Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
Hence why Friedman advocated for a continual, hands-off, of expanding the money supply by 2%-3% per year.

He wasn't so far off.

FA Hayek summarizes my critique of monetarism best:

"Its chief defects in any situation seems to me to be that by its stress on the effects of changes in the quantity of money on the general level of prices it disregards the harmful effects of the injections and withdrawals of amounts of money from circulation on the structure of relative prices and the consequent misallocation of resources and particularly the misdirection of investments which it causes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 PM

355 posts, read 209,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Debt free currency, not debt based Federal Reserve type.
Don't tell me. Instead, hope in your Delorean and tell Greenspan that.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post

"Its chief defects in any situation seems to me to be that by its stress on the effects of changes in the quantity of money on the general level of prices it disregards the harmful effects of the injections and withdrawals of amounts of money from circulation on the structure of relative prices and the consequent misallocation of resources and particularly the misdirection of investments which it causes."
Let's clear something up. I am not defending monetarism. I was just interjecting where I saw misunderstanding.

Additionally, I understand Hayek's concern, but I don't see a solution. What is Hayek's solution to a growing economy with a limited money supply?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Also given the track record of his ideas and those of guy like Milton Friedman I'd take Keynes ideas any day of the week.
Milton Friedman corrected several of the Keynesian economic models and recalculated some of the relationships pivotal to that economic school. Modern Keynesians are using Friedman's recalculated models. By dismissing Friedman, you dismiss Keynes.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Let's clear something up. I am not defending monetarism. I was just interjecting where I saw misunderstanding.

Additionally, I understand Hayek's concern, but I don't see a solution. What is Hayek's solution to a growing economy with a limited money supply?
I admit I over simplified Milton Friedman's positions. It was on purpose.

I would assume Hayek, as others in the Austrian school, would argue that you should do nothing. According to the Austrian Business Cycle Theory credit crunch is an economy trying to self correct as a result of over expansion.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I would assume Hayek, as others in the Austrian school, would argue that you should do nothing. According to the Austrian Business Cycle Theory credit crunch is an economy trying to self correct as a result of over expansion.
I realize this, but what is their policy for an expanding economy? The monetarist advocate a steady increase in the money supply during expansion.

I do believe that they advocate nothing, and actually advocate deflation since wealth comes from producing more goods and services at more efficient levels and that money is just veil, but I am unsure of this.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I realize this, but what is their policy for an expanding economy? The monetarist advocate a steady increase in the money supply during expansion.

I do believe that they advocate nothing, and actually advocate deflation since wealth comes from producing more goods and services at more efficient levels and that money is just veil, but I am unsure of this.
You answered your own question (minus the uncertainty) and in a more articulate fashion than I would have. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
You answered your own question (minus the uncertainty) and in a more articulate fashion than I would have. Thanks.
lol....but Austrian would not advocate nothing regarding the money supply. In fact, they advocate increased competition.

I do believe that this stems backs from war mongering states, where the government monopoly on the money supply completely eroded the value of it. Centralized and war mongering governments left a bad taste in the freedom loving Austrians.

Austrians advocate competition, not centralization. How this would work out is yet to be seen since brave Americans are afraid to take risks, but instead look for guidance from the Federal Reserve and the Executive branch.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:

Do you know of ANY economic theory that will counteract "misallocation of resources and particularly the misdirection of investments" in a democratic society with a capitalist economic system?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Including what Keynes said about military spending and wars being efficient means of growing the economy and providing jobs?
Would you care to cite a specifc source for that particular comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies