Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
We already discussed this.....you guys had power for 12 very long very disatrous years. Your whining is covering your listening ears. Oh, and guess what? We are the ones that actually WON the election, that is what is killing the Republican. The country was ALREADY in the toilet, our party has been trying to roto-rooter it clean again!
What 12 years are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What 12 years are you talking about?
I doubt that she knows. She thought that the Reps were now in charge of Congress. geesh!!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Here is a video and article about the Republicans intentionally sabotaging the economy for political gain.

Are Republicans Intentionally Sabotaging Economy For Political Gain? - Yahoo! Finance
Of course they are! If only the Democrats and Obama could lift debt ceiling, implement cap and trade,
declare amnesty for illegals, end "bush's tax cuts for the rich", expand entitlement programs and so forth the economy would be booming.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,730 times
Default Absolutely, well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You cannot just look at raw numbers, and ignore everything else, as if the massive deficit spending and 0bama policies have zero impact. 0bama is riding on the longest financial decline in almost a century, and looking at some statistics that do not reflect this, does not mean its simply normal, or that it's not 0bama's fault. Nor is it necessarily his fault. When all things are considered.

The president can destroy incentives for economic growth, by proposing and signing regulations that hamper growth, like signing 0bamaCareI'm assuming you mean the Affordable Healthcare Act? The one that allowed people with pre-existing conditions to be covered by insurance? The one that allowed 25 year olds to stay on their parents policy? The one that made sure insurance companies used 80% of their earnings to actually cover medical expenses rather than corporate salaries, bonuses and vacations? The healthcare act?and the Dodd-Frank Financial Regulation.I don't know this act by name, maybe in your next post you can describe what it actually does and if I do know about it I'll respons, if I don't its one of those things I will allow others to argue pro/con on rather than look like someone trying to pretend they DO know something when in fact they don't. The president can cause havoc in the private sector by playing to corporate cronyism, and rewarding his chosen winners and punishing his chosen enemies.Very true, as is the case with every president. We are seeing this right now with 0bamaCare(not sure what that is....is it something like Ryancaid?) waivers and federal subsidies for green energy,which we have been trying to put in place since the 60's and have not yet won that battle against the oil gazillionaires/but people are smarter and know we need to/thus the tide is turning. and the full out attack on fossil fuel exploration and production. Its not an attack, its simply redirecting the limited funds to other sources that have been sorely underfunded for 50 years.

The president, thru the executive branch, can also establish policies that starve our energy production to drive up the cost of energy, these negative effects will ripple throughout the economy, casing economic destruction.He could, should he want to stall the economy for some reason....which makes no sense at all....or he could be establishing policy that keeps the speculators from driving up the costs when the actual cost hasn't actually increased at all. Stop the wall street speculation, regulate it, quit letting the same old Bazillionaiires keep adding to their humungous piles of gold and bring some money to the small businesspeople who have tried to get their green energy idea off the ground for years. My dad had a wonderful electric car put all the way thru all the government red tape and was stopped by oil company producers and their bought and paid for politicians all the way back in the early 70's. Its time to redirect government funds to those that actually need them and take them away from those that don't.

The president can also push his agenda to spend, spend and spend, running up the national debt, printing trillions of dollars and monetizing the debt, renew his threats to create new tax increases and new oppressive regulations. all of these have caused businesses to shrink, to ride out the impending 0bama government storm. You guys always seem to say the sky is falling.....yet it hasn't....it isn't going to....Obama is a reasoned, intelligent man that clearly works thru these iissues bringing in the best and the brightest minds from all over the realm, on both sides of the aisle before he makes even the slightest moves. there is no crazy cowboy in this guy. He is all reason even getting on the last nerves of some Progressives, who would like to see him not be so thoughtful and just ram stuff through.

Yes, the president can certainly cause the economy to falter, sputter and crash, and businesses to shrink to become as small a target as possible, in an attempt to avoid the gaze of the president’s attack dogs.I've never seen an Obama attack dog? Who would these wild crazy vicious dogs be? 0bama has written the book on how destructive the government can be to the economy.
Well that can't be true, the government actually destroyed the economy in the last administration....so how could Obama have written the book unless it was an expose? You haven't convinced me or changed my views, but a GREAT conversation! Thanks

Old 06-10-2011, 12:44 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Is this a set-up? Or do you sincerely want to know some items on my list?

Both, people who hold these views are usually naive. Of course there is game playing in politics, the ultimate goal is to pass laws that advance your beliefs, you want to win!

Unless there is some neutral solution I am unaware of, I suspect your solutions to the economy will evoke strong reactions from one side or the other. I wouldn't accuse you of playing games, nor them, both sides believe they are right. Unfortunately only one side can be.

It is intreresting to not the one person in Congress who isn't playing any games is being villified beyond recognition, Paul Ryan. He is advancing an idea that is honest, plain spoken and fraught with political danger for him. Instead of debating the issue on it's merit. it is being demogogued by the left, because they want to win, they want to advance their ideology!

How do you compromise on spending when one side wants to spend trillions and one wants to cut trillions, and that is just one issue.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I doubt that she knows. She thought that the Reps were now in charge of Congress. geesh!!
I have asked repeatedly. This poster should observe and learn and participate less.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Are Republicans Intentionally Sabotaging Economy For Political Gain? Of course they are. Why would they want the economy to improve under the watch of President Obama? A few top GOP leaders in congress came out and said that their goal was to make sure Obama would fail and not get re-elected. The GOP is playing politics with the lives of the American People when so many don't have a job. A strong growing economy would clearly lead to the re-election of Obama. Keep in mind the economy is improving even though its improving slowly. People don't realize how much Bush messed this country up. We were on the brink of a great depression and Obama stopped the economy from free falling. The bail outs did help btw. One thing to note is that while the economy is growing, its growing at a slower rate than a year ago. This slide seems to coincide with the GOP house take over in Washington. The GOP has been able to shut down the Obama agenda and thats whats hurting the economy, not Obama's policies.
Spot on!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Default I told you so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Asking again, would you like to discuss my post (#83), instead of continuing the parrot the rhetoric?

If you come here for discussion, how about you do more than you show? A good start would be to take my post (#83) and discuss it. I will look forward to it.
The right never talks "on topic", well for the most part. You had way too much good information in that post for them to respond to. Whistling in the wind EG!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Not to mention the 12 years you had TOTAL control, yet you wrecked the economy anyway. Where I'll try and ask yet again.....in the GOP JOBS bill they ran on????
12 years???

Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Are Republicans Intentionally Sabotaging Economy For Political Gain? Of course they are. Why would they want the economy to improve under the watch of President Obama? A few top GOP leaders in congress came out and said that their goal was to make sure Obama would fail and not get re-elected. The GOP is playing politics with the lives of the American People when so many don't have a job. A strong growing economy would clearly lead to the re-election of Obama. Keep in mind the economy is improving even though its improving slowly. People don't realize how much Bush messed this country up. We were on the brink of a great depression and Obama stopped the economy from free falling. The bail outs did help btw. One thing to note is that while the economy is growing, its growing at a slower rate than a year ago. This slide seems to coincide with the GOP house take over in Washington. The GOP has been able to shut down the Obama agenda and thats whats hurting the economy, not Obama's policies.

Maybe. Thanks George!!!

Bush: Bailout plan necessary to deal with crisis - CNN

"U.S. President George W. Bush, saying "our entire economy is in danger," urged Congress to approve his administration's $700 billion bailout proposal.
"We're in the midst of a serious financial crisis, and the federal government is responding with decisive actions," Bush said in a televised address Wednesday night from the White House.
Bush pointed out that the collapse of several major lenders was rooted in the subprime mortgage market that thrived over the past decade.
He said passage of the $700 billion bailout proposal was needed to restore confidence in the market."

You were saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies