Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 01:05 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Again with the willful ignorance. What part of pro-life democrats did you not understand?
The part where you think it is somehow relevant to the discussion.

Of course there are. So what. That does not make it any less of a political issue, in fact, it makes it more of one, because it is not something that can be easily split and labeled between two political parties.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:06 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Not as long as we have a Constitution and an independent judiciary.

The rights enshrined therein are not subject to majority rule.

Why do I always have to remind you people of this basic fact of American civics?
You people?

Can you name me another constitutional "right" that results in guaranteed death?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:07 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,462,737 times
Quote:
Oh, so some life is of more value than other lives? A 3 month old is not as developed as a 3 year old, so his life is of less intrinsic worth, eh?

As soon as an egg becomes fertilized, it becomes an embryo with it's own dna.
Animals are more developed than a fetus, but that doesn't mean that pro-lifers are all vegetarians. They obviously don't believe that animals have a the right to survive and that we have the right to kill them.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Honestly, the majority of you are missing the point here. The point is that women ARE sometimes coerced into having abortions. The point is that many women suffer psychological trauma afterward. The point is that the vast majority of women do not receive the proper counseling prior to and after having the abortion, which leads to all sorts of negative feelings about the procedure and themselves.

The point is NOT the typical abortion debate about when life begins. The point is NOT my personal feelings on abortion and those who support abortion. The point is NOT to discuss choice or no choice.

Maybe I didn't phrase the OP very well, but stop going off on tangents about all this other stuff.
They are sad BECAUSE they take it very seriously. They know they are keeping a baby from being born and that is a very serious decision for them to make.
I am sure there are women who abort although they don't really want to. Some for instance simply don't have the financial resources it takes to raise a child. Or they are alone and have nobody to take care of the baby if they want to attend college (which is important for young women these days, without a college degree you will likely not have a good life later on).

Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Except, most I know don't actually "support abortion". They support the woman's right to have the CHOICE of abortion if that's what SHE wants.
Quote:
Which is just a nice way of saying you support abortion. Doesn't matter how you want to spin it.
Except for the simple fact that I would never counsel any woman to have an abortion. I simply will not take the choice away from her.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Extremists'= Neo Prog code for not agreeing with them. Surprised you haven't pulled the Neo Prog trifecta yet and called me a racist and stupid.
I don't know what a "neo-prog" is, or even what you think it is. I'm a libertarian - I don't approve of the government getting invovled in personal medical decisions.

I also don't recall saying that you were racist or stupid. You are, IMHO, expressing opinions that are illogical and extremist, and doing so rather dishonestly.

Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Logical fallacies don't help advance your position.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Honestly, the majority of you are missing the point here. The point is that women ARE sometimes coerced into having abortions. The point is that many women suffer psychological trauma afterward. The point is that the vast majority of women do not receive the proper counseling prior to and after having the abortion, which leads to all sorts of negative feelings about the procedure and themselves.

The point is NOT the typical abortion debate about when life begins. The point is NOT my personal feelings on abortion and those who support abortion. The point is NOT to discuss choice or no choice.

Maybe I didn't phrase the OP very well, but stop going off on tangents about all this other stuff.
The exact same things could be said about women being coerced into having a baby they didn't want in the first place.

So.....what is your solution to avoid that?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Hmmmm......THIS study says that 80% of women do not regret their abortions and do not get depressed afterwards.

Study Says Most Women Don't Regret Abortion

Doesn't look like there is much coercion going on, does it?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
lets be obtuse shall we and ignore the facts of rape, incest and birth control failure
You are deflecting and projecting. My statement doesn't ignore anything.

1% were reported as rape or incest.

Birth control failure? I don't see where anyone has reported that as a reason.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Oh, so some life is of more value than other lives? A 3 month old is not as developed as a 3 year old, so his life is of less intrinsic worth, eh?

As soon as an egg becomes fertilized, it becomes an embryo with it's own dna.
You stated : "Plus, I never understood the people that say that it is not a life; one would have to suspend their belief and think that the pre-born baby is dead, despite brainwaves, heartbeat, etc. and then at some magical undetermined time, suddenly becomes alive" inferring brainwaves and heartbeat are the measure of the existence of a life. Are you denying that now?

The simple fact is brainwaves and a heartbeat DO NOT exist at conception and by your own previously stated standard a life DOES NOT exist at conception. Or will you continue to twist things around to support your beliefs, facts be damned?

A strand of hair contains DNA, does that make it a 'life'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies