Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Yes, in banks the clerks say, "I can help the next person," and there are people of every minority working in the banks. I have never, ever seen anyone refuse the next clerk . . .that would be very, very weird.

I don't dispute there is racism . . .maybe it is the field you are working in. Is it super old or super ignorant people you are assisting? Maybe it is the type of business you are in that is attracting the extremely racist factor - I still have a hard time thinking that this would be typical - I could see it happening once in a blue moon, because people are weird and you "see all kinds."
You are right. It is not typical at all. The town I work in has a lot to do with it -- it has a well known reputation for racism. I never experienced this sort of thing when I was working in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Don't you understand you can't change the mind of a prejudiced indivdual? If you can't accept that what I experienced was just plain old discrimination based on my skin color then so be it. I'll never change your mind and you won't change mine. Let's agree to disagree on this one.

Oh, someone already asked you the same question I just asked.

Your answer: you don't do or say anything. You simply project. And nobody is gonna change your prejudiced mind.

What kind of customer service rep can't say, "May I help you" to that person?

I'm with claudhopper...troll...bye, bye, now

Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Don't you understand you can't change the mind of a prejudiced indivdual? If you can't accept that what I experienced was just plain old discrimination based on my skin color then so be it. I'll never change your mind and you won't change mine. Let's agree to disagree on this one.
You won't understand that what I experienced from those black ladies was ignorant and reporting me to my manager to get me in trouble didn't help race relations. QUIT BEING SO SENSITIVE. People can get tired or distracted or this or that. We never know what is going on with people who walk in from the street. Maybe they are having a horrid time at home or they have a terminal illness, it doesn't have to be all about you.

Some people are uncomfortable around those who are not like them, same race, same religion, same background, etc. If people want to label behavior as racist then it just makes things more difficult and harder for people to relate to others of different races.

Last edited by janelle144; 06-12-2011 at 01:55 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Oh, someone already asked you the same question I just asked.

Your answer: you don't do or say anything. You simply project. And nobody is gonna change your prejudiced mind.

What kind of customer service rep can't say, "May I help you" to that person?

I'm with claudhopper...troll...bye, bye, now
Who say I don't do or say anything? Why are you trying to assume things to fit your viewpoint? There is no way I could have survived in this industry without a customer friendly attitude. I was just pointing out certain things that I have observed on the job.

I can understand your lack of empathy regarding this issue since you're not the one on the receiving end, but what I don't understand is your deliberate attempt to undermine and invalidate my experience because it doesn't fit your view of the world. Do you honestly think arguing back and forth with me is gonna change the facts surrounding the situation?

Old 06-12-2011, 03:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:

My question is: despite having an African American President, why does race continue to play such an overarching role in American society? I mean just look on the threads in this forum and at least 80% of them have something to do with race or race relations in America. When will race become a non-issue in America? Every time I think we've made some progress on the issue, I see something or hear something that brings me back down to earth.

I can't continue to live in a society like this. I've made up my mind that I'm moving to Canada when I get the chance. I know everything is not perfect there but at least they are not fixated on race like America is and they don't have to contend with the legacy of slavery.
You might be interested in following this topic, note i am the first responder and have similar views on Canada as yourself, observe the ensuing posts that basically put me in my place..
canada ethnicity/identidy------------->black

Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 AM

232 posts, read 221,244 times
OP you sound more and more pathetic as this thread drags on.

I officially don't like you and I don't even know what race you are yet.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:04 AM

92 posts, read 155,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You might be interested in following this topic, note i am the first responder and have similar views on Canada as yourself, observe the ensuing posts that basically put me in my place..
canada ethnicity/identidy------------->black
This is another thread that was an interesting read for those wondering about the same experience in specifically Toronto:

What is really like for Blacks in Toronto, Canada

Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
You know that feeling you get in your stomach when you know you have to go back to work the next day? That's how I feel right now... but it's not because my job sucks and I hate going to work. I feel this way because I know that at my job, it's likely that I will be subjected to racial discrimination - not from my employer or the people who I work with - but from the customers who I have to serve.

It's a dynamic that I didn't plan for when I got this job but it now affects almost all aspects of my work-life. I won't go into too much details about this as I touched on many of the things that I experienced in an earlier thread that I wrote. Suffice it say that it's an added burden that I have to bear as I try to fulfill my potential on the job. Sometimes I think about quitting my job just because of this but I love this field of work and don't want to give it up; and with the economy like this it would be almost impossible to survive.

My question is: despite having an African American President, why does race continue to play such an overarching role in American society? I mean just look on the threads in this forum and at least 80% of them have something to do with race or race relations in America. When will race become a non-issue in America? Every time I think we've made some progress on the issue, I see something or hear something that brings me back down to earth.

I can't continue to live in a society like this. I've made up my mind that I'm moving to Canada when I get the chance. I know everything is not perfect there but at least they are not fixated on race like America is and they don't have to contend with the legacy of slavery.

Awwwww....poor baby. Cue the violins.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think you might find that a lot of that race stuff here is from lefties calling people like me a racist because I didn't vote for Obama and sure as hell don't support him now. I don't get involved much in racial threads but always get called a racist because I refused to vote for him although his race meant nothing to me. It was the policies he promised to follow that kept me away from him.
I would wager that you have never been called a racist because you did not vote for President Obama.

Let's see you come up with even one post that provides evidence for this claim.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
I can't continue to live in a society like this. I've made up my mind that I'm moving to Canada when I get the chance.
seriously, what makes you think it's all rosey in canada have you been watching tv or reading or are friends telling you xyz? really, i want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies