainstream economics in the US revolves around Keynes and Friedman I don't find it impossible to believe he barely discovered Hazlitt's book.

I took several econ classes in college and the Austrian perspective is never mentioned. It's all Friedman or Keynes.

Last edited by MStant1; 06-09-2011 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 PM

355 posts, read 209,004 times
Quote:
Oh my friend, I have quite a substantial bit to say, and love reveling in your hypocrisy.
Your arrogance is most astounding.

Quote:
First, you post in regards to your "studying" for 10 years in economics, and this IS YOUR FIRST TIME reading or hearing of Hazlitt? Then when I point out that this is another "Austrian" school post you reply with...what was it...oh yes
Mainstream economics do not teach Austrian economics. None of my macroeconomist teachers have even heard of Rothbard, yet you expect them to be learned in Hazlitt.

Quote:
So, let's see...one points out that it's another "Austrian" thread, and you respond w/ attack?
I didn't attack, I only defended myself from ludicrous attacks, such as this one.

Quote:
If you've been studying economics for 10 years as you claim then you should or would have heard of not only the "Austrian" school theories, but Hazlitt and many of the others as well. And if you've heard of the others, then you would of have to of heard of Hazlitt.
Only George Mason and Loyola teach Austrian economics. You are ignorant and do not know what you are talking about. Attend any other graduate school for economics and you will be submersed in higher order math and the neoclassical paradigm.

Quote:
Your OP was a blatant attempt to "troll" comments and arguments re: Austrian theories and modern day economic theories and situations. It's okay, you can admit it. We all know that's what you're attempting to do surreptitiously, but are not doing it very well at all.
I found a precious gem and wanted to see if others found it. I wasn't trolling. I was only trolling in your paranoid mind.

Quote:
Instead, next time ask "Finished new book re:XXX. Want to argue positions about it?!" You'll be more honest and won't have to attempt to be "shocked" when people accuse you of trolling.
As for now, you are the last person I will come for suggestions.

Quote:
And threatened? No, not in the least. Annoyed w/ your school yard attempts at getting into an economic argument? Yeah. If you want to argue economics, just ask for one. I'll be your Huckleberry. But don't try to pull the wool over...it's just annoying.
Yawn, you are threatened. Hence your replies, distortions, and logical fallacies. You are in attack mode, and that sends a signal of being threatened. Lie about it all you want, but you won't sway my mind.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
Given that mainstream economics in the US revolves around Keynes and Friedman I don't find it impossible to believe he barely discovered Hazlitt's book.

I tooke several econ classes in college and the Austrian perspective is never mentioned. It's all Friedman or Keynes.
Austrian school is not taught in college economics. Heck, my macro teacher did not even know who founded the Austrian school.

It is simply not taught. In fact, no school is taught, unless it is implied neoclassicism. Most graduate economics is simply math based with little to no theoretical background since neoclassicism is taken to be the truth that is not challenged.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,073,542 times
Quote:

I tooke several econ classes in college and the Austrian perspective is never mentioned. It's all Friedman or Keynes.

I would agree if one is in the midst of a Bachelor's in Economics that one may not have heard of Hazlitt. Yet the OP says he's been studying economics for 10 years. Clearly even if only part time that is no where near a B.S. or B.A. in Economics. If the OP, is even a casual layperson studying economic theories, it would be almost impossible to conceive that within a 10 year time frame that one would NEVER come across the Austrian theoretical school of thought. Especially given that Austrian economics is akin to the "smoking cloves"...."discovery" part of economic immersion. It's something that you dally with but when the light of day comes upon it, it has more questions than answers.

Clearly if the OP is a undergrad, I can understand his "enthrallment" with the new found "religion". But then the OP would be seriously mis-representing him/her-self.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM

541 posts, read 1,899,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
Austrian school is not taught in college economics. Heck, my macro teacher did not even know who founded the Austrian school.

It is simply not taught. In fact, no school is taught, unless it is implied neoclassicism. Most graduate economics is simply math based with little to no theoretical background since neoclassicism is taken to be the truth that is not challenged.
I only discovered the austrian perspective from further researching libertarianism after reading some of Milton Friedman's books. I have since moved away from Friedman.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I would agree if one is in the midst of a Bachelor's in Economics that one may not have heard of Hazlitt. Yet the OP says he's been studying economics for 10 years. Clearly even if only part time that is no where near a B.S. or B.A. in Economics. If the OP, is even a casual layperson studying economic theories, it would be almost impossible to conceive that within a 10 year time frame that one would NEVER come across the Austrian theoretical school of thought. Especially given that Austrian economics is akin to the "smoking cloves"...."discovery" part of economic immersion. It's something that you dally with but when the light of day comes upon it, it has more questions than answers.

Clearly if the OP is a undergrad, I can understand his "enthrallment" with the new found "religion". But then the OP would be seriously mis-representing him/her-self.
I have an undergrad in economics and been to three different graduate schools, even though one of them was passing time and I wasn't serious about it. I have a M.A. in economics with additional years at the Ph.D. level.

Nowhere in my studies have my professors elucidated me on Austrian economics.

Keep trolling, champ. You don't mind if I call you champ now on, do you?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I only discovered the austrian perspective from further researching libertarianism after reading some of Milton Friedman's books. I have since moved away from Friedman.
David Friedman is good. The Machinery of Freedom is a classic.

Milton tends to be a kook at times and neoliberalism and the Chicago school of thought breaks down.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,183,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Country Government Expenditures as % GDP

France 61.1
Hungary 59.1
Guyana 58.8
Czech Republic 58.8
Sweden 58.1
Denmark 58.1
Iceland 58.1
Norway 55.8
Italy 55.
Netherlands 54.7
Austria 54.3
Finland 54.2
Portugal 54.1
Greece 50.7
UK 50.0
Germany 48.8
Canada 48.2
Spain 47.3
New Zealand 46.6
Israel 43.6
Australia 43.6
Ireland 41.5
Switzerland 37.8
US 19.9
Is that counting all levels of government? The US spends over $6.2 trillion in all levels.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,073,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
Your arrogance is most astounding.

Mainstream economics do not teach Austrian economics. None of my macroeconomist teachers have even heard of Rothbard, yet you expect them to be learned in Hazlitt.

I didn't attack, I only defended myself from ludicrous attacks, such as this one.

Only George Mason and Loyola teach Austrian economics. You are ignorant and do not know what you are talking about. Attend any other graduate school for economics and you will be submersed in higher order math and the neoclassical paradigm.

I found a precious gem and wanted to see if others found it. I wasn't trolling. I was only trolling in your paranoid mind.

As for now, you are the last person I will come for suggestions.

Yawn, you are threatened. Hence your replies, distortions, and logical fallacies. You are in attack mode, and that sends a signal of being threatened. Lie about it all you want, but you won't sway my mind.

Yes indeed. MY arrogance is astounding. What you're witnessing, my friend is my light shining right through your B.S.

If none of your macro-economic "teachers" have not heard of Rothbard (which is now another "Austrian" persona that you mention, yet previously said you were unaware of works by such people) you should immediately withdraw from your classes and pursue study at an accredited and more prestigious institution. If you're looking for an in-depth and expanded research and tutelage in Austrian economic theory...well as you mentioned your screwed in the U.S.

Sure you did. You attacked and were shocked to be attacked back. It is indeed a real world application of supply and demand. You demand it, I'll supply it.

Indeed, higher order economic disciplines will involve much more math and scientific model creation. Hence the way to flesh out working theories and proofs. Again, if you want a more in-depth dialogue into that specific sub-category of economic theory then you will have to find somewhere else to study.

You "found" a precious gem. Yeah, you've already been busted for trolling. Now you're just making a fool of yourself.

Please, do make me the last person. Your insane rantings are not only tiresome, but plain old boring. Threatened you say? Yes....yes I am. By your lack of understanding, your attempt at petty school yard bullying and by those like you who feign ignorance of their crimes, yet knowingly and brashly continue to repeat them time and time again.

I won't sway in your mind? Dear friend, I already am.

Be gone, be gone little one. You have been tested...and have been found lacking.

Study that in your macro economics study guide...if indeed that is what you're doing.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yes indeed. MY arrogance is astounding. What you're witnessing, my friend is my light shining right through your B.S.

If none of your macro-economic "teachers" have not heard of Rothbard (which is now another "Austrian" persona that you mention, yet previously said you were unaware of works by such people) you should immediately withdraw from your classes and pursue study at an accredited and more prestigious institution. If you're looking for an in-depth and expanded research and tutelage in Austrian economic theory...well as you mentioned your screwed in the U.S.
I teach now, with an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5. So, take your suggestions and shove them.

Quote:
Sure you did. You attacked and were shocked to be attacked back. It is indeed a real world application of supply and demand. You demand it, I'll supply it.
Where in my OP did I attack anyone? Get a life and grow up. I never attacked anyone, except now. I grow tired of your ludicrous and erroneous claims.

Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies